Despite a curious lack of our own 100 Series Cruiser at the Overland International offices, we are nonetheless big fans of this world-proven platform. Always interested in new ways to improve on an already great machine, we were excited to see Just Differentials’ release of their new suspension kit. Below are the details direct from Carl Montoya:
The Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series has proven to be one of the most versatile platforms of any 4×4. Used worldwide, the vehicle blends on-road handling and comfort while retaining much of its off-road capability, ruggedness and durability. However, problems arise when you want to lift the vehicle and run larger tires. Most other suspension kits simply offer shocks, torsion bars, and coils and do nothing to address the suspension geometry, cv angles etc. If you plan to lift your vehicle over 1-1.5″ the other kits available present an issue as they offer very little suspension droop, which gives a harsh ride and is hard on your shocks.
The Just Differentials Upper Control Arms (UCA’s) allow you to run the included extended length 2.5″ diameter shocks for a much better ride, resistance to fading, superior dampening and increased performance as a result of the increased suspension travel. To maintain proper angles we include a powder-coated-bolt-on diff drop kit, premium quality Old Man Emu torsion bars, and improved coil springs to match your accessory and cargo carrying needs.
This kit has been installed the Just Differentials’ 1999 100 Series Land Cruiser along with 35” tires, Nitro 4.88 gears, ARB Air Locker and much more. The vehicle is daily driven and sees 20k miles annually making it the perfect testing platform for this suspension kit as well as many other products. So far the vehicle has seen 100,000+ miles of all types of driving from daily errands and highway commuting, to rigorous mountain snow and rugged-washboard dirt roads. Not only is this the most complete off-road suspension you can buy for your 100 series, it is also one of the smoothest riding and most daily-use-friendly. This setup truly is the best of both worlds.
The short-comings of OEM 100 Series IFS:
In 1998 Toyota released the all new 100 series Land Cruiser to replace its solid axle 80 series models. While providing a much smoother ride and better handling on the road, the IFS proved to be very limited in suspension travel. Most lift kits for the IFS setup simply raise the front end by means of adjusting/replacing the torsion bars which actually reduces overall down-travel. This is the result of aftermarket suspension kits only utilizing stock length shocks.
Driving over rough roads and potholes compounds this problem as the pre-loaded suspension, with fully extend shocks, has no more room for shock travel resulting in poor ride quality and premature shock failure. The only way to improve suspension travel is to run longer than stock shocks. The factory upper control arms also become a limiter as they will contact the shock body if using longer shocks. With a raised suspension height, the OEM upper ball-joint is forced to operate at an extreme angle and wider tires many times will not clear the factory upper control arms. The OEM ball-joint also has a potential to separate if a stock length shock were to break, leading to catastrophic failure of suspension, steering, and CV axle. The cost to replace one OEM upper ball-joint from Toyota, is nearly the same cost as the pair of heavy duty Uniball arms available here.
– To solve the extreme ball joint angle of the stock arms the uniball cup is clocked to run level on vehicles with 2-3″ additional ride height.
– With the proper shock setup, this allows up to 50% increase in down travel over suspension kits that use stock length shocks.
– The arms are 100% BOLT-ON using a taper adapter to fit in the stock tapered ball-joint location in spindle. That’s right no drilling, no welding, no tapping. Arms allow for proper alignment.
– They are also fully serviceable, as the bushings and uniballs can easily be replaced. The upper bushings include zerk fittings, and each pair recommended DuPont Silicone/Teflon spray lube, for quiet squeak-free operation.
– Made in USA, TIG Welded, Chromoly DOM tubing for strength versus the flimsy OEM stamped steel arms.
– This design allows for a lower profile, thus providing additional clearance for larger tires, and/or larger/ longer shocks.
– The arms utilize a 1″ I.D. Teflon lined uniball which has been proven strong, reliable, and long lasting, for years in all areas of use from Highway, to Baja trucks and more.
• Bolt on Super Deluxe Suspension Kit includes:
•-Front Torsion bars, Med-heavy load (adjustable height)
•-Progressive Rear Coil Springs for comfort and increased load capacity
•-Powder-coated 20mm Diff Drop kit
•-Front Uniball Upper Control Arm Kit
•-Extended length Radflo, King or the pinnacle ICON* Vehicle Dynamics Front and Rear Shocks (choose)
• Options/ Upgrades:
•-12mm Body Lift
•-Front & Rear Timbren bump stops
•-Rear Adjustable upper Control arms
-Billet Rear Adjustable lower control arms by ICON
•-Icon shocks with remote reservoir (optional compression adjusters) **ICON Preferred
For more information visit Just Differentials [HERE].