In 2009, Expeditions West sponsored the first Grand Expoordition, which was a fantastic adventure completed by Nathan (Alpine Hoo Ha) in a 1995 Toyota 4Runner. Nathan drove all over Utah and Colorado, spending time taking photos, writing, mtn. biking and driving his Toyota.
We had so much fun helping Nathan complete this journey that we have decided to make it an annual community expedition. So this is how it will work.
The 2011 Expoordition will be run in fall of this year and mostly follow the Grand Arizona Traverse (you will have some flexibility on the route to the start and from the finish), a route the Expedition Portal community has assembled over the past few years. This is a rugged and challenging route, requiring a high-clearance vehicle and an experienced driver. The route finishes at the Grand Canyon!
Nathan in Utah on the 2009 Grand Expoordition
Applying for Nomination:
Send in the following – incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A 1000 word (maximum) editorial on why you would love to participate in the Expoordition. Describe your love of overland travel, your experience and the reason why full sponsorship would allow you to have an adventure that would be impossible otherwise.
- Provide a summary of your vehicle and include a few pictures of it.
- Submit a 4-6 image gallery of your best adventure travel photos
- If you have any video experience, submit a clip of that too (video experience is not required).
- You must be a current expeditionportal.com member and have at least 100 posts
- Your application should be submitted by email to scott (_at_) expeditionswest (_dot_) com no later than February 7th.
- Announce your Intention to Apply in the Expoordition Thread. (this makes sure we look for your entry and add you to the review list, and make sure it didn’t get lost in cyberspace)
- The moderators on expedition portal will select the top five entries
- The top five entries will be consolidated in a thread on expeditionportal.com and the community members will vote (via a poll) on the winner.
What the sponsorship includes:
- $500 for fuel and food on your seven day journey. You will leave Prescott with a fully stocked vehicle (and maybe a borrow fridge. . .)
- A HAM Radio
- A Complete Recovery Kit from ARB
- A Compressor from Extreme Outback Products
- A Tire Repair Kit from ARB
- A Set of Maps from HEMA Maps
- A tent from NEMO Tents
- A Set of Lights from LightForce
- A fuel can and holder from Adventure Trailers
- A water can from Equipt Expedition Outfitters
- Comprehensive Overland Training Course
- Vehicle recovery points (if you don’t have them)
- Interior Loading and Lashing Points (if you don’t have them)
- First Aid and Safety Equipment
- Complete Adventure Wardrobe
- Year Subscription to Overland Journal and a bunch of back issues
A crap ton of other swag, more to be announced soon.
In addition, you are going to be able to borrow an HD video camera and a GoPro action camera. We may also help with additional photo gear depending on what you currently have. We will also be providing a SPOT messenger and other support and logistics. A GPS will be provided with the complete route.
The adventure will begin and end in Prescott, Arizona and will require the winner to complete a daily journal and capture fun and interesting images from their journey. This will all be shared with the ExPo community. Depending on the circumstances, additional funding (for driving to and from Arizona) may also be provided. You will be required to sign a hold harmless.
Best of luck ladies and gentleman