Shower Shelter

Clutch

<---Pass
Sometimes there is never a good place to hang my shower shelter.

So I made one.

I used 2 half inch square stock tack welded together, it just happens to fit perfectly into my Thule rack. Then I drilled a small hole on the end cap so a bicycle shifter cable slips through, then used epoxy to affix the cable to the 1/2" stock. So, when I pull off the endcap the rod will pull out.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2617613000093498191TUltxf

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
It came with my solar shower, but, I am now using a stainless steel, bug sprayer can, with a shower head from Zodi. Zodi sells their Extreme Shower for $120. I built mine for $40. $30 for the can and Zodi sells the shower head for $10.

$120 for this!?>>>> http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodiextremeshower.html All it is a bug sprayer with a showerhead. I use my campstove to heat up the water, or lay it in the sun.

I have seen the shelter sold seperately. Under $30.

I don't want to have to worry about batteries or pumps, they just add weight and take up space.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Cool, I will keep my eyes peeled for a curain like that. Cabela's, etc have the stand-alone style enclosures, but I'm looking for something I can hook onto my rollcage or hardtop.

For the shower I'm using a Helton Heat Exchanger setup:
Slyline_Swell%20(10).jpg

:cool:

Clutch

<---Pass
Have you tried an Army Surplus store? We have one here that sells camping equipment too. I was in there yesterday and saw a shelter for $30.

I was going to go the heat exchanger route...maybe in the future...

Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
My little 6V shower pump just gave up, so I am looking for a new shower solution. I've heard good things about the Zodi and it seems to be a simple setup, i.e., not many parts to fail.
Do you have any info on what tank/parts you used for your home build version?

Kermit said:
It came with my solar shower, but, I am now using a stainless steel, bug sprayer can, with a shower head from Zodi. Zodi sells their Extreme Shower for $120. I built mine for $40. $30 for the can and Zodi sells the shower head for $10.

$120 for this!?>>>> http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodiextremeshower.html All it is a bug sprayer with a showerhead. I use my campstove to heat up the water, or lay it in the sun.

I have seen the shelter sold seperately. Under $20.

I don't want to have to worry about batteries or pumps, they just add weight and take up space.

Clutch

<---Pass
You can buy everything at a hardware store. I already had a camp stove. I can get 3-4 minutes with the current shower head, I may be able to up the time, with a lower flow one.

Stainless Pump sprayer: $30

What is below is what I did to replace the broken Zodi showerhead.

High pressure 3/8" I.D. hose: 8' @ $0.60 a foot

Ball valve: $2.50

Brass garden hose adapter to 3/8" hose: $1.49

Shower head (of your choice) mine was: $3.99

Hose clamps: $3-4.00 (I bought a box of them)

Total $46.78

AZ Tax $3.78

Grand total $50.56

Click for bigger picture

If you look at the Zodi and mine, they are awfully close.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Hey, no problem.

Once I had all of the parts it only took 10 minutes (if that) to plumb everything together.

You might be able to use the hose the sprayer came with, I wanted a longer one, so that is why I went the route I did.

Now, if you are really motivated you could plumb in a fitting for an airline from your onboard air compressor (which I am sure you have one ;) ) so you wouldn't have to "hand pump" it... :)

Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Kermit said:
Now, if you are really motivated you could plumb in a fitting for an airline from your onboard air compressor (which I am sure you have one ;) ) so you wouldn't have to "hand pump" it... :)

Nah, I like the idea of keeping things simple. So I'll see first how bad that hand pumping is.

How long have you had your's, i.e., how often have you used/heated it?

Clutch

<---Pass
I just made it last weekend.

It has bean heated 5 times so far, to boiling once. I would also pressurize it after heating.

I have to pump it twice for one shower, testing at home before I use it in the field. Works so much better than my solar, plus I am guaranteed I will have hot water. I have taken enough cold showers in the past to be well over that. :)

Oh, one more thing, mine has a metal siphon tube, I noticed some had plastic siphons, which I would fear those would melt when heating on the stove.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Kermit said:
I just made it last weekend.

It has bean heated 5 times so far, to boiling once. I would also pressurize it after heating.

I have to pump it twice for one shower, testing at home before I use it in the field. Works so much better than my solar, plus I am guaranteed I will have hot water. I have taken enough cold showers in the past to be well over that. :)

Oh, one more thing, mine has a metal siphon tube, I noticed some had plastic siphons, which I would fear those would melt when heating on the stove.
Looks like I got the same brand tank as yours, only mine was $39 (CA premium?) and the tube siphon tube is plastic. I'm not sure I am too concerned about the plactic part since I don't intent to take too many showers with boiling water. If it becomes a problem I may have to look into mods:rolleyes:

For the first tests (including a first field test) I'll be using the hose and shower head from our 6V shower. The shower has a flow regulator. It does leak when in the closed position, so I may need to add a valve eventually.

From a couple of pumping tests just performed I also think I'll have to pressurize it twice, particularly if I want to stand up and the tank is on the ground. Takes a lot of pressure to pump water up to 7ft:p

My wife is very excited about this. It should make for more convenient warm showers than our existing setup.

Now where can I get one of those little stick on thermometers? I noticed the Zodi I was shown had a little thermometer glued to the side.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
whitethaiger said:
Takes a lot of pressure to pump water up to 7ft:p

:xxrotflma

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you were "going to look into a shower next weekend." Nice Uwe - so how many gallons do those tanks hold?

Kermit - roughly how long does it take to heat up a full container? Are you heating the water in the container on a stove or are you heating the water in smaller pots and transfering it to the can?

This is such a simple solution for showering that I may have to seriously look into this myself...

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
Now where can I get one of those little stick on thermometers? I noticed the Zodi I was shown had a little thermometer glued to the side.

I wonder if you could use a terrarium thermomter commonly used in the reptile world.

Where did you pick up your tank Uwe? I have not looked yet at the home improvement stores, I need to do that. Excellent thread Kermit. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94