advice on an older toyota truck, 22re for son

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
In my opinion the LC engineering is actually superior than OEM. It's a double chain, and I have a photo somewhere of the bits of OEM time chain guide I've pulled out of a 22RE oil pan, not good... Luckily it didn't take out the engine. One of the few places on the internals of an engine where aftermarket is actually better. Hope it helps, Andre
The "double chain" is actualy just a 20R factory design. and unfortunatly It's not a straight ahead swap to the newer 22RE trucks, I belive if you have Air-Con that the added length of the T-chain cover means you need to re-locate the compressor and you can't just move it foreward because it would be in the radiator. I like the idea of the double row chain, but the guides IMO should be left with the stock plastic units. Like I said, I've come across an alarming number of people who've had the aftermarket guides fail prematurely and cause alot of damage. If you don't have air-con though I say yeah go for it cause the double row chain is nice... But one thing I'd point out is that while the T-chain is a weak link over time, unless you're racing your truck or crawling with it revved up for long periods of time I don't see the real point of doing the swap, my T-chain get's changed at 100K...The double row chain doesn't buy you any time, it's more of an unseen addition in the not-likely to fail list. While that's always nice, I've hardly had any issues with the stock set-up.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

wvtradbow

Observer
IMO you can't go wrong with a 22re,I have a 91 extracab standard with 165000 miles,daily driver.I bought with 95000 miles 8yrs ago,best purchase i made,IT was well maintained and still is.doesn't use excessive oil or leak anything.I don't think a 22re is broke in until a 100,000 miles (lol) It doesn't have great power but for reliablity and gas milage you can't go wrong,I put the usual,brakes,muff.& tailpipe,but very very few problems.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman