Why are other full size SUV's not used in overlanding/offroading as often as Forerunner/Landcruiser?

tacollie

Glamper
I just paid cash for my full-size truck, but I was able to get it for $235,000 off the original price, which I felt pretty good about...
A MTVR isn't a full size. It's a super size. Also, everytime you talk about what you paid for it every US tax payer on the forum throws up a little bit.

Are you planning a around the world trip with it? Are there issues with using an ex military vehicle? I know there are issues with commercial vehicles but I don't know about military.

MTVR

It was kind of a funny deal, really.

I watched the auctions, looked at all the pictures, read all the inspection reports, and waited for two excellent air-conditioned MTVRs to go off at once. A bidding war erupted on the one showing 500 miles less, and I sniped the other one for $15,500.

Screenshot_20200531-072346_Chrome.jpg

Ironically, the winning bidder on the first one failed to pay, and that one was auctioned again, selling for about $10,000 more than I paid for mine.

MTVR

Driving 14,000 miles in 14 days while sleeping in a Jeep with the wife and doing several roadside oil changes? That sounds more like being a meth mule, than an overland expedition.

We're retired- we're planning to spend four YEARS exploring the U.S.. I'll be surprised if we average 100 miles a week (5,000 miles a year), in a vehicle that needs one oil change per year or 500 hours of use (about 30,000 miles), whichever comes first.

ExplorerTom

Explorer

That’s “highly capable offroad”? I suppose if you’re in some wide open spaces like the deserts of CA, NV and UT. In CO, a rig like that would spend a lot of time on those “offroad” trails with Subarus and minivans. You’re not squeezing that thing between trees that don’t leave much extra room for my rig to squeeze between. You’re not making any tight switchbacks in that. You’re not climbing any ledges. You’re not going to fit on any shelf roads cutting across a mountain face.

But other than that: totally capable offroad.

85_Ranger4x4

That’s “highly capable offroad”? I suppose if you’re in some wide open spaces like the deserts of CA, NV and UT. In CO, a rig like that would spend a lot of time on those “offroad” trails with Subarus and minivans. You’re not squeezing that thing between trees that don’t leave much extra room for my rig to squeeze between. You’re not making any tight switchbacks in that. You’re not climbing any ledges. You’re not going to fit on any shelf roads cutting across a mountain face.

But other than that: totally capable offroad.

My grandpa's neighbor has one. Keep in mind this is Iowa

He was checking fences via a little trail he had made around his place and found a wet spot. Buried it in mud halfway up the grille. When we found it (could see it from grandpa's side of the fence when we were deer hunting) you could see where they had a big 4wd tractor swinging back and forth on the back end trying to pull it it out.

When we saw it (early December) winter had set in and it was froze in. It sat there until early the next year.

Getting something that big stuck really complicates the recovery...

85_Ranger4x4

That's why I have a 2wd truck on street tires. If I was to get stuck... It's easy to get back out and doesn't require an M88....haha.

If I had a 2wd with street tires I would have to drive my tractor to work for 4 months out of the year... pass.

I do prefer to go looking for trouble with my Ranger. It is easier for my F-150 to pull out the Ranger than vice versa.

D

Deleted member 9101

If I had a 2wd with street tires I would have to drive my tractor to work for 4 months out of the year... pass.

I do prefer to go looking for trouble with my Ranger. It is easier for my F-150 to pull out the Ranger than vice versa.

Lol... It does depend on where you live. I live in Central Florida, no need for 4wd or AWD.

Other than visiting family in West TX and New Mexico the only time my truck leaves the pavement is to get washed (I park it on the lawn when I wash it, might as well put the water to good use) or when I take my daughter fishing.... Which is 100' of gravel...haha.

D

Deleted member 374434BT

Lol... It does depend on where you live. I live in Central Florida, no need for 4wd or AWD.

Other than visiting family in West TX and New Mexico the only time my truck leaves the pavement is to get washed (I park it on the lawn when I wash it, might as well put the water to good use) or when I take my daughter fishing.... Which is 100' of gravel...haha.

So you only use 4wd to escape the dreaded wet grass?

MTVR

My grandpa's neighbor has one.

"One" what? Lots of lay people that see the MTVR, seem to have stories about their grandpa's neighbor's dog's nephew's co-worker's sister's husband used to have "one" years ago, but it turns out they're actually talking about a deuce and a half or a 5-ton, neither of which are related in ANY way to the MTVR.

There are only about 300 or so MTVRs in civilian hands, and before about a year ago, there were zero MTVRs in civilian hands.

Here's a pic of an MTVR towing a 5-ton. Notice the difference now?

20200531_113101.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior