Maxxis MA-761 Bravo Series AT

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
No, but it is a cool looking tire now that you draw my attention to it. Looks like quite a bit less void than BFG MT or even Maxxis' Bighorns, but still a good traction tire with enough void for most situations. No siping but they could be cut if needed.

I purchased the Bighorns and then 761 AT because they are available in 255/85R16. But the 753 in 285/75 8-ply looks interesting.

pskhaat said:
Redline,

Know anyone with experience with these, the 753 Bravos?

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=5475

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm not sure about the center rib smoothing out the ride but they are supposed to be good for supporting weight, like on the heavy diesel pickup they were mounted on. Good for wear too. Below I have quoted myself from my Power Stroke Registry article about these tires.

"Mounted on our stock Ford forged aluminum wheels that weigh a mere 18.5-pounds each, a spin on Les Schwab's balance machine revealed the tire’s inner secrets. The first tire needed only 1.25-ounces to balance; 0.75-ounces on the inside of the wheel and 0.50-oz. on the outer edge! The second tire needed a whopping 1.75-ounces. That was simply amazing for a heavy truck tire to need so little wheel weight. The balance machine called for 4.25-ounces on tire number three, and the worst tire of the set required 6.25-oz. Compared to the other three tires 6.25-oz. sounds like a lot, but I have seen many heavy-duty LT (light-truck) tires need much more than this set's average of 3.4-ounces per tire. See the sidebar follow-up report on our Centramatic continuous wheel balancers for our Maxxis balancing act."

slooowr6 said:
James,
Thanks for the pictures, it helps a lot!
The tire looks pretty nice. I especially like the center rib, it's should help to smooth out the ride. It a heavy tire for sure, 58lbs. Hmmm, hmmm, decision decision. :p

Alex

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
These are just garage poser shots, but here are a couple with the Bravo AT 255/85 on the 4Runner. Since I had the tires (dismounted) and the stock aluminum wheels, I decided to mount the Bravos again and run them on the 4Runner for a bit. For the moment I like these conservative tires on the stock conservative/sleeper wheels. The 4Runner is a quiet car and these quiet tires are nice for the pavement.

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

Maxxis Bravo AT & Cooper ST: a big difference in void ratio.

IMG_3639.jpg

slooowr6 said:
Redline,
Got picture of the Maxxis on your 4 runner?

I think I have narrow down to these 3.

1) Yokohama AT-s 265/75/16 (31.9") 50lbs.
2) Dunlop RVxt 255/85/16 (32.8") 49lbs.
3) Maxxis Bravo AT 255/85/16 (33") 58lbs.

Thx!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
All hail the tire God. :bowdown: I love how you test tires by your wallet. It really saves money for the rest of us. Very detailed as usual.

9mmMike

Unfortunately I don’t have pics of the Bravo AT 761s on the 4Runner. I bought them and mounted them on my F350 for a test article then put them on the 4Runner shortly thereafter. I liked them on both rigs, but they were just doing thankless street duty on the Mall Crawler and I never took any pictures with them on the 4Runner. They have since been removed in favor of the Cooper STs, but could go back on if the Coopers are deemed too loud for daily duty. I do have a few shots of the Bravos naked, and some with the tires on the F350 so I will share what I have.

Workin' to get there

20070821-191316.jpg

James

Old thread, I know but I just love this picture!

Mike (who is back to looking for the 255/85 16 of his dreams......)

Thanks for the thread Redline!

Just the information I was looking for.

Are you still happy with these?

I am about to order a set for all the same reasons, keeping my Bighorn 315s for offroad adventures and need a set of quiet but rugged 255/85s for mild overland and fwy stuff. Wild guess that you wrote the article in the last OJ issue, that 4runner looks familiar..did you also do a fuel mileage test on the Bravos?

810193430_RnzD5-M.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for the thread Redline!

Just the information I was looking for.

Welcome

Are you still happy with these?

I sold them several months ago to a friend who is running them on his Dodge/Cummins.

I didn't put enough miles on them for any real measurable wear, but there are/were a tough tire. The only thing I didn't care for was that the tread patter was too conservative for my preference. I'm liking ******** Cepek FCII more as a winter/road/all-around tire, but of course no 255/85 in this tire.

I am about to order a set for all the same reasons, keeping my Bighorn 315s for offroad adventures and need a set of quiet but rugged 255/85s for mild overland and fwy stuff. Wild guess that you wrote the article in the last OJ issue, that 4runner looks familiar..did you also do a fuel mileage test on the Bravos?

Yes, same car.

They will be a great tire for freeway use and easy overlanding.

Never did a MPG test with the 4Runner, those tires were on the 4Runner VERY little.

Cubman

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am looking for a set of Maxxis 761s in 255/85R16. Where are you all finding them and how much should I expect to pay?

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
I ran these tires on a daily driven Suzuki Equator for roughly 8 months. While I found them to be a very good road tire, I felt like were lacking against other popular A/T tires. On the road, the Maxxis felt most like a true street car tire. Very hard, great cornering, did well on most pavement conditions and behaved itself well overall. In the dirt, the tire just didn't stand up to its competition that I have tested over the years.

The magic tire pressure (what I consider the best all around traction psi for an individual tire) for this tire was 20psi (imo). At 20psi, the Maxxis traction started kicked in through loose gravel and rock. Mud was never fun with this tire no matter the psi. Sand was also something I preferred many other tires to against the Maxxis.

I know it sounds like I hated the tire, but as a daily driver that sees 90% pavement and 10% dirt, it was a solid choice. On the road, as I said, it was a great all around tire. If you plan on putting this tire on a truck/suv that plans on seeing a good amount of time off-road, I would consider other options first. If you do, just pay attention to them a little more than you would a BFG AT/KO and you will do just fine.

I am sure others will say they had better results than I did. We all have different opinions.

My fav AT: BFG A/T KO
My fav MT: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Happy travels!

Jordan

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree with the post above, and my opinion of the Bravo AT is similar. This tire is much more of an all-season than an all-terrain. It is a rugged, well made light-truck tire. But it surely lacks tread void for doing work off-highway which is the reason I didn't use my set much and sold them. However, in the 255/85R16 niche size they are a good, conservative road tire. Most of the other 255/85 tread choices have much more void.

http://www.onlinetires.com

This place always seems to have the Bravos listed for sale, but I've never purchased from them.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Another One Bites The Dust

Seems another LT255/85R16D is in the history books. I went looking for the specs for this 255/85 tire on Maxxis' website, only to find the MA-761 tread pattern no longer available.

The 255/85 choices continue to dwindle, which continues to force me to consider 8-inch wide wheel for my old F350. I prefer the OE 7" rims, but if 285s is all I'll run in the future, an 8" wheel is better/preferred.

Erik N

Adventurer
Sad indeed.

Hopefully the fact that BFG makes their relatively new KM2 in a 255, might mean they will offer more choices in the future.

I put another set of miles on my 255 Toyo M55's last week, I'll update that thread in a couple of days.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
BFG gets kudos not only for making the KM2 in a 255/85R16 (they’ve always made a 255/85, including previous M/T design), but for being the ONLY manufacturer to make the 17" equivalent, a 255/80R17.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman