The price of overland vehicles designed for full-time living can be eye-watering and, at times, as much (if not more than) an actual house (EarthRoamer and EarthCruiser come to mind). It’s refreshing when a more budget-friendly vehicle is listed on our forum that’s both a capable 4WD and a fully equipped home on wheels. This monster of a Ford E-350 ambulance has been overhauled for the road less traveled, and is a fantastic rig for someone looking to transition to full-time vanlife.
From the Seller:
“The 7.3-liter makes adequate power and is super reliable. With only 102,0000 miles, there isn’t a whole lot to worry about. Also, since the entire suspension and drivetrain is essentially new, and the transmission was rebuilt, it’s not likely to need any big-ticket items anytime soon.”
1998 Ford E-350
This ambulance is fitted with the legendary 7.3-liter Powerstroke, which is thirsty and dated by modern diesel standards but highly regarded for its bullet-proof reliability (many well-maintained examples have hit 1,000,000 miles). E-Series vans were mass produced (and one of the best-selling vans in the US), which means parts are readily available and won’t cost a fortune. Finally, there’s a wealth of aftermarket parts and services designed to enhance the E-350’s go-anywhere performance; industry leaders Ujoint Offroad offer a comprehensive 4×4 conversion that transforms all-terrain capability.
This Ford E-350 has been extensively modified for overland travel and full-time living. Upgrades include:
- Ujoint Offroad 4×4 conversion
- 2004 F-350 axles (Dana 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear), completely rebuilt with new 4.10 gears, bearings, seals, U-joints, ball joints, and more
- Fox 2.0 shocks
- Reman NV271 transfer case
- Warn locking hubs
- Custom specification Atlas leaf springs
- Custom Tom Wood’s front and rear drive shafts
- Cubic mini wood stove and 7-kilowatt diesel heater
- Norcold 12-volt compressor fridge
- 300-amp-hour AGM battery, 300-watt Renogy solar panels, and 1,500-watt pure sine inverter
- Freshwater (30-gallon) and greywater (15-gallon) tanks
This 1998 Ford E-350 4×4 ambulance is listed for $65,000 and is currently located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Check the full vehicle specifications via the original Expedition Portal forum post here.
Our No Compromise Clause: We carefully screen all contributors to make sure they are independent and impartial. We never have and never will accept advertorial, and we do not allow advertising to influence our product or destination.