Which propane camping fire

Robert Bills

Explorer
For accessories I would prefer fire glass over ceramic logs, also the option of a longer hose between propane tank and the Quikfire

Currently I am using lava rocks, which serve the purpose and are cheap, lightweight, and easily replaceable when they start to look bad. For transport, I dump the rocks into a cordura bag that fits inside the fire pan so the rocks don't get soot on everything, then dump the rocks back into the pan when its time for a fire.

I had an extension hose made up at my local propane supply so that I can leave my propane tank in its mount on my vehicle and have a fire a reasonable distance away.

I am currently looking for the appropriately sized ammo can to transport my Quikfire, lava rocks, extension propane hose I had made up, etc. My thought is that the ammo can will protect against damage, hold the Quikfire and all parts and accessories, and can be laid on its side and used as a "stand" to move the Quikfire farther from the ground.

perkj

Explorer
I am currently looking for the appropriately sized ammo can to transport my Quikfire, lava rocks, extension propane hose I had made up, etc. My thought is that the ammo can will protect against damage, hold the Quikfire and all parts and accessories, and can be laid on its side and used as a "stand" to move the Quikfire farther from the ground.

Let us know if you find one to fit that Quikfire as I think this is a great idea

cactusjk

Explorer
Mike mentioned that it gets real dirty. Anyone else use fire glass in their Quikfire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Thanks. I was considering fire glass, but had some concerns about soot. I bought some lava rock as an inexpensive temporary measure, but it may turn out to be what I continue to use.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
my parents use fire glass in their propane fire pit in the backyard.... granted its a permanent fixture but the glass looks brand new and its been used quite often over the last three years. They have it in this oversized vase looking thing with a flame coming out around the perimeter

I would think that since the glass would have to be poured back into the bag every time its transported, it shouldn't be too difficult to hose them down every once in a while?

similar to this...

fireglass.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
Mike did recommend lava rock. I do like the look of glass. Might need to try some out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
I would think lava rock since its quite light compared to glass :)
and if it got kicked over way easier to pick back up :)

my little red can gets soot big time on the logs ?
also if you roast marshmallows ABOVE the flame yuck !!! have to do it to the side not so good so we often do them over our stove durring burn bans

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
For accessories I would prefer fire glass over ceramic logs, also the option of a longer hose between propane tank and the Quikfire

Currently I am using lava rocks, which serve the purpose and are cheap, lightweight, and easily replaceable when they start to look bad. For transport, I dump the rocks into a cordura bag that fits inside the fire pan so the rocks don't get soot on everything, then dump the rocks back into the pan when its time for a fire.

I had an extension hose made up at my local propane supply so that I can leave my propane tank in its mount on my vehicle and have a fire a reasonable distance away.

If you don't find one that fits, you can have one built that will fit. See my post with a solution here.http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154999-Campfire-in-a-Box?highlight=Campfire+box

Robert Bills

Explorer
I think that either a 20mm or 30mm ammo can would work. The closest military surplus store is 175 miles from me, so I'll have to put ammo cans on my list for the next shopping trip to the "big city" and test fit which one works best. I suspect it will be the 20mm can.

20mm - 8 3/8" w x 18 1/2" L x 14 1/2" h

30 mm - 9 1/2" w x 18 1/2" L x 14 1/2" h

192559_ts.jpg

davis31052

Adventurer
If you are looking for an inexpensive propane fire pit check your local target stores. I found an 18" diameter priced for $29.99 here. Box was sealed so it wasn't a return and I had to get the store manager to do a price adjustment since it was ringing up as full price of $89.00. Tag on shelf showed $29.99.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior