Which tranny and tcase with a 6BT Cummings ?

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I will be picking up a 6bt in a week or so that was given to me. Its just the engine no tranny or tcase. I would prefer to run an automatic only because the constant clutch use aggravates my bad back. So What would be the best auto trans and t case for an 6bt Cummings in a FSJ Jeep? I'm embarrassed to say I know nothing about the diesel world.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Depends on the rest of the running grear under your Jeep. The easiest would be to get a stock Dodge trans and transfercase but Dodge switched from RH front axle drop 89-93 to LH 94-up.

Patman

Explorer
Naturally depends on what you're planning to do. Assuming the 6 came from a dodge, a dodge trans would be cheapest in the short term.

Pure beef its hard to beat a built th400 (or a 4L80 if you want O.D.) (thanks for the correction xj_mike) with a 205 (which is a straight bolt on), or 203/205 if you need to crawl. Atlas if you can afford it.

Endless options with the proper factory cummins bell housing adapter. Its just money.

Generally the dodge autos are easily killed behind the cummins compared t the gm units

Last edited:

Rblprd

What is a 6BT Cummings? I know the 6BT Cummins thou.
How much power are you going to build the motor for?
Manual or auto?
Last but not least, budget, how much can or will you spend?

ExpoMike

There are a number of choices BUT make sure you get one that is setup for a diesel, NOT a gas engine. The goveners and pumps can be different for diesel versus gas and can cause you a lot of problems. Diesel RPM's are much lower (stock Ram Cummins redlines at 3,000 RPM's). If you use a gas version, at a mimimum the shift points will be all wrong and worst you burn it up because the pump doesn't give enough pressure for the lower RPM range.

Easiest would be getting a trans/t-case from a diesel Ram truck, that is if the t-case drop will work for you.

BTW, a GM Turbo 400 is fairly bullet proof but if you want an GM overdrive, the 4L80E is what you want. It's a TH400 with OD. The 4L60 ones are like a TH350 with OD. Not as strong.

bftank

Explorer
for auto a dodge diesel 47rh 1994-94 little electronics, easily built and easy to maintain. tcase atlas or if drivers use the dodge 241

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
for auto a dodge diesel 47rh 1994-94 little electronics, easily built and easy to maintain. tcase atlas or if drivers use the dodge 241

X2. This would probably be the cheapest (for a diesel anyway) way to go unless you happen to have some more parts given to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior