Winch.... hitch winches vs. integrated

What type of winch mounts?

• Total voters

offroadchef

Adventurer
My front winch is tcuked behind the stock front bumper. My brother built a custom bracket that tucks between the frame rails. We cut a hole in the front bumper for the line and have the plates connected to the fairlane. we even move the plug for the remote to the bumper. Then i found a push bar and had to install that. lets just say "hope i never have to take the winch out" If someone would want the winch well then the truck is gone too... Sofar only one "toy" had to be pulled....:D

Markus

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Integrated - here's mine, homemade

It added 250 lbs to my front weight!!! You don't see the 3/16 square tubing behond the chrome bumper.

rvwinch.jpg

rv_012b.jpg

CLynn85

Explorer
For my Jeep I went with the bumper mount. For one, it's really easy on a jeep with the extended front frame horns. I also didn't like how far it would hang off the front when mounted, and how it could wreak havock on the balance of such a short wheelbase. It would be nice to remove it when not in use, so I'm not lugging it around everywhere I go, but by the same token it's come in handy at some times when it would otherwise not have been on the vehicle.

My dad runs a warn multi mount on the front of his work truck, wired front and back, and all the road guys in his division are also wired for it, whether they have one installed or not. If they get in a sticky situation the winch can be thrown into the mix for a recovery effort, it rarely leaves its front mount though.

If I were to put one on a daily driven truck that sees minimal off road duty, I'd probably go with the removable mount, and just install it for wheeling trips, but on the jeep or a regularly used rig I see no reason not to bolt it on permanently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne