Whynter 12v Fridge reviews? Alpicool?

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I have the Whynter 45, but badged as an Edgestar. I bought it in 2009 and it has been running almost continuously since then, either in my truck on 12V or in the house on 120V. It has been dead reliable and has never missed a beat.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have the Whynter 45, but badged as an Edgestar. I bought it in 2009 and it has been running almost continuously since then, either in my truck on 12V or in the house on 120V. It has been dead reliable and has never missed a beat.
Good lord Jim, I just realized I know you from way back.

Great to see your around.

RDinNHand AZ

I have had an Alpicool CF35 for nearly a year. It’s been faultless and the bluetooth app to my iPhone is great. It rides with us all summer in the back of the Rav4 and Tacoma on trips. These are now down to $279, run quietly and come with the DC cord and a 110V converter.

Boatbuilder79

My whytner kicked the bucket today. Made it just over 3 years.

Just ordered an alpicool to replace it.

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

So Ordered a piercing valve for $6 and will stop by Walmart for a can of 134a and see if that does anything. Figured it might be worth a $10 attempt to save it.

I will update if that works.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
So Ordered a piercing valve for $6 and will stop by Walmart for a can of 134a and see if that does anything. Figured it might be worth a $10 attempt to save it.

I will update if that works.
Good Idea, you can always use it as a Backup.

zelseman

Observer
I purchased a Whynter 65 in 2017 and ran it full time in a van until a couple of weeks ago when the person who bought it from us said it started leaking freon. I am sure it was an easy fix, but the new owner opted to drop in a dometic to replace it.

Based on that longevity, I likely wouldn't purchase a Whynter again. The equivalent Dometic is not that much more expensive when on sale (which happens a few times each year) and comes with a much better build quality and a lot of cool features. The longer we buy gear the more we realize that buy once, cry once is a good strategy. If you are just going out for the weekend, it's probably fine to risk it but if you full time or take a big remote expedition, I would and did spend more.

Boatbuilder79

So I added some Freon and it has started to cool again. It was showing 59 degrees when I started and it is at 30 degrees now after running 2 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior