Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Zam, did this happen at the Truck Shop?

Yes, they had it parked in the back when they had the break in occurred, she is hopefully safer now that she is in the front, although there is not much left to take..

Work has finally restarted and it sounds like they are trying to get here up and out ASAP. Have a mechanic/fabricator working on her full time now.

New bumper is mounted, with mods to make it long travel comparable ongoing. Then fenders and bedsides can go out for paint.

Once of front end repairs are finished the back end should get some love. Going to get custom supports made for the shell so that it can be supported when on the fiberglass bedsides.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, we'll see how everything gets sorted out.

pnw_chris

Observer
Truck is amazing, puts mine to shame! Hopefully everything gets sorted out for you, looking forward to seeing the next stage completed!

shmabs

Explorer
James and his crew are some of the best people I have run across when it comes to a shop that does what they do, I really hope he makes it right! Your truck is looking amazing!

Mike

Zam15

Explorer
Truck is amazing, puts mine to shame! Hopefully everything gets sorted out for you, looking forward to seeing the next stage completed!
Looks like I won't be getting as adventurous as I wanted to but still a major upgrade when done! Can't wait to be up an running.

James and his crew are some of the best people I have run across when it comes to a shop that does what they do, I really hope he makes it right! Your truck is looking amazing!

Mike
Yea, I have been going there for some time and pointed many people their direction including my own family as we have several Toyota trucks. . I am starting to feel better as I see it getting worked on more. There just seems to be a lot of turn around. May end up with an amazing mechanic/fabricator one turn and the next time around not so much. Seems like they have a set of new young guys now that seem pretty skilled.

On to shiny new truck parts! Fan, fan shroud, grill (chrome bla) bumper is half done.. Still waiting on King to build another set of shocks after they lost the first set. :coffee:

Zam15

Explorer
After the truck gets back from the shop I'm debating over some lighting upgrades... low quality paint mock up below. If I swap the turn signals to the corner lights it will allow me to load up the bumper. The install would only require me to drill one additional hole in the ARB as the ARB sticker, and old turn signals are already there.
I may just need to expand the holes a little. Due to the angle of the ARB I'll get some great ditch and side coverage.

Already have the first set of pods in route.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Eh. Why not just add ditch lights? They will work better being mounted back further.

Add an LED bar to the roof rack. Id go with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272156190648

If that's too wide: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131777981168

Could swap out the two front lights for this as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271864991382

I run these as ditch lights. Super bright and pretty good distant too. I like them a lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281957156679

Would like to add one of the other bars I linked to to my double cab. Currently scheming on how.

Id leave the bumper as is.

Zam15

Explorer
Eh. Why not just add ditch lights? They will work better being mounted back further.

Add an LED bar to the roof rack. Id go with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272156190648

If that's too wide: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131777981168

Could swap out the two front lights for this as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271864991382

I run these as ditch lights. Super bright and pretty good distant too. I like them a lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281957156679

Would like to add one of the other bars I linked to to my double cab. Currently scheming on how.

Id leave the bumper as is.

Eh not too much of a fan of anything mounted near the windshield, above or below and it also tends to piss off the cops in CA. I'll likely swap out the HIDs once they die with an LED bar similar to what you suggested. Would not mind the increased airflow.

The ARB has tons of unused space and I can mount these with little work, I've got the PODs in route but I'll hold off on the turn signal mods for a while. Way cheaper than the other mounting solutions that are being offered, also don't have to cut out half the bumper. Lights will as be protected and less likelihood of theft. Another reason I'm going with the Chinese ones.
POD5_6b399d53-4fb8-419e-b027-637403da80bc.JPG

20150815_095926-jpg.1124042

Zam15

Explorer
Did you order flush mount ones ?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea but they sent the bracket ones, useless in my application. So I'm trying another seller. Picking up a set of these to go where the ARB logo is

And a set of these to replace the blinkers. Should act as a decent fog, ditch, camp lights They'll give me much wider front coverage at the intend angle. I have also seen a few people mount the lights on the bumper wings...
The turn signals the ARB comes with are also crap, and I want to get all the mounting holes cut before the bumper goes to powder coat
A little different that my install "LED Light bars in turn signal location on ARB Deluxe Bull Bar"

Also stopped by the shop as they are back open after the holiday, not much progress due to the shut down so I just took another look at everything. The timbren bump stops seem to work great with the new setup! Actually more up travel now because there is not a 10 layer thick leaf spring on top of the axle, that at leas 4-5 more inches... Frame plates are also doing their job!

A little rusty from not getting any love... Explorer drilled rotors from Currie for the rear and and you can see the lower links and panhard mount.

Love how beefy the axle is!!! Ready to eat some rocks, the custom diff guard is great, ties into the axle truss great just like the panhard mount. It's all tied in!

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Sexy rear axle. I want one. Disc brakes and all!!
Looking forward to testing it out! Link setup with dics should be a huge improvement.

This thing is turning out spicy. That rear axle is stout!
I like it spicy! Ya even if the entire truck gets totaled the axle will be fine, nothing beats old American iron in this case.

Blackdawg! You sent me down a rabbit hole looking at light bars... Now I'm looking at 20" for the center, I could squeez two, no there in there! Just where to mount... I just need to make sure I hook up the lockers as the LEDs wont get me out of a mud pit..
Depending on how the Nilight pods turn out I'm looking at this can't believe the prices now. I could get 33 of these for the price of one top brand. Reviews seem good.

Well here is the result I am looking for, to add some coverage on the sides that my HIDs and headlights don't currently get.
Here is a good example of a regular light bar vs light bar and two LED pods facing outwards slightly.

Now mounting, bottom, middle or top (top would likely result in tickets without a cover)?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Looking forward to testing it out! Link setup with dics should be a huge improvement.

I like it spicy! Ya even if the entire truck gets totaled the axle will be fine, nothing beats old American iron in this case.

Blackdawg! You sent me down a rabbit hole looking at light bars... Now I'm looking at 20" for the center, I could squeez two, no there in there! Just where to mount... I just need to make sure I hook up the lockers as the LEDs wont get me out of a mud pit..
Depending on how the Nilight pods turn out I'm looking at this can't believe the prices now. I could get 33 of these for the price of one top brand. Reviews seem good.

Well here is the result I am looking for, to add some coverage on the sides that my HIDs and headlights don't currently get.
Here is a good example of a regular light bar vs light bar and two LED pods facing outwards slightly.

Now mounting, bottom, middle or top (top would likely result in tickets without a cover)?

Well LEDs are sweet.

However, the one you linked too vs the photos you posted are VERY different.

The one you linked to is a simple as LEDs get. No optics and a simple small cheap reflector. My experience is these type of lights make great flood/fill lights. NOT good driving lights. Distance is sad.

The one in the photos has actual optics and reflectors. Thus the better looking beam pattern. Looks like dual type optics with the centers being hyper shots and outers being more floods.

And id be willing to bet a much bigger price difference. Probably 3w vs 5w LEDs too.

The one i linked to you would be MUCH better as it is more powerful and uses optics. And is still fairly cheap when you consider its an exact clone of the VisonX bars by the same provider.

Zam15

Explorer
Well LEDs are sweet.

However, the one you linked too vs the photos you posted are VERY different.

The one you linked to is a simple as LEDs get. No optics and a simple small cheap reflector. My experience is these type of lights make great flood/fill lights. NOT good driving lights. Distance is sad.

The one in the photos has actual optics and reflectors. Thus the better looking beam pattern. Looks like dual type optics with the centers being hyper shots and outers being more floods.

And id be willing to bet a much bigger price difference. Probably 3w vs 5w LEDs too.

The one i linked to you would be MUCH better as it is more powerful and uses optics. And is still fairly cheap when you consider its an exact clone of the VisonX bars by the same provider.

I attached that photos just to see what I could fit and where on the bumper as both the light bars and bull bars are popular over in the outback right now. Pretty sure its a Rigid.

I have watched a few comparison videos and the light output does not appear to look that much different. But as you said the beam is great. I actually like the flood/driving output more than spot most of the time. When I am using my lights I often don't find myself needing to see a few miles down the road, I like canyons and forest that are mostly turns. :safari-rig:

But I may run one spot and one flood to cover all types of driving, combos are also decent. The pods I have in route are all floods. So I may spend a little more on a decent spot for the reasons you stated.

Any of these are still leaps and bounds ahead of what was available 10-20 years ago.

Also theft is a big concern for me, so if a $30 light bar gets jacked or damaged I'll be far less upset and be able to order a replacement next day. I do have a few ebay gift cards I need to find a use for, so if they don't get used for tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94