Window tint

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't get upset about window tint.

And there are probably exemptions on the books for those vehicles, just like how cops and cop cars are generally exempt from seatbelt, cell phone, tint, and other laws.

Lol... Considering they are owned by the State and funded by the Feds... They most definitely get an exemption. They also require a driver and codriver at night due to not being able to see a damn thing...haha.

MTVR

The "money-making" comments always crack me up- there's no way to pay for a cop that makes well over $100,000 a year, plus free medical, plus six weeks of paid leave every year, plus massive retirement contributions, plus, plus, plus...all from writing tint citations...

plumber mike

Adventurer
The "money-making" comments always crack me up- there's no way to pay for a cop that makes well over $100,000 a year, plus free medical, plus six weeks of paid leave every year, plus massive retirement contributions, plus, plus, plus...all from writing tint citations...
I never suggested it covered everything, but every little bit helps. I’m willing to do my part if need be.

As to the earlier question, I usually just ask someone in our local department about things like exhaust, tint, mods etc. I’ve found that it’s best for me to just ask the fellas tasked with keeping me in line. It’s a tough job so I figured I could help.

MTVR

As to the earlier question, I usually just ask someone in our local department about things like exhaust, tint, mods etc. I’ve found that it’s best for me to just ask the fellas tasked with keeping me in line. It’s a tough job so I figured I could help.

What state are you in?

I'll look it up for you...

MTVR

I’m not concerned with where I live, it’s usually traveling to larger areas that have more aggressive policing. This one helps....

That's not a law- it's just a bill. Colorado Revised Statutes 42-4-227 makes no exception for vehicles registered out of state, and it says that installing illegal window tint is a criminal offense punishable by a fine of up to $5,000. That's PER offense- per illegally tinted window.

MTVR

I’m told they changed the law here to allow tint strips on windshield to go down the factory sun visor level....which makes sense....or you’d be getting pulled over for having your sun visors down.
I got sucked into this thread because I’d like to tint my entire windshield but would like a quality film and not much tinting.

So let's bring this one to the current page, and look at it within the context of CRS 42-4-427.

CRS 42-4-427 makes no mention of being able to tint the windshield as far down as the visors, or anything even remotely resembling that. It says that you can't tint the windshield more than 4" down from the top, and that whatever you put on those top 4" cannot be red, amber, mirrored, or have lettering on it.

ANY tint that you install on the windshield below that top 4", no matter how light it is, is going to invite a criminal conviction on your record, in addition to a $5,000 fine.

And there is no exclusion for out of state vehicles.

Like they told us in the academy- we can't make people do the right thing, but we can sure make them wish that they had...

Last edited:

MTVR

We want to actually be able to travel, so on our truck, we are going to use the stock tires, the stock wheels, the stock suspension, the stock exhaust system, the stock lights, and no added window tint, so that it will be legal in all 50 states...

20200321_120609.jpg

plumber mike

Adventurer
We want to actually be able to travel, so on our truck, we are going to use the stock tires, the stock wheels, the stock suspension, the stock exhaust system, the stock lights, and no added window tint, so that it will be legal in all 50 states...

View attachment 601275
Thanks for the info. Nice truck. Is it air conditioned? Looks like you’d cook without it or some tint.

• Haha
Reactions: plh

MTVR

Thanks.

Our MTVR is a 2007, so it is air conditioned, with automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, ABS, traction control, CTIS, air ride seat, yada, yada.

53" tall fully beadlocked Michelin tubeless radials with runflat inserts and dual CTIS to adjust front and rear tire pressures independently on the fly. Long-travel (16" front, 13" rear) fully-independent coil-sprung suspension. Five selectable drivetrain lockers. Full-time all wheel drive with a torque-differentiating transfer case. 7-speed Allison heavy-duty double-overdrive automatic transmission. 11.9-liter (732 cubic inch) Cat intercooled turbodiesel engine with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque.

It is 12 feet tall- we look DOWN into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs. It can ford five feet of water. It has a 58:1 crawl ratio that can be accessed without stopping. It is governed to a top speed of 65 mph. It has a 62,200 pound GVWR, giving it a payload capacity of 30,000 pounds.

The government originally paid about $250,000 for it. They put about 3,000 miles on it (it was an armored gun truck attached to a Marine special forces unit), and then sent it to auction, where we got it for about $15,000. The original tires still have about 90% tread.

Last edited:

alanymarce

Note that you'll have to avoid Tijuana, and may run into problems in Costa Rica with anything other than factory tint,. If you're thinking of travelling to South America at some point, then you'll run into problems in Perú if you don't have the required permit, and Brazil if the transmissibility is lower than allowed.

gnel

Note that you'll have to avoid Tijuana, and may run into problems in Costa Rica with anything other than factory tint,. If you're thinking of travelling to South America at some point, then you'll run into problems in Perú if you don't have the required permit, and Brazil if the transmissibility is lower than allowed.

I go thru TJ a couple times a year and never had problems. I have a Mexican plated vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz