Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

moonshiner

Observer
They do but they are playing games with their packaging. The “Timberline” and likely other models will get various combinations. Ford marketing is getting all wrapped in doing named packages vs options you can add to virtually any trim.

Also likely tied to parts availability / supply issues.
Maybe it's parts shortage, but right now you can't configure an Expedition with the selectable locker on Ford's website. Not as a stand alone option or as part of a package.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Maybe it's parts shortage, but right now you can't configure an Expedition with the selectable locker on Ford's website. Not as a stand alone option or as part of a package.
Ford has definitely gotten smarter about their website vs what they have to sell. No doubt parts availability is a big issue and factor. One thing is for sure I probably wouldn’t have bought the Expedition if rear locker wasn’t an option. The old G80 in the GM twins is way way better than nothing. The full sized rigs especially independent rear suspension SUVs need that locker or they easily get stuck even in mild crossed up situations.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ford has definitely gotten smarter about their website vs what they have to sell. No doubt parts availability is a big issue and factor.
Most likely. I can't speak to other models but I know the 2022 F150's are de-contented vs the 2021's.

You can still get some of the equipment but it's an extra cost option on the 2022 vs being standard equipment on a similar equipped 2021.

skrypj

One article I read (from car and driver, I think) said TRD Off Road option (which has the rear locker) is available on all trims. Not 100% sure on the credibility, because they also said it came with a 3.4L TT engine.

I mean, technically, it is a 3.4L

skrypj

1st and 2nd gen Sequoia and LC since the 80 series had a true center diff (i.e. gears like front or rear diff), so you could run 4hi or even 4lo on dry pavement with the center diff unlock. And I thought 4th gen 4runner and Limited trim 5th gen 4runner also uses a true center diff. Other 5th gen 4runner uses a part-time system with no center diff. I have a 2nd gen Sequoia and the ability to back my heavy trailer up my steep driveway in 4lo with center diff unlock is awesome. It takes a lot stress off the transmission in 4lo. Most crossover and even trucks that have 4auto uses clutches instead of a true center diff between the front and rear axles. The problem with clutches is wear and heat. I.e., clutches wears out over time and slipping clutches generate heat. This new Sequoia is like the rest of Toyota's trucks now (Tundra and Tacoma), where it does not have a center diff at all. There is no differentiation of speed between the front and rear axle so it can bind up on dry pavement if making turns. Basically the front and rear axles are locked together like a spool. There's pros and cons to the different types of 4wd systems. The pros of this part time system that Toyota uses for the new Sequoia and their pickups is that it is more robust and less parts to wear out and break. Cons are that it can't be used on dry pavement. The front and rear axles needs to be able to slip so that the driveline doesn't bind up.

I love this feature on my Lexus GX as well. I use it all the time to move my trailer around. I am really disappointed to see it’s no longer in the Sequoia.

It would be a huge selling point for me but now the 4Auto tcase in an Expedition is more enticing. And that’s not saying much.

skrypj

I guess they don't offer it anymore. Only the eLSD.
View attachment 704718

The eLSD can lock though. It’s just not a true mechanical locker. It’s a clutched diff that can torque vector to either wheel on the fly or two both simultaneously.

That combined with the trail turn braking feature the Timberline has is probably very effective. Brake the inside wheel and torque vector power to the outside wheel in a turn

plumber mike

Adventurer
What do you think is wrong with it? It’s big enough to fit an adult under 6’, which seems plenty big enough.
It’s not easily removed which really makes no sense. It absolutely limits the versatility of the vehicle.
My old GMT400 suburban 3rd row can fold as flat. But it can also be completely removed when needed. It’s heavy and terrible to move around.....but at least I can.
My old GMT900 suburban is even better. The lump of seat is split in half. It cuts the weight and doubles my options for usability of that space.
We went to look at the new suburban back in 2015 and it was a dealbreaker then. The idea of spending additional money for going backwards with regards to overall versatility was a deal breaker then.
Both of our old burbs are getting kind of tired. It would be nice to find a replacement that could do as much or more. Something as silly as this backseat means this new Sequoia is not it.

moonshiner

Observer
The eLSD can lock though. It’s just not a true mechanical locker. It’s a clutched diff that can torque vector to either wheel on the fly or two both simultaneously.

That combined with the trail turn braking feature the Timberline has is probably very effective. Brake the inside wheel and torque vector power to the outside wheel in a turn

Ah...I see how it works now. Not a true mechanical locker but electronically controlled clutches. Kind of like Honda's VTM-4. Those work fine until they overheat from slipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz