Sell me on a Land Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks

Adventurer
What are the strengths of the Land Rover?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a troll or cause too much conflict. I don't know anything about land rovers. I have the impression and have heard from people who have owned them that they have mechanical problems. I am reading more about overlanding and they seem to be extremely popular. I see them a lot in Overland Journal and a lot of websites that sell expedition gear are oriented towards the land rover. I am partial to the Toyota land cruiser. But I don't really know anything about the land rover. I'd like to be able to talk intelligently with you fellow enthusiasts about a product that you very much enjoy. I started out my off-road obsession with the g-wagen but have moved on to the land cruiser and I would like to learn more about the land rover.

:beer:

P.S. Thanks for your patience and grace on such an obviously noobish post.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Are you talking about this:

SeriesI_No4Large.jpg

Or this:

resized_arden-range-rover-sport-ar6_001.jpg

Lot's of different Land Rovers out there and they're very different from on another.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Chad - since you live in NorCal, check us out at: http://nclrclub.org/ We have a monthly offroad gathering (MORG) at Hollister the first Saturday of the month. I am sure anyone of us would let you take a spin in whatever model contents you. Or you can tag along as a guest on one of your trips.

A well taken care of landie will get you there and back safely but the key is maintenance. I drive a 1994 rangie. I have EVERY receipt from the PO, including the original dealer invoice. The truck has been maintained religiously. I love it to death.

Ducks

Adventurer
What do most people use nowadays for vehicle-dependent overland exploring? I would assume discos and range rover classics? Since this is the Expedition Portal then I was thinking about vehicles that would fit that ability. I am also just looking for general characteristics associated with the brand.

Do these have a strong following? How old is it?

SeriesI_No4Large.jpg

Or this:

Ground clearance doesn't look great for overland travel. Love the wheels though :rolleyes:

resized_arden-range-rover-sport-ar6_001.jpg

Ducks

Adventurer
stevenmd said:
Chad - since you live in NorCal, check us out at: http://nclrclub.org/ We have a monthly offroad gathering (MORG) at Hollister the first Saturday of the month. I am sure anyone of us would let you take a spin in whatever model contents you. Or you can tag along as a guest on one of your trips.

A well taken care of landie will get you there and back safely but the key is maintenance. I drive a 1994 rangie. I have EVERY receipt from the PO, including the original dealer invoice. The truck has been maintained religiously. I love it to death.

Thanks, I'll have to take you up on that.

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, I will give it a go, as I have owned and tested all variations of Land Rovers , Land Cruisers, etc.

Here are my top 5 reasons to by a Land Rover (which really applies to models up to 2004. The newer Rovers have other strengths and weaknesses).

1. Class leading visibility
2. Driving position and vehicle interface favors trail elegance.
a. Long pedal travel for fine throttle control
b. High seating position
c. Hood drops of sharply at the end, great for determining where the corners are
3. Axles are both offset to one side
4. 3.3:1 Transfer case gearing, again, for fine control
5. They look safari cool

It is also important to note that a Land Rover will typically be able to drive a trail with smaller tires and less lift than an equivalent Land Cruiser, as the Land Rovers are more compact dimensionally overall and highly maneuverable (Discovery's have a 100" WB). A Discovery with 35" tires would be extremely rare, while it is common place on an 80 series.

Land Rovers carry with them that rich history of exploration, and that becomes a part of the driving experience.

Without question, a Land Cruiser will be more reliable and require less service than a Land Rover. Land Rovers are quite dependable though. I had many small issues with my 2001, but it never left me stranded. Just little electronics gremlins. My current Discovery, a 1995 has been flawless with the exception of a rear door window regulator. The plastic in the roller just became brittle due to age. Easy fix.

The important thing to know is that all vehicles have strengths and weaknesses, which is why there are hundreds of vehicle models available to the consumer today. I believe that the FZJ80 Land Cruiser is one of (if not) the greatest expedition platforms ever brought to North America. However, I don't drive one as I feel the driving experience is dull and insulative, compounded by frightful braking performance and relatively sterile styling (just my opinion). That doesn't mean I cannot fully appreciate all of the awesome things about the 80, principally its reliability, durability and capability (trail). An 80 would be the first vehicle I would recommend to someone looking for a RTW SUV (with a 60/62 coming in close second). The LR 110 is awesome too, but priced in the stratosphere.

You really should go drive a Rover, or go along on a Land Rover club run and watch them work on the trail. They are pretty awesome, and I have always found Rover owners to be extremely interesting and cool people.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I have always found Rover owners to be extremely interesting and cool people.
:hehe:

Our NorCal club consists of people ranging from high school to retirement age. From people who have owned landies since the 60's to new owners. From minimum wage earners to millionaires. From Series I owners to new Range Rover owners. Our trips consist of Rubicon & Dusy types to fireroads. We are accepting of everyone as long as they respect the trail and don't drink Bud Light...:xxrotflma

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh, and this is an important issue. Discoverys from 1999-2003 did not come with a center differential lock. From 1999-mid 2001, you could add a provision to lock the center diff. 2002-2003 you need to buy a whole new t-case (or at least the missing parts).

Without the center diff lock, the traction control uses the brakes to redistribute torque. Essentially, it does not work on anything above a 2 rated trail and gets scary in rocks and while reversing down a failed climb. The vehicle will spin and slide and shift as it tries to redistribute power.

It is relatively easy to fix on most years with the addition of the locking lever or shifter. 2004 Land Rover reintroduced the CDL.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I read an article recently where Landy lovers were referred to as a cult!
I thought it was a classic chirp.

Maybe some truth there. Definitely more unique and passionate than any other marque owners.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
What I like:

Sturdy - I have taken mine out and given it hell, she keeps going. The boxed frame hold up great

Simplicity - You can still work on them yourself and understand what is going on

Clearance - Crawl underneath, all that hangs below the frame is a small section of the catalytic converter

Comfort - They are just comfortable and I never get back pains or anyhing. The coil suspension provides great comfort and a smooth ride also

Visability - "Captians Chair" style. I have yet to drive another make of car where I can see everything so well. I know exactly where my corners are at and have almost no blind spots

Engineering - Both drops(axle) one same side, frame in rear is curved for clearence(though trailer hitch cut down on that), Trailer Hitch is part of frame, inside everything is easy to reach and yet out of the way, Breakover angle I can really go sideways in this thing( the aluminum roof and body parts help that). #rd members, steering items behind axle(to see what I mean look at a Jeep TJ and then a RRC or Disco), Entry of the vehicle I don't have a "haul" to step over.

Reliabilty - others will argue me here, but between my Range Rover and my parents Range Rover we have always made it home under our own power.

Design - I really do love how they look, they make you want to go out and explore

Useabiliity - My rover does a lot of offroading, it also tows trailers, commutes, and goes out on the town saturday night

What I don't like:

Parts - Sometimes getting parts is a drag and you have to wait

Gas mileage - Null point really

Snobery affect - Just because I own a range rover people think I am stuck up

What I own is a 1992 Range Rover, it has 200,000 miles on it and I still trust it whole heartedly. Toyotas are very nice and I rspect them but I was looking at this and a FJ62 and the Rover felt better, had better visability and just seemed to call me

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
All of the previous posters have pretty much touched on anything that could be said for the marque. The Series and Defender trucks have a well deserved mystique about them that make them synonymous with overlanding. The Range Rover Classic and Discovery, up to 2004, may not share the mechanical and electrical simplicity of the Series trucks and early Defenders or be viewed as romantically by some, but the DNA is unmistakable. IMO the Classic and Disco are the vehicles solely responsible for keeping Rover alive by tapping the resources of the largest car buying market in the world. I also feel that events like the Camel Trophy make the RRC and Disco just as iconic.

There is more info that can be found of the subject here, here, and here.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Is it just me or does anyone else think there should be a sticky that directs folks with "why should I buy a Land Rover, and "what are the pitfalls of Rover ownership" question to one place with links to all of the threads pertaining to those questions? The subject seems to have been popping up more frequently lately.

This is by no means a knock on Duck's question as much as it is a suggestion.

Pad

Adventurer
For what its worth (resist laughter), here are the things that discribe my truck.
A DD/family haulin'/camping/off-roader.
Live axles front & rear. (no shocks/other stuff below axletube)
4-wheel disc brakes.
Coil springs all around (for flexi. and comfort)
Full steel frame.
100" wheelbase (not too short or too long)
Medium width (not too wide or too narrow)
Old 60's Buick alum. 230 V8, bored out and fuel inj. (light and torque)
4sp.(O.D.) selectible auto trans. (for twin peddle offroad driving and freeway cruising)
Alum. body (lightness is still your friend and rust is not)
Great visibility!!!! (a must for trail riding)
flip up rear window (sympathy for all 60-80's full size jeepers
still messin with window up/down crap to open tailgate, never again!).
Well did you guess it yet? Yep, its a Range Rover classic.
Fits my bill perfect, well if it had factory lockers (like G-wagon), but doin the job anyways.
Maybe coming up with a 'must have' and 'like-to have' list would help figure out which vehicle
fits with your needs insted of name searching, kindof a blindfold taste test.

Happy hunting!
Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier