Xpedition Camper out of Minnesota

Hoefler

Supporting Sponsor: Haf Xpedition Camper
Photos of inside pretty soon. We are not using the starwood stuff-its way to heavy.
Pete

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might look at some of the small AC units used on the teardrop trailers - "climate right A/C" - instead of the rooftop AC unit - especially if the camper is well insulated. It would reduce the height and be a bit less top heavy depending on where it was located. There is a posting of a similar camper box with it over the cab on the front of the box - it was a military S250 communication box. Removing the roof mounted AC unit also would allow more solar modules to be installed.

Also - you won't want the roll bar tube to cross over the solar modules - it will drastically reduce their output. Shading even one cell of a solar panel can reduce its output substantially as the material goes from producing current flow to resisting current flow. I also would be concerned about the side bars shading as well.

Last edited:

jamesk

Observer
I really like the 'wet room' style entryway on the earthcruiser. It seems like it would save some floor space and open the place up a bit. Taking off muddy/dusty shoes in an area that could be hosed down later sounds good as well.

XP camper also has a trick fold down bathroom to save space.

Coming from someone with a fully enclosed bathroom in a class b van, having a telephone booth sized room eats up space quickly.

These thoughts came to me while envisioning the floorplan with the cabover sleeping area getting closed off by the bathroom.

Hoefler

Taking all the advise. I will check out the climate right site. The air conditioner unit that we have seems to weigh in at around 100 pounds. We are moving the external tubes to prevent shading.
The area where one walks in and passes the bath area is an in efficient use of space. So, making the entrance into a combination bath room-I will lay that out to see how we can make that work. Thanks to all.
Pete

Darwin

Explorer
Will the new walls have any more R value? Is it possible to add more R value to the roof? What construction and side panels are you using?

I will be working in Fargo ND 3 days a week until Oct. and spending the rest of the time in northern MN around Grand Rapids. Since I am going to be in your part of the country I look forward to checking these campers out in person sometime in Oct.

Hoefler

Walls are minimum R10. Roof-R13. Side panels are composite foam with aluminum skin.
We are located about 5 minutes from downtown St Paul. Stop in when able!
Pete

jamesk

Observer
You could reduce some rear overhang in the cabover model. Since there will be a dedicated sleeping area, the dinette doesn't have to be so big. Perhaps eliminate the back portion of the U-shaped dinette and chop a foot or two off the overall length in the rear.

Combine that with the mixed use entryway and you're building my dream camper.

A small battery powered AC unit would be a godsend. I hate running my generator.

Darwin

Explorer
You could reduce some rear overhang in the cabover model. Since there will be a dedicated sleeping area, the dinette doesn't have to be so big. Perhaps eliminate the back portion of the U-shaped dinette and chop a foot or two off the overall length in the rear.
I see some do this, but it would it would be merely for aesthetic reasons with no actual functionality. The camper if on a flat bed would already be up high enough that departure angle would have no effect. Personally I would rather have the storage space, which you would need for batteries if attempting to run an AC from batts.

Hoefler

Serial number 1 is now nearly fully de-constructed. Goes into fabrication next week for several changes.
Its going on a diet next week.
Pete

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 92
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 100

Silverado08

Observer
Nice design and build,,however was wondering why not make the roof with bit of a sloping crown to make the rain water run off easier..?
Also making the sides extending lower in front of wheels would give more storage space and lower center of gravity..if you place heavy stuff like batteries water tanks down there..
Finaly..to improve the flow of air and increase fuel economy, Id build the rear end rounded ala Airstream style,,or the old Avion if youre familiar with and or GMC Futureliner..

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Lots of options for making the back more aerodynamic - there are semi-trailers with folding and even inflatable streamlining devices. Adding any permanent additional length would not be a good idea for a lot of reasons of course...

The flat back is also handy for carrying bikes / motorcycles also.

jamesk

Observer
With such a massive rig, I think the fuel savings a more aerodynamic configuration would gain will be negligible. At least not enough to warrant compromising the ease of roof and rear mounting options (solar panels, bikes, etc).

Can't wait to see the changes to the deconstructed rig.

Hoefler

Webasto cooktop arrived today, along with Espar heating. Looks to be of high quality stuff. The Espar can also run on kerosene.

Hoefler

Posting pricing. We are currently building two units.
Pete

Attachments

• Hard Point PricingHP12002.5_Page_1.jpg
    Hard Point PricingHP12002.5_Page_1.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Hard Point PricingHP12002.5_Page_2.jpg
    Hard Point PricingHP12002.5_Page_2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 271

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member