Why buy a land cruiser?

nickw

Adventurer
I live in South Texas, every other person drives a diesel truck down here and I am on my 6th one so it's safe to say that I get quite a bit of time around them and their owners. Now, everyone's experience and opinions are relative to their exposure but it's safe to say that "in my experience" a diesel will have a longer and more reliable life span if worked heavily than the equivalent gasser HD. Where diesels run into issues is when they are treated like grocery getters. Payload is always sacrificed in a 3/4-ton which is why I am happy that I made the move to a 1-ton, my 3500 has a payload of nearly 4,600 lbs, granted you do sacrifice ride quality for the sake of more payload but priorities be what they are lol.

While I agree with you that a stripped down LC probably wouldn't sell well here in most regions (it would if they replaced the 4Runner with such a vehicle) there would still be certain niche enthusiasts such as myself and others here that would jump at the chance to own such a vehicle. Our domestic HD trucks have a lot going against them in other parts of the world, many of which you already highlighted, but I don't think that they'd ever compete in terms of long term reliability or resale beyond this current markets insanity.
I'll stand by my opinion, simple LC doesn't have a place in the US, there is no supply chain to support it and the $$ to performance ratio would be way out of whack....which to my point earlier is why I brought up the example of a Ram 2500, not comparing domestic vs Toyota, but a counter example of why a LC70 ute isn't viable, if Toyota made a 3/4 - 1 T we could have used that too.

Speaking of the stripped down 70's....romantics want them but lets be honest, they sound better on paper than reality. People don't daily drive leaf sprung jeeps from the 70/80s for good reason, that's effectively a base model 70. Never mind trying to go on a long trip hauling a camper or trailer like the majority of Americans travel....which gets into the do-loop of if you are just going to bounce around town in one, what's the point? It just becomes an expensive status symbol (a pretty cool one I'll admit). Very very few guys would enjoy the experience more than the nostalgia and romanticism around it....even less women would ;)

US trucks are starting to catch on in Aus:

Toyota refuses to sell the Tundra in Aus (maybe undercut Hilux?) and the Aussies are spending ~$100k+ (USD) for these rigs....imagine if they were $45-50k (USD) like here, with our cheap fuel, more open living arrangements, less restrictions, etc...they'd be all over the place, at least in the more metro areas vs remote bush villages....

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Speaking of the stripped down 70's....romantics want them but lets be honest, they sound better on paper than reality. People don't daily drive leaf sprung jeeps from the 70/80s for good reason, that's effectively a base model 70.
I too have always wondered this...there are plenty of semi affordable 60 series driving around still and posted on classifieds, and they aren't all that different. Folks say they want a 70 series, but giving up the creature comforts of their late model 4Runner sure seems to be a deal breaker.

nickw

Adventurer
I too have always wondered this...there are plenty of semi affordable 60 series driving around still and posted on classifieds, and they aren't all that different. Folks say they want a 70 series, but giving up the creature comforts of their late model 4Runner sure seems to be a deal breaker.
I was the biggest Toyota fan (and still am to some degree), but I just can't wrap my head around having a 70 series besides the *cool* factor, which would wear off really quick I think.....but maybe I am just getting old :)

I had a really nice 1978 super clean tip-top 40 series (which to your point, is not that far off a 60 or 70)....it has more power than a diesel 70, it was fun to drive, but not something I could live with on a regular basis based on handling, power, noise, etc....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'll stand by my opinion, simple LC doesn't have a place in the US, there is no supply chain to support it and the $$ to performance ratio would be way out of whack....which to my point earlier is why I brought up the example of a Ram 2500, not comparing domestic vs Toyota, but a counter example of why a LC70 ute isn't viable, if Toyota made a 3/4 - 1 T we could have used that too.

Speaking of the stripped down 70's....romantics want them but lets be honest, they sound better on paper than reality. People don't daily drive leaf sprung jeeps from the 70/80s for good reason, that's effectively a base model 70. Never mind trying to go on a long trip hauling a camper or trailer like the majority of Americans travel....which gets into the do-loop of if you are just going to bounce around town in one, what's the point? It just becomes an expensive status symbol (a pretty cool one I'll admit). Very very few guys would enjoy the experience more than the nostalgia and romanticism around it....even less women would ;)

Toyota refuses to sell the Tundra in Aus (maybe undercut Hilux?) and the Aussies are spending ~$100k+ (USD) for these rigs....imagine if they were $45-50k (USD) like here, with our cheap fuel, more open living arrangements, less restrictions, etc...they'd be all over the place, at least in the more metro areas vs remote bush villages....

The same can be said about wranglers. Yet people buy them
70 series has had coil springs in the front for 15ish years now

nickw

Adventurer
The same can be said about wranglers. Yet people buy them
70 series has had coil springs in the front for 15ish years now
Wranglers are soft and reasonably comfortable - proper HD LC70's, even with coils are stiff as a board (which is why I compared them). Not to mention, heated seats, nanny gadgets, much better NVH, significantly more power (if comparing to a 1HZ), wrangler is a much better rig for 95% of people as a toy and are in no way shape or form a 'work' vehicle.

Would you spend say $55k on a LC70 base model, 1HZ + H55f for actual use vs investment? It's easy to say yes if you know it's going to appreciate, lets take that out of the equation, for your personal use and you had to keep it until the day you died or pass on to kids, would you drop that coin? If so, how do you think you'd use it? Daily driver, offroad rig, expedition use only, car shows, etc?

I think they are as cool as the next guy, but if I can drop the emotion, I just struggle to see how they fit in to our market.....

Now if Toyota came out with a 70 with a bit more of an upscale appeal, maybe they use the diesel V8 or the gas V8, drop the manual, add in some comforts, soften the suspension slightly, maybe I could see the appeal....but you effectively have a LC200 and you've brought the price into that $70k+ mark.

I do see an opportunity for an updated FJCruiser though - modern engine, keep it on the Prado / IFS chassis and leverage a more historic 2-door 70-series body shape.....maybe throw in a manual....modern day Toyota version of the Bronco, that could be a thing.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Wranglers are soft and reasonably comfortable - proper HD LC70's, even with coils are stiff as a board (which is why I compared them). Not to mention, heated seats, nanny gadgets, much better NVH, significantly more power (if comparing to a 1HZ), wrangler is a much better rig for 95% of people as a toy and are in no way shape or form a 'work' vehicle.

Would you spend say $55k on a LC70 base model, 1HZ + H55f for actual use vs investment? It's easy to say yes if you know it's going to appreciate, lets take that out of the equation, for your personal use and you had to keep it until the day you died or pass on to kids, would you drop that coin? If so, how do you think you'd use it? Daily driver, offroad rig, expedition use only, car shows, etc?

I think they are as cool as the next guy, but if I can drop the emotion, I just struggle to see how they fit in to our market.....

Now if Toyota came out with a 70 with a bit more of an upscale appeal, maybe they use the diesel V8 or the gas V8, drop the manual, add in some comforts, soften the suspension slightly, maybe I could see the appeal....but you effectively have a LC200 and you've brought the price into that $70k+ mark.

I do see an opportunity for an updated FJCruiser though - modern engine, keep it on the Prado / IFS chassis and leverage a more historic 2-door 70-series body shape.....maybe throw in a manual....modern day Toyota version of the Bronco, that could be a thing.

I absolutely would. But then I daily drive a unimog for a couple years. If I could get a 70 series 4 door I’d replace my 60 in a heart beat.

nickw

Adventurer
Sure why not. It has heat a/c sat radio power windows locked front and rear and full float rear. I can fold the back seat down and my dog can ride with me.
It's what I'd use one for too if I were willing to drop the $ for one.....but not typical use case and certainly not what they were designed to do. From a practical perspective, wouldn't a 4runner be able to do the exact same thing? Again, I'm trying to be unemotional about this.....thinking like an exec from Japan.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It's what I'd use one for too if I were willing to drop the $ for one.....but not typical use case and certainly not what they were designed to do. From a practical perspective, wouldn't a 4runner be able to do the exact same thing? Again, I'm trying to be unemotional about this.....thinking like an exec from Japan.

Of course it would be, but look at my name :)
If it ever became available, which it never would I would never sell it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

I test drove a very well built Troopy a few years back with every intention of purchasing it. After the lengthy test drive and dinner with the owner I decided to pass. The lack of power, the rough ride and the overall underwhelming feeling I had while driving it just turned me off to the idea of using it as a long distance off-road tourer which is what it was setup for. In hindsight I should have purchased it, sat on it for a few years and then unloaded it now for double the price lol.

We will likely never see a 70-Series type vehicle for sale new over here and if we did it wouldn't sell for the more normal price point we'd expect or hope for it to. In the same respect the Aussies will likely never see $50-70K RAM 2500/3500's either, the economics of it all just doesn't make sense. I still dig the looks of the 70-Series trucks and I will always admire them but I doubt I'll ever see one in my garage.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I’ve wanted a Land Cruiser since 1986 when I started working at the local Toyota dealer as an oil changer. 35 years later and now a service manager at a Toyota dealer for 20 years I still haven’t gotten one. I did the pre delivery inspection on an 86 FJ60 way back then and fell in love. Still pretty much out of the budget. 3 4runners, 2 4wd pick ups, Corolla,TC. I wouldn’t know which one to get if I ever could. 40s are awesome. Love the look of the 60. 62s, fuel injection and power locks/windows. 80s dams near indestructible. 100s, V8, boringly reliable. They’ve all gotten so crazy expensive though. Someday maybe.

tacollie

Glamper
It's funny when people compare a 70 series to US 3/4 trucks. A 70 series is a midsize truck with 2200lbs payload and a diesel V8 with 479lbs of torque. While they would be a niche market here I think they would out so the 200 series. Probably not enough justify though. I think you would see a lot less overweight Tacoma builds. Superdutys ride like crap but people still buy them ?

Toyota would rather sell the trucks that make them money. It's the same reason the US Ranger has payload than outside the US.

7x series was never made in an extended cab truck variation so I probably wouldn't buy one. I don't want a wagon and I need more room then a single cab and a bed that's 6.5 feet. That's been what I've had for the majority of the last 20 years.

nickw

Adventurer
It's funny when people compare a 70 series to US 3/4 trucks. A 70 series is a midsize truck with 2200lbs payload and a diesel V8 with 479lbs of torque. While they would be a niche market here I think they would out so the 200 series. Probably not enough justify though. I think you would see a lot less overweight Tacoma builds. Superdutys ride like crap but people still buy them ?

Toyota would rather sell the trucks that make them money. It's the same reason the US Ranger has payload than outside the US.

7x series was never made in an extended cab truck variation so I probably wouldn't buy one. I don't want a wagon and I need more room then a single cab and a bed that's 6.5 feet. That's been what I've had for the majority of the last 20 years.
That's what they are, they are "1 Ton" pickups.

They are the size (or smaller) than a Tacoma (single cab one) with the payload capacity of highly optioned (low payload) 3/4 T diesel truck and much less towing at a price point in-line with 3/4 - 1 T trucks. So looking at it from that perspective and using your comment of wanting more room....that makes it either a really good unique vehicle (small truck with great payload and a powerful engine)....or a really poor one (no room with bad payload/towing and low power), depending on what you are comparing with.

Superduty's don't ride great but they also have 2x the payload and 3x the towing - so you are getting a much more capable vehicle with significantly more room.

They'd sell some based on investment / resale opportunities and emotional attachment....not practical use case unless they could sell them for less than $40k, which I find impossible since they are roughly $50k (Aus -> USD), don't include some of our Tariffs and you gotta believe there are going to be MASSIVE ADM's added.....

I just wish the Gov would make them easy to import, it would be a fun second vehicle, I'd want a 5-sp with 4.5 gas engine.

nickw

Adventurer
I’ve wanted a Land Cruiser since 1986 when I started working at the local Toyota dealer as an oil changer. 35 years later and now a service manager at a Toyota dealer for 20 years I still haven’t gotten one. I did the pre delivery inspection on an 86 FJ60 way back then and fell in love. Still pretty much out of the budget. 3 4runners, 2 4wd pick ups, Corolla,TC. I wouldn’t know which one to get if I ever could. 40s are awesome. Love the look of the 60. 62s, fuel injection and power locks/windows. 80s dams near indestructible. 100s, V8, boringly reliable. They’ve all gotten so crazy expensive though. Someday maybe.
Always thought it would be cool to have worked at Toyota dealership back then. My understanding though, at the time, there was not a big market for those rigs at that price point...much like the modern 200's when there were Cherokees, Blazers, Bronco's, etc. available, particularly in a time when there was still a lot push back on Toyota products...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94