On January fourth, Garmin announced the addition of three new GPS navigation devices to their popular Tread line of off-road focused products; the Tread Overland Edition, Tread XL Overland Edition, and Tread SxS Edition.
Garmin says, “the Tread series is purpose built for powersports enthusiasts seeking adventurous rides off the beaten path and for overlanders planning to take their rigs off-the-grid for long expeditions.”
This translates to glove-friendly touch screen operation, turn-by-turn trail navigation for unpaved roads and trails, and built-in inReach technology for keeping tabs on your group members as well as for satellite-based communication with the outside world.
“We’re excited to offer overlanding and off-roading enthusiasts the best of both worlds with these new additions to our rugged Tread lineup,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of global consumer sales. “Adventure seekers and off-roaders now have the freedom to explore and put their minds at ease thanks to built-in inReach communication so you can always be in touch no matter where your adventure takes you, plus the brand new trail routing and group ride features can help you stay connected with friends in more remote areas.”
Garmin Tread XL Overland and Tread Overland Edition
The Tread Overland and Tread XL Overland come in 8- and 10-inch sizes, respectively. They feature a robust feature set including:
- Turn-by-turn navigation on trails and unpaved roads with the Adventure Roads and Trails map content (utilizing OpenStreetMap (OSM) and US Forest Service (USFS) Motor Vehicle Use Map data)
- Built-in inReach technology allows for satellite-based communication: two-way text messaging, location sharing, and SOS emergency medical/SAR response (requires an active subscription)
- Tracking of compatible smartphones or other Tread devices using the Group Ride Mobile feature in the Tread App.
- iOverlander points of interest, public campgrounds, wild and dispersed campsites
- Public and private landowner information (in the US)
- Birdseye satellite imagery (no subscription required)
- Street-routing based on the size and weight of your rig
Additionally, users can pre-plan driving routes using the Tread app and a compatible smartphone, and the new Tread Devices will integrate with Garmin’s Group Ride Radio, Garmin PowerSwitch, and Garmin GPS dog trackers.
Tread SxS Edition
Garmin’s 8-inch Tread SxS edition was specifically developed for side-by-side users and comes standard with the Group Ride Radio to facilitate effortless communication on the trail. The SxS Edition includes all of the aforementioned features of the other Tread Series navigation devices, but goes one step further in terms of durability, featuring a military-grade drop test rating.
The new Tread Series devices range in price, from $1299 to $1499. Learn more at garmin.com.
Our No Compromise Clause: We carefully screen all contributors to make sure they are independent and impartial. We never have and never will accept advertorial, and we do not allow advertising to influence our product or destination.