It’s no secret that the 80s Toyota Pickup trucks are some of the most versatile and durable vehicles to be sold in the civilian market. They have been pushed and tested by their owners in harsh environments while performing just about every task imaginable and have not only delivered, but also done so repeatedly. This bombproof build quality and immense capability have earned them the reputation as one of the world’s toughest trucks. Far less attention however, has been given to the venerable 80s 4Runner. For all intensive purposes it is the exact same truck that has simply received a new fiberglass topper and rear seat to allow for more passengers. While the “new” model was a smart (and cheap) move for Toyota at the time, the popularity of the SUV soon spawned its own niche and expanded to be one of the company’s most popular lines with its own unique design and development.
It’s always nice to see a well-restored vehicle in showroom condition, but it’s even better to see a truck that’s all original like this 1986 4Runner. Under the hood you’ll find Toyota’s 2.4L liter 22RE engine, which along with the entirely original drivetrain, has covered just over 106,000 miles. Amazingly the aesthetic aspects of this truck are original as well from the fantastic looking paint, to the interior and even the SR5 decals sported on the hood and sides. According to the owner the rear fiberglass shell has never been removed which has undoubtedly helped contribute to the interiors pristine condition. While it does have an intermittent issue with the rear window, this 4Runner is in fantastic condition and is one of the few unmolested examples of these great vehicles left.
Here’s what the seller has to say:
- TOYOTA 1986(11/85) 4RUNNER SR5 4X4
- RED (COLOR CODE 3D7) WITH BEIGE SR5 CLOTH INTERIOR
- 2.2RE AUTOMATIC DRIVETRAIN 4X4 WITH SR5 OPTION PACKAGE
- ONE FAMILY OWNERSHIP FROM DECEMBER 1985-DECEMBER 2010
- SOLD NEW 12.17.1985 IN VANCOUVER BC CANADA TO MARIN COUNTY DOCTOR FOR BC VACATION HOME
- 100% ORIGINAL BODY, PAINT, INTERIOR, DRIVETRAIN A TRUE SURVIVOR
- TRUELY AN EXCEPTIONAL ORIGINAL UNRESTORED UNMODIFIED EXAMPLE
- BRIEF DETAIL OF CONDITION (please call or email with your questions or concerns):
- Exterior: Overall paint and body are in superb original condition. Original decals look perfect. Body is 99% rustfree.
- All body panels are original and accident-free. Rear bumper shows a few flaws as does front bumper.
Interior: Also superb original condition. The pictures should speak for themselves. The removable rear fiberglass top has never been off the car. The rear electric window has been acting up and working intermittently. Carpets look good but do show some wear. Headliner and dash are excellent. Driver seat has one small tear otherwise seats are excellent and original cushions feel like new. The wife and daughter drove the 4Runner both small ladies thus the seats show little to no wear.
Mechanically: The 2.2RE drivetrain is quite sturdy and with 106K original miles is just breaking in. The 4Runner has not been driven much over the last 5 years. Recently (50 miles ago) I replaced the battery, changed Oil & filters and installed four new Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 235/75-15″.
The 4Runner’s suspension is completely original from front to back and will need to be rebuilt over time. I would also suggest full tune-up and all fluids flushed. The brakes look fine and as mentioned tires are new.The La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX is rated 4.8 out of 5 stars from 7 cusomter reviews on Amazon.