Wildlife Photography

kpredator

Adventurer
pat
I think your going to take away arthur morris title!!!!!!
birdsasart.com

btw overnited at your place on a trip back from the bahamas.
cool place

regards
kp

WininUtah

Adventurer
Last weekend we came across some California Condors feeding on a carcass. There are around 70 in the UT/AZ area, we saw seven! I've managed to photograph them before but it's been a few years since they were this cooperative.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Last weekend we came across some California Condors feeding on a carcass. There are around 70 in the UT/AZ area, we saw seven! I've managed to photograph them before but it's been a few years since they were this cooperative.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg
WOW, that would have been an impressive sight to behold. Thanks for posting.

bhowdy

I am new around these forums and really enjoying all the information. I am an amateur wildlife photographer so I am sure this will be one of my regular places to visit.
Brown bear boar from Lake Clark National Park ..... I'm headed back in August, can't wait

p410839412-5.jpg

I am new around these forums and really enjoying all the information. I am an amateur wildlife photographer so I am sure this will be one of my regular places to visit.
Brown bear boar from Lake Clark National Park ..... I'm headed back in August, can't wait

p410839412-5.jpg

Hopefully this was with a long lens

Pathfinder

Adventurer
A few months ago I posted some pictures mostly of whales and eagles. ( http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=253186 ) I knew that in mid-May I would be returning by my truck camper, via the Alcan Highway, to hopefully gather some more frames of wildlife.

I have returned home now, after spending about 25 days on the road to and from Alaska, via the Cassiar Highway going north, and via the Alcan highway coming home again. This was my first attempt at driving the Alcan, and I will plan to return next spring I am sure. It is quite an experience, and I am still reflecting on what I learned while traveling. Some parts of the Alcan are lovely to drive, and some parts have such severe frost heave that one can only drive about 25 mph safely. The dirt portions are better than the asphalt portions at times.

One fact I learned, is that wildlife is much more available for photography in British Columbia and Yukon Territory than it is in the US. This may not be others experience, but it was mine quite convincingly.

I saw at least a dozen or more grizzlies, most from a distance of less than 50 feet. Almost all my shooting was done from the safety of my truck cab.

Northern bears - grizzlies, and black bears - seem to love dandelions. We saw them along the roadside repeatedly eating the yellow flowers, especially along the Yellow-Head Highway in British Columbia from Jasper to Stewart.

Grizzly%20Robson%20Provicial%20Park-7845-X2.jpg

grizzly%20eyes-8101-X2.jpg

grizzly%20in%20ferns%20portrait%20-7951-X2.jpg

At no time did the bears seem disturbed by people or vehicles in the least, they saw 18 wheelers go by them down the road without apparent alarm. The bears simply went about their business eating dandelions and grass.

I felt quite safe in the cab of my truck,.... but I would not have wanted to be afoot.

We spoke to a lady running a campsite in the Northern Yukon Territory about bear spray and she laughed and said " Do you have a dog? Do you have a gun? If not, then stay out of the woods" She wasn't kidding and she had lived in the northern YT all her 45 years.

One thing I did see was a moose killed by a pick up truck near Muncho Lake - fortunately the driver and passenger were unharmed, but the truck was demolished with the front windshield completely destroyed. Fortunately we saw numerous other healthy moose.

As I continue to edit my images, I may add some more frames of wildlife in this post if any one is interested.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well Pathfinder, I for one do not. I find most of your photos boring and lackluster. There's really no point in your posting yet more of them....

... because they just make ours look like crap!

LOL! Of course you should post your images! Please!!!!!

Pathfinder

Adventurer
How about some caribou then?

running%20%20caribou-8818-X2.jpg

I thought bhowdy's grizzly in the blue flowers set the bar pretty high, myself!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles