Expedition Portal Classifieds :: 1978 Toyota Chinook 4×4 Conversion
Have you been looking to add an immaculate 1978 Toyota Chinook camper conversion to your vehicle collection? Now is your chance, but you’ll have to act fast, as this vehicle is for sale via an auction which will end in four short days!
This one-of-a-kind 1978 Toyota Chinook was custom-built in Oregon in 1991 by a Toyota mechanic. Originally a two-wheel-drive model, this Chinook received a frame, suspension, solid front axle, and engine from a 1980 Toyota 4×4 pickup. A 20R 2.2-liter, inline-four engine is paired with a G52 five-speed manual transmission and dual-range transfer case in this beautiful classic. It took two years to complete the transformation, during which time it was driven recreationally before becoming a show truck in the 2000s (and stored when not at a show).
A collection of documents pertaining to the build history as well as an assembled Oregon title which designates this truck as a 1992 ASMBL with a newly assigned serial number are included with this unique vehicle.
Additional Vehicle Specs
The exterior of this Toyota Chinook was repainted with Metallic Walnut in 1991 during its build. Chinook decals were obtained and installed at the Yakima, Washington, Chinook plant in the 2000s. Additional details:
- 4-wheel drive w/4.88:1 Gearing
- Aftermarket brush guard
- Aftermarket fog lights
- Black 15-inch wheels w/chrome hubcaps
- 31- x 10.5-inch Wild Country Radial XTX Sport tires
- Manual front lockers
- 3-inch lift (front), and 4-inch lift (rear)
- Rear air shocks
- Heavy-duty front and rear sway bars
- Steering knuckle rebuilt in 2018
- Custom upholstery
- Recaro bucket seats (w/red Chinook embroidery from 1985 Supra)
- Custom center console
- Power windows
- JDM dash clock
- Aftermarket auxiliary gauges and tachometer
- Overhead-mounted CB radio
- Nippondenso cabin air conditioner
- Wayfinder digital compass
- 44k miles on the odometer
The current bid for this 1978 Toyota Chinook is $20,000. For more extensive details and images, visit the auction on bringatrailer.com.