Show notes for Overland Journal Podcast Episode 158
Paul Marsh on Preparing the Vehicle and Yourself for Overland Travel
In the Overland Journal Podcast episode 158, Scott Brady interviews Paul Marsh, legendary vehicle consultant, and expedition leader. Paul prepares vehicles for continent-crossing expeditions and has worked in mechanical support roles for major vintage car rallies and overland trips like Driven to Extremes. Paul helped us with Expeditions 7 by preparing the VDJ78 for Antarctica. Paul’s travels are equally impressive, including multiple continental crossings. Our conversation includes Paul’s overlanding principles and the fundamentals of working as a team with your travel companions.
Paul’s passion has always been for the great outdoors and overland travel. His first adventure was an 18-month odyssey through Africa – north to south and back again – in a vehicle he had built himself! With this experience and his engineering background, he developed a keen interest in the end-to-end process of expedition planning, vehicle preparation, training and support. This gave birth to his career as an independent 4×4 expedition specialist – first in England for 18 years and now back in South Africa since 2014. Paul’s purpose is to enable people from all over the world to fulfill their dream of overland travel in their own 4×4. In addition to this, Paul has successfully led expeditions around the world, traversed every continent, and provided technical advice and support for numerous prominent worldwide events. @paulmarsh4x4
Scott is the publisher and co-founder of Expedition Portal and Overland Journal and is often credited with popularizing overlanding in North America. His travels by 4WD and adventure motorcycle span all seven continents and includes three circumnavigations of the globe. His polar expeditions include two vehicle crossings of Antarctica and the first long-axis crossing of Greenland. @scott.a.brady
If you would like to learn more about Paul and 4×4 Expeditions, you can look at his website for full gallery of builds, travel locations and adventure: Here
Some of his most memorable adventures include:
- Camel Trophy selections in South Africa, now known as the G4 challenge (a grueling event that pushes contestants to their limits).
- London to Sydney through Iran, Pakistan, and China.
- Nordkapp Arctic Winter Rally (supporting 40 vehicles around Nordkapp in Norway).
- London to Cape Town with 80 vehicles, half of which were post-war and classic cars.
- Cape Town to Eritrea and back (70 000 km and 14 months, single vehicle).
- Panama to Alaska.
- North to south traverse of South America – Colombia to Tierra del Fuego.
- Siberian Challenge, West Ireland to Eastern Russia (three vehicles, 20 countries, two continents).
- Southeast Asia, including Myanmar.
- Circumnavigation of the Mediterranean.
- Canning Stock Route Australia.
Our No Compromise Clause: We do not accept advertorial content or allow advertising to influence our coverage, and our contributors are guaranteed editorial independence. Overland International may earn a small commission from affiliate links included in this article. We appreciate your support.