Where can I shoot?

jadmt

ignore button user
As a former Chemical Munitions Instructor this makes me smile.......can't say I ever got used to it but, could always anticipate it and therefore could work through it, so in the end people thought you did gargle with it! LOL!

I recently found my old ICT/LCT deployment card so you knew how much to send.....We didn't have bears in the mid-west so I'm not sure of the ICT/LCT formula for a brown bear?
View attachment 641096View attachment 641097
We had to clear our masks in SWAT and it was brutal, always fun seeing new guys earn swat names like Bugger and Goober and slim based on what came out of their noses. Seen some pretty tough guys crying like babies.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We had to clear our masks in SWAT and it was brutal, always fun seeing new guys earn swat names like Bugger and Goober and slim based on what came out of their noses. Seen some pretty tough guys crying like babies.

Yep....like a scene out of "Alien" when your doing your mile run in a mask and the guy next to throws up in his mask.....Good-times.

Photobug

Strike while the iron is hot and grab a cheap rimfire kyl target for that .22

I got one for "my" .22 and now I don't own a .22...my wife does. :LOL: But now she is up to go shooting anytime I mention it :LOL:

View attachment 641092

I live 3 miles from the gun range and we have a membership, they have a ton of metal plinky options as well as 25 to 300 meter options. I would guess I would need to drive an hour to find a place to shoot otherwise.

The biggest obstacle is ammo. I am down to 400 rounds of .22 and have not seen any in store locally. The 9mm I bought online cost close to $1 a round, I wish I bought more it looks like it is even more now.

I have two pellet pistols coming, as that is the only ammo I feel might be available soon.

VanWaLife

I came across this cautionary tale:
Guy almost got a cop shot by leaving an unsecured gun in his car. Hey I like guns as much as the next guy, but I also think we should have laws about safe storage of firearms.

Matt.H

Adventurer
Guy almost got a cop shot by leaving an unsecured gun in his car.

No. He didn't. The truck was broken in to, thus secured.

If someone breaks into my house and steals a steak knife, my garage for an axe or hits someone with my stolen car; it wasn't my fault. The next step in this slippery slope is blaming the officer for not understanding the problems and hardships the accused was having.

Matt

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I live 3 miles from the gun range and we have a membership, they have a ton of metal plinky options as well as 25 to 300 meter options. I would guess I would need to drive an hour to find a place to shoot otherwise.

Why I live where I do. Ground squirrels are out now, busy digging their burrows and leaving big mounds of dirt that mess up my mower. When I see one I roll up the kitchen window/bedroom window, whichever, stick the barrel of the rifle out the window, and let drive. No neighbors anywhere near to worry about!

jadmt

ignore button user

If someone breaks into my house and steals a steak knife, my garage for an axe or hits someone with my stolen car; it wasn't my fault. The next step in this slippery slope is blaming the officer for not understanding the problems and hardships the accused was having.

Matt
I bet many prosecutors would disagree with the vehicle vs house. I think there are actually cases out there altho I am not going to take the time to look where an unsecured gun was stolen from a house and used in a crime and the home owner faced ramifications of some sort.
actually this took less than 30 seconds. I know not Oregon but Oregon is about as liberal as Cali.
codes_displaySection.xhtml

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I bet many prosecutors would disagree with the vehicle vs house. I think there are actually cases out there altho I am not going to take the time to look where an unsecured gun was stolen from a house and used in a crime and the home owner faced ramifications of some sort.
actually this took less than 30 seconds. I know not Oregon but Oregon is about as liberal as Cali.

Yeah well, the Big O legisladores have been floating the idea for the past coupla years to criminalize unsecured gun storage in your home*, so maybe, Oregon/California...what’s really the dif these days anymore?

(* these proposals have included being applicable to cases even when you are present in your own home?)

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
No.... The truck was broken in to, thus secured.
Matt

The article doesn’t make it very clear as to whether the vehicle was locked or not. But in any event, someone leaving a firearm in an unlocked unattended vehicle in a public place, is a complete idiot.

Last edited:

Matt.H

Adventurer

In some states guns have to be locked in a container while in a house. Some states require a only a trigger lock for storage. Doesn't change my mind that the truck owner 'almost got the cop shot'.

Photobug

I know it is just a small detail, but Vancouver is in Washington, right across the border from Oregon. Having lived there, it is unique in terms many people live in one and work in the other like the perp. I have often thought it would be a nice place to return to, however CCP between states might be problematic.

I am a much different person as far as gun ownership than I was when I originally asked this question, having spent a lot of time devoted to practicing and studying. I have also doubled my collection. Let's hope ammo becomes more available and my dry firing practice pays off next time I visit the range. I was very happy with my accuracy with a rifle, but my 9mm skills on my first day could best be described as conserving paper.

DieselRanger

I came across this cautionary tale:
Guy almost got a cop shot by leaving an unsecured gun in his car. Hey I like guns as much as the next guy, but I also think we should have laws about safe storage of firearms.
I think the correct interpretation of this event is, a mentally ill and drug addicted criminal almost got himself killed by a cop for pointing a stolen firearm at a police officer who was in the process of responding to an earlier attempted violent crime, and who was now in the process of stopping a second crime in progress. I think that police officer had exceptional self control, and the criminal was clearly not willing to die that day. If that had been Chicago when I was growing up, he would have died of several .357 inch hemorrhages and no one would have batted an eye.

Let's not forget the real crimes here were the ones the perp committed. Lets make sure we don't vote for people who will make it a crime to have your legally obtained gun stolen from you.

This.

So many people ignore the fact that 1. Personal PROPERTY was BROKEN into. 2. Someone was DESTROYING property. 3. Property was STOLEN.

It's like saying a bank robber, while robbing a bank, shot the guard in self defense because the guard pulled a gun/taser on the robber.

Pruedence would dictate that you remove temptation from thieves, like not leaving purses/wallets out in the open, camera gear, guns, etc., while you are away from your vehicle.

Note - to be clear and unambiguous - this is in reference to a criminal breaking into personal property. This is not the same scenario as the mother who throws her revolver under her seat and the child finds it and shoots himself/herself or someone else by accident.

I know it is just a small detail, but Vancouver is in Washington, right across the border from Oregon. Having lived there, it is unique in terms many people live in one and work in the other like the perp. I have often thought it would be a nice place to return to, however CCP between states might be problematic.

I am a much different person as far as gun ownership than I was when I originally asked this question, having spent a lot of time devoted to practicing and studying. I have also doubled my collection. Let's hope ammo becomes more available and my dry firing practice pays off next time I visit the range. I was very happy with my accuracy with a rifle, but my 9mm skills on my first day could best be described as conserving paper.

There are a few Oregon Sheriffs who will issue Oregon permits to WA residents. Oregon also is a patchwork of laws that make travelling with a firearm difficult to stay 100% legal. For instance (last time I checked the law), you can open "carry" in your vehicle, but in Portland city limits, you cannot carry a loaded firearm in public without a permit. And some mental gymnastics by the courts ruled that your private vehicle, while on a public roadway, is actually public, so that voids the state law. Oregon doesn't have a preemption law.

Speaking of dry fire practice, I recently picked up a LaserHit system. I like it. Helps practice drawing and getting that ever-critical first shot off. Going off the target's scale, I'm 99% center mass from 7-10yds. I don't have a shot timer, but I'd say I'm likely under 2 seconds. Slow, but consistent. Speed will come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles