Working from Not Home, Part 1 -- Zion and Jackson Hole

jhmoore

One can only stay in a small house with a wife, two daughters, a dog, a cat, and two bunny rabbits for so long... so over the summer I did a lot of research, purchasing, and preparation to take off around Labor Day weekend and work from the wilderness from then until the election. Unfortunately, some health issues in my wife's family resulted in my not being able to leave until late October--when things were a lot colder and daylight much shorter! But set out I did, still wanting to prove whether the technology would work.

What technology? To work from not home, the big things you need to solve are power and internet--so my big purchases were a Jackery battery & solar panel setup and the WeBoost cell signal booster. As well as a portable screened gazebo and a good table & chair.

Except for the lack of daylight when I wasn't working and the temperatures, things worked out great. I'm back home now after just a couple weeks, but am thinking about heading out again for a short while... though mostly I may wait for better weather and more daylight next spring.

I didn't do a great job of taking video to tell much of a story or of talking to the camera... the video thing is fairly new to me... to but here's some video of the trip:

jhmoore

Great video. Any recommendations for places to camp in the Jackson Hole area?

Depends on when you're going and what you're looking for! My experience is in or just barely outside of Grand Teton National Park. If you're with someone who needs some conveniences, stay up at the Colter Bay Campground inside the park. There will be bathrooms, bear bins, and in the little village next to the campground there's a laundry/shower place, a decent food market, and a restaurant. If you don't need the village but still want bathrooms, Gros Ventre Campground will have moose near/in camp during the right seasons. I've never stayed at Jenny Lake (inside the park). Then if you're getting away from paid NPS campgrounds, there is forest service land very close to the action in several places "in" in the park--out Pacific Creek Road (5-10 miles to the USFS/NPS boundary), Shadow Mountain, and up from near Cunningham Cabin. You can even find places just off the road east out of the park near Gros Ventre to pull over for a night, but I wouldn't want to camp there. Sadly, Grand Teton NP has been getting far too popular the past couple years, so all of these places will have too many people in season. And this year "season" lasted far, far longer than any other year in recent times. The location in my video (above) was not far up from the forest service road across from Cunningham Cabin. Great views, some cell service, but it's a big open space that I hear turns into an parking lot in season. Even this far off season, a couple times I had to tell folks that it wasn't a parking lot and the two camping spots were already taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior