Whiteduck Tents

Man

That 10'X14' Prota tent is a lot like my Kodiak Canvas VX tent. Which in-turn looks a lot like a Springbar rip-off. The mesh/screen all around is awesome in hot weather and for views. But it doesn't last like the canvas does. One whole side of the tent had its mesh ripped in the wind so I removed it. Now there is a lot of fresh air circulation when unzipping the side, lol. The other side mesh is torn now and it will be removed next.

NHMachinist

That 10'X14' Prota tent is a lot like my Kodiak Canvas VX tent. Which in-turn looks a lot like a Springbar rip-off. The mesh/screen all around is awesome in hot weather and for views. But it doesn't last like the canvas does. One whole side of the tent had its mesh ripped in the wind so I removed it. Now there is a lot of fresh air circulation when unzipping the side, lol. The other side mesh is torn now and it will be removed next.
Could you give me some details? How old is the tent how, how much was it used, how high was the wind ect I am curious because I have been looking at the kodiak tent.
Thanks Jon

Man

It was about 1.5 years old when it happened. I'll either skip camping or drop the tent to the ground when gusts are predicted to be 40 MPH or greater to either 10' side. The 14' sides are not as strong when the wind is blowing against it. I'm not sure how much wind it took to tear at the bottom seam of the mesh, but I was surprised and disappointed to see it the first time. There aren't many tents around that are sturdy, I can stand up in, are somewhat compact, have a floor and have good ventilation so I still think it was worth the $700 because there wasn't much competition. That and I was able to walk into Sportsmans and buy it off the shelf. But the tent is oversold just like many other products. FWIW, my avitar pic is of the tent after 7" of snow fell. It didn't have any issues with it (other than expected frozen zippers).

On a different occasion about 4 weeks after I bought it, the spring bar canvas loop ripped and came down on me while inside. That sucked, but they warrantied it and shipped the replacement tent first and I shipped them the old one on their dime.

NHMachinist

It was about 1.5 years old when it happened. I'll either skip camping or drop the tent to the ground when gusts are predicted to be 40 MPH or greater to either 10' side. The 14' sides are not as strong when the wind is blowing against it. I'm not sure how much wind it took to tear at the bottom seam of the mesh, but I was surprised and disappointed to see it the first time. There aren't many tents around that are sturdy, I can stand up in, are somewhat compact, have a floor and have good ventilation so I still think it was worth the $700 because there wasn't much competition. That and I was able to walk into Sportsmans and buy it off the shelf. But the tent is oversold just like many other products. FWIW, my avitar pic is of the tent after 7" of snow fell. It didn't have any issues with it (other than expected frozen zippers).

On a different occasion about 4 weeks after I bought it, the spring bar canvas loop ripped and came down on me while inside. That sucked, but they warrantied it and shipped the replacement tent first and I shipped them the old one on their dime.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good that they stand behind their products.
Jon

Man

Thanks for the feedback. It's good that they stand behind their products.
Jon
Yes, they do and they get plenty of praise and worship for it.
In regards to your question a while ago about the wind, I determined the wind was probably about 15 - 20 MPH when the screen must have ripped for the first time. The situation was during the summer heat and the 10' side canvas was all the way down to expose just the mesh and that side was against the wind. Keeping the canvas zipped up would prevent that so the mesh has the canvas as backing to hold against the wind. I think the mesh degrades over time. I did treat it with 3M sun protection, but it is just too weak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online