XPCamper Updates

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
XPCamper update

A few factory pics:
396210_345481622146768_177569615604637_1242391_641694_n.jpg
XPCamperinGV3.jpg
XPCamperinGV1.jpg

And hiding somewhere in there is the new XP Compact prototype, but Marc is not ready to reveal that yet. I have seen a video of the compact model pop up in action and it is really COOL!

tnt

Observer
Very nice to see the new shop and room for several campers under construction at once. Good for you, Marc.

And hiding somewhere in there is the new XP Compact prototype
Hmmmm, the camper partially showing on the right of the first photo looks different from the other XP's. Quite the tease.

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmmm, the camper partially showing on the right of the first photo looks different from the other XP's. Quite the tease.

Nope, thats a full size XP. The compact model has a rear door, not a side door (it does look small when next to 2 other XPs that are popped up doesn't it?)
Mark

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
The picture in question shows 3 full size XPCampers, 2 popped up and one not popped up. All full size XPCampers now have a top hinged upper door. Only the first 2 (or maybe 3?) had a side hinged upper door.

DSC00078.JPG
181698_192611870767078_177569615604637_618134_7088347_n.jpg

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
That looks like the open hood of a truck to me (hint: when I wrote: "hiding somewhere in there is the new XP Compact prototype" I did not mean to imply that there are any parts of the compact camper visible in these pics, I meant that it is back there somewhere, but not visible (i.e.:hidden)...sorry to disappoint you)

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Elephant and XP

Here is a photo from South Africa showing an elephant crossing the road behind Frank and Annie's XP
398434_349811681713762_177569615604637_1254878_688159379_n.jpg

Marc1

Observer
The picture in question shows 3 full size XPCampers, 2 popped up and one not popped up. All full size XPCampers now have a top hinged upper door. Only the first 2 (or maybe 3?) had a side hinged upper door.

View attachment 82564
View attachment 82733

Let me clarify things for everyone. The first two Xp's had three piece side swinging doors. When I purchased the prototype, XP 1.1 I wanted a flip up one piece door and that is what you see mounted on my Ford F350. Now a refined version of that door is what is used on all new builds. The camper you see in the down position is mine which is back at the shop having a new fridge and solar panel installed. Alot of the finish work on mine was performed by me as I bought the prototype. My name is also Marc with a "C". not to be confused with Marc Wassman.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Marc1;
Thanks for the clarification.
Do you have any other photos of your XP in action, that you would care to share? If you were to order another XP today what options would you add, that your prototype lacked, if any?

Marc1

Observer
Marc1;
Thanks for the clarification.
Do you have any other photos of your XP in action, that you would care to share? If you were to order another XP today what options would you add, that your prototype lacked, if any?

Hi Mark. I have quite a few pics from trips to DV and the E.Sierra. For what ever reason, I am unable to up-load pics on this site or am doing it wrong. Have tried numerous times over the past couple of years with no results. In regards to options, the only thing I might change would be the shower/head area.

John E Davies

Adventurer
I would really like to learn more about the camper mounting system; does it consist of hidden spring loaded turnbuckles, and do they need attention during travels off pavement? Pics or drawings would be great, but I understand why they may be proprietary information.

How hard or easy is their access, for a quick "reassurance check" as you set up camp in the evening, to make sure everything is secure?

Does the camper float on the tray, and if so, how about wear and moisture issues due to the movement and gritty stuff migrating between the two major shifting parts? Is the bottom sealed, for example, by a rubber perimeter strip that should be replaced at some point?

At what interval should an owner remove the camper to clean and inspect those areas (the tray top and the camper bottom)?

One thing that bothers me more than a little about the basic design, and this applies to a number of different manufacturers, is that the mounting system doesn't appear to allow for any chassis flex. I am assuming the tray bolts up hard to the truck chassis. Have you seen any stress issues after lots of rough off pavement driving?

Do you miss the extra wheel travel that would have occurred if the frame could twist? The other side of the coin - does the mount system improve highway ride?

Having seen an EarthRoamer mounting system up close at their factory, and having seen a video of one flexing off pavement, this is a major concern for me and possibly a deal breaker. I am the first to admit that I am no engineer and I don't know very much about the technical details, nor have I read all the special build threads at Expedition Portal that talk about flex and mounts and articulation. Can anyone fully enlighten me? My main worry is about possible major stress failures of both tray and camper many years from now.... I own a welded aluminum utility trailer and know well how rigid the structure is - but it won't flex if severely overloaded. It will crack!

Finally, I would really like to watch a video showing the loading and unloading of the camper on the tray by an individual owner, not a gang of pros at the factory. If I bought an XPCamper, I would need to be able to easily unload it onto a wheeled dolly and push it back into my garage either by hand or by using a tongue and coupler, and ball mount and the truck.....

I'm going to crawl all over an XPCamper at OE, but I want to know NOW!

Thanks for any and all technical advice.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
John;
I can't give you complete answers to all the above technical questions, you would be best to talk to Marc directly for that.

However, in general, I understand the following: The flatbed is mounted directly to the truck frame and is a bolted and riveted assembly with a minimum of welds. This allows the flatbed to flex as much as a standard truck bed. At each corner of the flatbed there is a vertical female receiver built in. A large vertical pin (about 1 1/2" x 6") protrudes from the bottom of the subframe (the subframe is permanently bonded to the bottom of the camper and also houses the pull out stairs). The subframe pins slot into the flatbed receivers, and a bolt on the receiver is fastened thru a slot in the pin. This slot allows for movement. These pins and receivers also work as a very effective system for aligning the camper quickly and easily. I know Marc has done extensive testing of this system off road.

Cheers
Mark

dn.asp.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne