The Canuck Truck buildup!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Time to post up some information about the rig now that I've met some of you! :shakin:

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4
Year: 1999
Mileage: 165 000 miles

Build up started in March 2003.

6.jpg

Tacoma-1.jpg

Engine: normally aspirated 3.4L, V6
Trans: Manual
T-Case: Stock
Front Axle: New to me 2.5” Donahoe Racing coilovers, ARB RD-90 with compact compressor mounted to firewall and 4.56 gears
Rear Axle: Deaver 9 pack springs, Old Man Emu N85 shocks with shock spacer mod compliments of Baja Taco, retrofitted TRD Electric Locker including “RR Diff Lock” switch and functional dash “Diff Lock” light.
Tires: 32” x 11.5” R15 Good Year MTR tires
Wheels: Stock Alloy with matching spare

Vehicle uses:
Primary duty: daily driver
Secondary duties:
  • Camping
  • Exploring
  • Hunting
  • Fishing
  • Home renovations (ongoing)
  • Hauling wood (once a year)
  • Moving (occasionally)

As you can appreciate the key for my set up is flexibility. I try to make all of my modifications/upgrades with flexibility in mind. I change my set up several times a year depending on what I’m doing.

Modifications to date:
Protection:
  • TJM T-17 front bumper
  • DIY bolt-on sliders V2 (overkill)
  • Bud Built skid plate, additional cross member and belly pan (hell for stout).

Recovery:
  • Warn M8000 winch with 80’ of 5/15” synthetic winchline and synthetic hawse fairlead.
  • DIY front shackle hangers
  • Warn Receiver Shackle Bracket
  • 48” Hi-Lift with Jack Mate

Electronics:
  • Dual Batteries: Red Top starting battery (Thanks Bajataco for hosting) and Exide Orbital Xtreme Cycle Duty Battery 34XCD auxiliary battery).
  • Charging duties are handled via a Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model 1314-200 custom mounted on the fire wall.
  • A Blue Sea fuse block mounted on top of factory air box keeps the wiring clean.
  • LightForce 170 lights
  • Cobra 18 WX ST II CB and K40 Superflex 4’ antenna
  • Garmin 60Csx GPS, RAM twist lock suction cup mount, MapSource Topo Canada and OziExplorer software.

Miscellaneous:
  • Leer color matched shell with Thule cross bars
  • DYI Roof Rack/Basket
  • DIY sleeping platform
  • ARB Snorkel
  • Engel MT45 Fridge, ARB transit bag and Ezy-Move
  • MV-50 compressor, Staun Tire Deflators and Safety Seal tire repair kit
  • Scepter Military Fuel Cans and Water Cans provide additional fuel and water capacity
  • Extended differential breathers
  • Assorted tools and spare parts
  • Assorted recovery equipment
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Demello Off-Road Frame reinforcements
  • Amsoil fluids in every gear box and Castrol Synthetic engine oil

Future mods:
  • Replacement Snatch Strap and Tree Trunk Protector Complete
  • DIY rear bumper with some type of swing out. 90% Complete, missing AT Can Holders
  • Fridge mounting solution V1. V0 concept was partially scrapped because it was behind the passenger seat (lost the recline option for the passenger) and lost access to “cubby hole” where OEM tool kit resides. I will use this mounting solution when travelling solo. V1 will consist of Engel Slide Lock MT45 as a foundation and will be mounted in the bed on a DIY sliding drawer/tray. Parts have been sourced, need to build it.
  • ScanGuage II
  • Outback Port-a-Privy Shower Enclosure / Privacy Tent Complete
  • PETT Portable Toilet and WAG Bags Got the bags...
  • Pelican Cases
  • Corbeau Sport Seats
  • Extreme Air compressor Complete
  • Rooftop tent
  • Solar charging
  • New tires Complete Cooper Discoverer ST in the official ExPo size of 255/85R16

I like to call this shot the mud mod. Long story short, a friend of mine hydrolocked his engine and I had to go rescue him.

10.jpg

3 best mods:
  • Upgraded suspension
  • Winch and recovery gear
  • Fridge (although I have not used it much, I was spoiled during the Expedition Trophy)

Lessons learned during build up:
  1. Do it once and dot it right the first time. I’ve redone the front suspension 4 times now and the rear 3 times and may have to re-do the rear again! Waste to time, money and effort plus you can’t move on to the next item on your list because you are re-visiting things that should be done. As one wise Dude once said: “Buy the best, cry once…”.
  2. Take the rig out more to tests things out
  3. Do your homework!

Things I would like to change:
  1. Sleeping platform design.
  2. Front bumper, I should have gone with the ARB mainly for the additional protection around the head lights. I’ve broken one signal light to date due to the tight and branchy trails I run.
  3. Be more mindful of the negative impact of additional weight on my rig as modifications are made. There is a certain balance between a burley piece of armour and too heavy. The key to is to find that balance!

Cheers :beer:,
P

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
p1michaud said:
Time to post up some information about the rig now that I've met some of you! :shakin:

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4
Year: 1999
Mileage: 165 000 miles

Build up started in March 2003.

6.jpg

Tacoma-1.jpg

Engine: normally aspirated 3.4L, V6
Trans: Manual
T-Case: Stock
Front Axle: New to me 2.5” Donahoe Racing coilovers, ARB RD-90 with compact compressor mounted to firewall and 4.56 gears
Rear Axle: Deaver 9 pack springs, Old Man Emu N85 shocks with shock spacer mod compliments of Baja Taco, retrofitted TRD Electric Locker including “RR Diff Lock” switch and functional dash “Diff Lock” light.
Tires: 32” x 11.5” R15 Good Year MTR tires
Wheels: Stock Alloy with matching spare

Vehicle uses:
Primary duty: daily driver
Secondary duties:
  • Camping
  • Exploring
  • Hunting
  • Fishing
  • Home renovations (ongoing)
  • Hauling wood (once a year)
  • Moving (occasionally)

As you can appreciate the key for my set up is flexibility. I try to make all of my modifications/upgrades with flexibility in mind. I change my set up several times a year depending on what I’m doing.

Modifications to date:
Protection:
  • TJM T-17 front bumper
  • DIY bolt-on sliders V2 (overkill)
  • Bud Built skid plate, additional cross member and belly pan (hell for stout).

Recovery:
  • Warn M8000 winch with 80’ of 5/15” synthetic winchline and synthetic hawse fairlead.
  • DIY front shackle hangers
  • Warn Receiver Shackle Bracket
  • 48” Hi-Lift with Jack Mate

Electronics:
  • Dual Batteries: Red Top starting battery (Thanks Bajataco for hosting) and Exide Orbital Xtreme Cycle Duty Battery 34XCD auxiliary battery).
  • Charging duties are handled via a Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model 1314-200 custom mounted on the fire wall.
  • A Blue Sea fuse block mounted on top of factory air box keeps the wiring clean.
  • LightForce 170 lights
  • Cobra 18 WX ST II CB and K40 Superflex 4’ antenna
  • Garmin 60Csx GPS, RAM twist lock suction cup mount, MapSource Topo Canada and OziExplorer software.

Miscellaneous:
  • Leer color matched shell with Thule cross bars
  • DYI Roof Rack/Basket
  • DIY sleeping platform
  • ARB Snorkel
  • Engel MT45 Fridge, ARB transit bag and Ezy-Move
  • MV-50 compressor, Staun Tire Deflators and Safety Seal tire repair kit
  • Scepter Military Fuel Cans and Water Cans provide additional fuel and water capacity
  • Extended differential breathers
  • Assorted tools and spare parts
  • Assorted recovery equipment
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Demello Off-Road Frame reinforcements
  • Amsoil fluids in every gear box and Castrol Synthetic engine oil

Future mods:
  • Replacement Snatch Strap and Tree Trunk Protector
  • DIY rear bumper with some type of swing out.
  • Fridge mounting solution V1. V0 concept was partially scrapped because it was behind the passenger seat (lost the recline option for the passenger) and lost access to “cubby hole” where OEM tool kit resides. I will use this mounting solution when travelling solo. V1 will consist of Engel Slide Lock MT45 as a foundation and will be mounted in the bed on a DIY sliding drawer/tray.
  • ScanGuage II
  • Outback Port-a-Privy Shower Enclosure / Privacy Tent
  • PETT Portable Toilet and WAG Bags
  • Pelican Cases
  • Corbeau Sport Seats
  • Extreme Air compressor
  • Rooftop tent
  • Solar charging
  • New tires

I like to call this shot the mud mod. Long story short, a friend of mine hydrolocked his engine and I had to go rescue him.

10.jpg

3 best mods:
  • Upgraded suspension
  • Winch and recovery gear
  • Fridge (although I have not used it much, I was spoiled during the Expedition Trophy)

Lessons learned during build up:
  1. Do it once and dot it right the first time. I’ve redone the front suspension 4 times now and the rear 3 times and may have to re-do the rear again! Waste to time, money and effort plus you can’t move on to the next item on your list because you are re-visiting things that should be done. As one wise Dude once said: “Buy the best, cry once…”.
  2. Take the rig out more to tests things out
  3. Do your homework!

Things I would like to change:
  1. Sleeping platform design.
  2. Front bumper, I should have gone with the ARB mainly for the additional protection around the head lights. I’ve broken one signal light to date due to the tight and branchy trails I run.
  3. Be more mindful of the negative impact of additional weight on my rig as modifications are made. There is a certain balance between a burley piece of armour and too heavy. The key to is to find that balance!

P

Nice rig man, looks really good with those tires. How do you like them? Do you spend most of your time wheeling in mud?

N-

heeltoe989

Explorer
p1michaud said:
I've been reading up on your rig previously. Very nice. Did you ever get things straightened out with the beadlock wheels?

yeah I did, I got walker evans streets (non beads) and traded in my beadlocks I got a credit for them since they where so new and just paid a tiny bit more for the exchange, and all sorted. I love the wheels and haven't had any issues with them at all. A lot of people say they are to expensive for non bead lock wheels but I love the look of them. Also when I start traveling around, I don't have to worry if I get pulled over.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tires

nickw said:
Nice rig man, looks really good with those tires. How do you like them? Do you spend most of your time wheeling in mud?

N-

Believe it or not, I try to avoid mud as much as possible. It's hard to do in this area but I try. Cleaning takes too much time and wastes water.

As for the Good Year tires, I'll be honest and this is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt:

On road: I don't care for them one bit, too loud, don't handle that well on wet pavement, are out of round and you have to be cautious on snow packed roads. For the record, I did expect this from such an agressive tire used for daily driving.

Off road: This is where they really shine. For the type of terrain I travel they do fantastic. I am more than satisfied with their performance in both mud, rocks, sand, fresh snow, etc... During and after every off road adventure, I'm pleased with my choice.

Another one of my gripes is their lack of selection in a 33" compared to say BFG. I wish the MTR tires came in a 33" x 10.5" R15, I'd buy anohter set tomorrow without thinking twice about it. On a final note, their road hazard warntee is superb. If you tear a sidewall or puncture one they will replace it for free up to 50% wear after that it's a pro rated approach. I mention this because other "Off Road" tires sold locally are not covered if you use them "Off Road". Yes you read that correctly, they are marketed as "Off Road" tires but will not be covered under road hazard warantee if you damage one while "Off Road", figure that one out! :shakin:

P

heeltoe989

Explorer
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the MTR's. I bought the Cooper STT's. I like them a lot, there wet weather performance is very good. A little noisy on the road but they handle good and not too bad in the snow. I pull the chains out if the snow gets too deep. Great off-road performance too. Might want to look at a set the next time.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cooper tires.

heeltoe989 said:
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the MTR's. I bought the Cooper STT's. I like them a lot, there wet weather performance is very good. A little noisy on the road but they handle good and not too bad in the snow. I pull the chains out if the snow gets too deep. Great off-road performance too. Might want to look at a set the next time.

As I mentionned, I'm torn about the MTR tires.
When I was shopping for replacement tires in September of 2006 I considered the Cooper STT's. Unfortunately no one locally could bring them in a 32" x 11.5" R15 size. They could get the 33" x 12.5" R15 but they were nearly 50%more than the same size MTR tires!

One of my major beefs is availability of aftermarket products in Eastern Canada. Even what I would consider common items in the US are hard to come by here at times (i.e. 32" tires for example).

heeltoe989

Explorer
Thats too bad, Because cooper have that size of tire in the STT. Maybe not when you where looking, but there's always next time.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
New wheels and tires.

Since mother nature has been gracing us with plenty of snow these past two weeks (+24") I've been a bit concerned about the snow performance of my 1 year old MTR tires (approx 12 000 Km's on them). They do well in the powdery snow, but in the slush and packed snow they left something to be desired. So I started researching for some new shoes for the rig. I wanted to maintain the current size or larger due to the 4.56 gears I'm running.
My reading lead me to the Cooper Discovery S/T's in the official ExPo size 255/85R16 along with a set of Wheeler's Off Road 16" aluminium wheels.

I chose the Coopers because they seemed like a good balance between the all terrain and mud terrain. Another reason was due to a visit to my local Cooper dealer where I had a good chat with the owner. He asked if I wanted to see what ST look like. I said yes so he took me over to the truck he uses for plowing snow. He said they dig great in the snow and he does not feel they need to be studded for what he does. He was very pleased with their winter performance. That's a pretty good sales pitch if you ask me!
I will be running these year round after this winter. For more discussions about the tire selection and size see here: Cooper ST's - 255/85/16 .

I chose to go with aluminiu wheels mainly due to cut down on weigth as was well discussed in this thread: Steel Wheels Vs Aluminum Wheels

The specs:
DSC04647.jpg

A side by side comparison whith the 32" MTR still on the truck:
DSC04648.jpg

A side by side comparison whith the 32" MTR off the truck:
DSC04650.jpg

Note that the MTR tire has 12 000 Km's on it. For the sake of comparison I weighed both wheel and tire sets using the bathroom scale method. The 32" x 11.5" R15 MTR mounted on a OEM 15" x 7" alloy wheel came in at 74 lbs. The 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T mounted on a 16" x 8" alloy came in at 75 lbs. Basically the same. The tread width was approximately 9" for the MTR vs. 7.5" for the S/T. The MTR measured 31 1/4" tall vs 33 1/8" for the S/T. Both tires were mounted on rims but not on the vehicle for these measurements.

Finally a few driveway flex pics, luckily is was dark and the neighbours could not see me!
DSC04653.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

DSC04655.jpg

I did do the pinch weld mod earlier this year but did not trim the plastic fender liner. I want to run these tires as is for a bit to figure out where they rub. So far they only touch the plastic fender liner where it sticks out where the pinch weld used to be. In the back I'm running some Deaver 9's so the axle has been relocated forward.

P

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
So, how do they drive through all that white stuff? I can only imagine, but they should do quite well. BTW, truck looks killer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste