Who's lining up to buy a 2023 Sequoia and NOT a 2022 Tundra?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
All new Sequoia was So badly needed!!!! However the dealers will all be bending buyers over the Finance office desk… So unless your either a lottery jack pot winner or have no financial wits lots of people won’t be buying them due to dealer price gouging.
Tough to say regarding price gouging. I would have thought the same about the new 2022 Tundra but when I was looking I had a couple dealers that were willing to deal on inbound units.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Interesting, in Canada it's a limited slip on the FX4 and not a locker that's available.

Current gen Sequoia TRD is over 80k CAD locally.
New gen Tundra SR TRD Off-road can be had mid 50s CAD locally.
The old Sequoia is the slowest selling vehicle Toyota has. Our local dealers won’t even stock them because they can’t sell them.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The modes define make a difference, but it depends on the manufacturer. My Land Rover modes really change everything, but on my wife's VW they're pretty useless.
The system logic in all theses new vehicles can easily track variables and self select the needed power application needed.
But customers will always pay more for perceived “more stuff” over less stuff. Great example is the current freak out by Toyota shoppers when they see now AWD badge or button in the new Tundra’s. Even the old first gen Sequoia and 2nd gen Sequoias were badged awd but only had 4x4 hi and low lol. My owners manual even stated when in AWD4hi you had speed limitations lol.

I predict that Toyota gets a zillion complaints from sales staff and customers. Then Toyota slaps a AWD badge on the tailgate and tacks awd/4hi label on the switch gear or dash display. But zero changes are needed for the actual system.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 2021 it folds flat. Best of both worlds. Those that need seating get it, those dont need it can fold it flat and it is always there if they need it.
I found it interesting Ford started offering the 3rd row as a option not standard in 2021. I suspect trying to cut cost/ sticker price and on their side reduction in parts sourcing challenges.
Vs in 2020 and earlier you could only get 3rd row expeditions.

however!! The way the bumper line and rear hatch is built I don’t think your getting a lower rear floor without a false raised floor or deep well forward of the hatch opening.
Toyota might be avoiding that so we get a bigger hatch opening ?. Thats my biggest complaint with all these new fold in floor 3rd row vehicles today. They raised the rear hatch height to mask the raised floor for the hidden seats which chopped 6-8 inches of opening height off the rear hatch opening size. Also raised the lift over height on the rear hatch / floors.

XJLI

Adventurer
I found it interesting Ford started offering the 3rd row as a option not standard in 2021. I suspect trying to cut cost/ sticker price and on their side reduction in parts sourcing challenges.
Vs in 2020 and earlier you could only get 3rd row expeditions.

however!! The way the bumper line and rear hatch is built I don’t think your getting a lower rear floor without a false raised floor or deep well forward of the hatch opening.
Toyota might be avoiding that so we get a bigger hatch opening ?. Thats my biggest complaint with all these new fold in floor 3rd row vehicles today. They raised the rear hatch height to mask the raised floor for the hidden seats which chopped 6-8 inches of opening height off the rear hatch opening size. Also raised the lift over height on the rear hatch / floors.

Packaging is something a lot of brands are cheaping out on.

Land-Rover-LR4-2016-max-cargo.jpg

everything folds flat, spare still tucked underneath. split tailgate and a huge opening, its like a minivan in there.

things can be done, they just get expensive. the same way the LC300 can fold flat with the tire underneath, it costs more to engineer that.

RoyJ

Adventurer
ALL trucks with fold-flat 3rd rows use IRS of some sort; it's impossible to get a true fold-flat with a live axle that has to go up and down. Faux raised floors don't count (e.g. LC300, prev gen GM SUVs).

For me, the first thing I'd do is rip out the 3rd row entirely, built a platform to match the 2nd row, or remove the 2nd row as well. Depends on how dedicated of an overland the said truck is.

I don't like fold-flat 3rd rows as it's just dead weight. Every usage case is different, I realize 99% of Sequoia / Expedition / Tahoe buys prefers them in the vehicle.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Toyota just is removing the AWD ie 3rd choice given 4hi is the same thing in these modern systems.
Lots of people fell for the marketing BS started by land rover with terrain modes. Oh yeah I have 6 terrain mods vs your 4 modes BS.

So 4Hi is essentially 4-Auto on the newer Toyotas?

Wonder how you get a truly locked 4Hi - guessing there's a center diff lock button?

moonshiner

Observer
Not a friction G80
Its an electric push button locker. In these big SUVs the number one reason they get stuck is due to no rear locker. Got my Sequoia stuck several times all due to that. G80 is pretty good when you got nuthin and are stuck while a clapped out rust bucket Suburban goes right by you?
I thought it was only a limited slip. I don't see it on Ford's website in the US.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I thought it was only a limited slip. I don't see it on Ford's website in the US.
Nope the 3.73 HD rear end equipped Expeditions have an E locker same setup seen on the HD pickups. Most definitely an option I have it and have used it in my Expedition. But yeah Ford has a zillion trims of the Expedition now that only have the 4hi 4x4 or A4 lacking the 2 spd transfer case and have the 3.31 soccer mom commuter van rear end thats limited slip only.

ricoisme26

For me, the first thing I'd do is rip out the 3rd row entirely, built a platform to match the 2nd row, or remove the 2nd row as well. Depends on how dedicated of an overland the said truck is.

What is the difference between tearing out the third row to build a platform level to the second row and just folding the third row that is already level with the second row? Only reason I could see is to build storage into the platform that isn't there with the seats folded down.

1643463272025.png

I understand people that don't need the seating of a third row, likely most people. I think this is marketed for people that do need the flexability of that extra seating. Bigger families or families that transport other kids/relatives/sports teams etc.

If you want an SUV without a third row toyota makes a 4runner that's still a true body on frame SUV unlike most other manufacturers. 4runner is probably better in all off road conditions due to its size.

If you like driving a big SUV but don't need the seating you have to make compromises. Manufacturers can't market vehicles to individual wants/needs. The biggest need for large SUV is more seating capacity and that's where Toyota aims the Sequoia.

highwest

What is the difference between tearing out the third row to build a platform level to the second row and just folding the third row that is already level with the second row? Only reason I could see is to build storage into the platform that isn't there with the seats folded down.

View attachment 704457

I understand people that don't need the seating of a third row, likely most people. I think this is marketed for people that do need the flexability of that extra seating. Bigger families or families that transport other kids/relatives/sports teams etc.

If you want an SUV without a third row toyota makes a 4runner that's still a true body on frame SUV unlike most other manufacturers. 4runner is probably better in all off road conditions due to its size.

If you like driving a big SUV but don't need the seating you have to make compromises. Manufacturers can't market vehicles to individual wants/needs. The biggest need for large SUV is more seating capacity and that's where Toyota aims the Sequoia.
I understand why Toyota put the third row in, but it’s not necessary for all buyers that may be interested in the Sequoia. For me, I’ll take the second row captains chairs and a third row delete. I’d love to have the storage volume back from that third row, rip ‘em out! ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior