Where to begin

jdward300

Hey guys i'm new to all this. I currently own a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali and i've just recently paid it off. Now thats all taken care of I want to start working on it and turning it into an overland project I've always loved the concept of overlanding and i'm just trying to see where someone would start, and what the first changes they would make would be.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
welcome -

Do you have a solid idea of what your needs are? The car is a blank-slate right now. When you list your needs it can build a list of what to do.

For instance:

Need: I need to GET there.
How: Tires, Lift, Gas, Maintenance, Maps, Communication

Need: I need to SLEEP there.
How: Bedding, Tent, Trailer,

Need: I need to EAT there.
How: Fridge, cooler, toilet capability, medical supplies

Need: I need to GET HOME from there.
How: Recovery gear, communication, Maps, Gas, Spare tires, First aid

etc and so-on and so-forth :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
-Determine what axle it has.
-Swap in a 1 ton axle with a locker, if needed. (royally expensive online, reasonably cheap at any custom axle shop)
-mud tires. Or wheels and mud tires.
-hi lift with winch kit, a bucket of chain, and a winch rope
-mud rated tire chains, and/or a tire claw set
-tent, pad, bags.

Done, easy.

jdward300

welcome -

Do you have a solid idea of what your needs are? The car is a blank-slate right now. When you list your needs it can build a list of what to do.

For instance:

Need: I need to GET there.
How: Tires, Lift, Gas, Maintenance, Maps, Communication

Need: I need to SLEEP there.
How: Bedding, Tent, Trailer,

Need: I need to EAT there.
How: Fridge, cooler, toilet capability, medical supplies

Need: I need to GET HOME from there.
How: Recovery gear, communication, Maps, Gas, Spare tires, First aid

etc and so-on and so-forth :)

This helped put things more into perspective. Plan on using it for more camping/hunting purposes, since i already have the gear i guess a luggage rack first and then work towards suspension/tires/etc. just wanting to make sure i try to keep a fluid project where i keep things compatible also. Thanks.

rayra

Expedition Leader
car camping or ground tent?
I'd work on making the vehicle a helpful accessory IN camp. Added power, power ports / inversion, camp lights / area / 'scene' lights. Self-rescue gear, sucks getting stuck somewhere far off the beaten path and having to walk out. Speakign of which, provisions for 'walking out', something akin to a bugout bag if you dont already have one, or if you have a hunting pack, add some items that would help you get rescued. 2m handheld, beefed up first aid kit with trauma kit / stuff to stop bleeding and splint.

A platform / storage drawers aren't too difficult ot implement and if you have a locking tailgate, could be made pretty secure. Storage subforum has a lot fo really interesting builds, features and techniques in it. I took about 2yrs - started about the same time I started my search for my used Suburban - gathering design ideas and figuring things out for my own skill set and budget limitations, before I got around to building my setup. Something similar could readily be made for a pickup bed and be made sufficiently waterproof - mostly in making a water-shedding design. Topped with something like rubber horse stall mat, which is very thick, durable and relatively inexpensive. No matter what abuse you throw at it, it won't be worse than a shod / bored horse can do.
I was able to build my drawers to be ~54" long, they'll fit and secure any rifle I've got. One drawer is full of all the roadside and offroad emergency stuff I've accumulated over decades of offroading abuse. The other drawer has the aforementioned pack and a few other things, with room left over for trip-specific stuff.
link to links are in my build link, linked below.

A smaller bed toolbox, one that doesn't rise above the bed edge could serve as a more secure locker or host extra power options. And makes a good place to attach fuel and water jugs.

jdward300

car camping or ground tent?
I'd work on making the vehicle a helpful accessory IN camp. Added power, power ports / inversion, camp lights / area / 'scene' lights. Self-rescue gear, sucks getting stuck somewhere far off the beaten path and having to walk out. Speakign of which, provisions for 'walking out', something akin to a bugout bag if you dont already have one, or if you have a hunting pack, add some items that would help you get rescued. 2m handheld, beefed up first aid kit with trauma kit / stuff to stop bleeding and splint.

A platform / storage drawers aren't too difficult ot implement and if you have a locking tailgate, could be made pretty secure. Storage subforum has a lot fo really interesting builds, features and techniques in it. I took about 2yrs - started about the same time I started my search for my used Suburban - gathering design ideas and figuring things out for my own skill set and budget limitations, before I got around to building my setup. Something similar could readily be made for a pickup bed and be made sufficiently waterproof - mostly in making a water-shedding design. Topped with something like rubber horse stall mat, which is very thick, durable and relatively inexpensive. No matter what abuse you throw at it, it won't be worse than a shod / bored horse can do.
I was able to build my drawers to be ~54" long, they'll fit and secure any rifle I've got. One drawer is full of all the roadside and offroad emergency stuff I've accumulated over decades of offroading abuse. The other drawer has the aforementioned pack and a few other things, with room left over for trip-specific stuff.
link to links are in my build link, linked below.

A smaller bed toolbox, one that doesn't rise above the bed edge could serve as a more secure locker or host extra power options. And makes a good place to attach fuel and water jugs.

ground tent right now. great idea using it as an accessory. as far as personal gear goes i got all the accoutrements, because of my right-wing "paranoia", my tailgate does lock so thats a great idea for in-bed storage, my medkit is pretty well established. I'm all too familiar with horse mat's and durability definitely stealing that idea. thank for the ideas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior