Who Still uses cast iron while traveling?

ITTOG

Anyone try a cast iron pan with a ceramic coating? Curious how well it did.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
They do great at home.
Not sure how they would do in a campfire ?
I would think maybe they wouldn't recommend it because of the vast differences in temperature that a campfire can be/get to, but I am just speculating here. I am also sure that it has/can be done as long as you pay close attention to your fire & your food. Others who are more edumicated on the subject will maybe chime in on this question ?

Edit: just used the 17" skillet to cook up 18 Italian sausages all at the same time. Came out awesome. We kept some out and vacuum sealed the rest .

Last edited:

Fishenough

Creeper
They do great at home.
Not sure how they would do in a campfire ?
I would think maybe they wouldn't recommend it because of the vast differences in temperature that a campfire can be/get to, but I am just speculating here. I am also sure that it has/can be done as long as you pay close attention to your fire & your food. Others who are more edumicated on the subject will maybe chime in on this question ?

Edit: just used the 17" skillet to cook up 18 Italian sausages all at the same time. Came out awesome. We kept some out and vacuum sealed the rest .

Experience combined with a little hope, and anticipation, that we get the flame just right results in meals near perfect every time. Almost. We won't talk about the burn't sin buns of 2020; I was practised with briquettes but brought hardwood charcoal that trip.

Cheese biscuits in the Dutch oven last month were perfect.

We need more recipes on this forum. Other picture is a simple recipe I have made since Uni days; mini croissants filled with apple pie filling fried crispy in butter

20230218_165855.jpg20220720_185258.jpg

Paijanne

?‍♀️ I have a 9" flat skillet that I bring and use. I've tried other pans, but feel like they warp too much on the heat

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
?‍♀️ I have a 9" flat skillet that I bring and use. I've tried other pans, but feel like they warp too much on the heat
Very interesting...
I've never heard of a quality cast iron skillet/pan warping in the fire.

After over 30 years of cooking over campfires, I've never had a skillet, flat plate, or dutch oven warp.

Cheers

yabodie

I mainly cook with cast iron. Breakfasts require a skillet and bacon, then cook the tater tots in the bacon grease, then crack some eggs in the skillet to finish up. Amazing bacon with crispy tots and perfect sunny side up eggs. That keeps me full till dinner. Almost. Otherwise the legless Dutch oven is used frequently for baking bread, cooking chili, etc. Love my cast iron!

ABBB

We cook exclusively in cast iron pans and on a cast iron griddle when camping. We pull a small trailer and have a two burner propane stove so the weight isn’t an issue. Ours are babied so they clean up easily too. No one in our household is iron deficient, that’s for sure!

bc7a5103e969c597adbd0499ddd0a429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cast iron is very inefficient as a heat conductor which is its beauty. It takes quite a lot of fuel to heat, once hot it will retain heat for quite a while. It does very well on open fires and has been used on them for many decades. All pans have their place, aluminum, stainless, carbon steel, copper, all these came after cast iron. I think many use cast iron is a sentimental tool camping as much a functional tool. I wonder how many use it at home.

I leave my cast iron at home, I don't like the added weight and extra care it takes. I cook on the road like I cook at home. I will make any of the mother sauces for meals without thinking twice. My cooking pots are stainless with thick aluminum bottoms. I like the way they nest and cook, clean over all. YMMV

Paijanne

Very interesting...
I've never heard of a quality cast iron skillet/pan warping in the fire.

After over 30 years of cooking over campfires, I've never had a skillet, flat plate, or dutch oven warp.

Cheers

Sorry, I meant non-cast iron pans. As in, that's why I still lug my CI skillet around!

craig333

Expedition Leader
I like cast iron and carried a skillet for years until I realized I never used it. I don' t cook over an open fire (prefer not to have a campfire unless its a group) so the cheap stackable cookware works well enough, weighs less and takes up less space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke