What does "Light Weight" mean?/

downhill

Adventurer
I know for me, I'm mad at how backwards the current crop of mainstream RV manufactures design and build products.
Solid wood doors, thick heavy construction for the cabinets, and structure along with thick tables and countertops,
Then they save a tiny bit of weight by using plastic sinks and faucets.

Heck even beds are more heavy then they need to be.

I was looking at our range hood the other day and how much extra material it has just for the sake of filling the opening.

There to me looks to be zero thought giving to making anything as light and durable as it could be.

All design and engineering choices are made solely based on ease of manufacturing and cost.

I like a tiny bit of comfort in the woods, but like others here I don't need a living room on wheels,

If the truck camper market wasn't so bad, I'd be tempted to try and build my own. but I suspect that it's one of those
The quickest way to make a million in the Truck Camper market is to start out building them with 2 million dollars.

The market place is ripe for someone to come in and really shake it up, redesigning a truck camper top to bottom
They would do great and sell tens of them.

Well said. Some even use particle board, which is the lowest strength to weight known to man! I've never seen composite cabinets, or even something simple like a table top.

UHAULER

Explorer
The price of campers has skyrocketed. In many cases the cost of the camper is more than the truck. I think people are mostly good with paying a fair price, but at $40,000, ......do you buy a camper or build a big new workshop?? When I was searching for a possible camper, I couldn't find anything at any price that suited my needs. The problem really, is that there needs to be a sea change in the way campers are perceived and built. In the boat and plane world for instance, there is a focus on performance. In the camper world it seems to be a focus on features and appointments. There are some great options out there for those who are fine with maxing out their GVW for space and comfort. Nothing wrong with that at all. The guys like me who want a truly light performance shell, it's pretty much a wastelend.

There are more on the market now. Cave Campers http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/165388-New-Manufacturer-Cave-Campers-750-lbs-lt-10k-high-quality on the cheaper end and Bahn Campers that I posted above on the higher end, and more on this site. I just think the market is so small there has to be big profits per camper or it's not worth building.

downhill

Adventurer
The Bahn camper shell weighs 700lb and it sounds like they add framing and insulation on top of that. http://www.bahncamperworks.com/products/shells
Maybe they are doing a thin sandwich with structural PVC or PU foam, then adding a layer of XPS inside for better insulation. At any rate it isn't that light.

I just added up a material list for mine and it comes to 600lb for the shell (excluding windows, hinges, latches, etc) and it mounts directly to the frame, so I lose the weight of the truck bed too. You could certainly argue that the Bahn is heavier duty, but I've built a camper like this before and it was durable enough for me and I had no issues with it.

Check out Goober's thread. He built a nice little camper using stuff from home depot that came in at 522 pounds. He's already ahead of the industry. Like you, I favor chassis mount so you don't have the added weight of a flatbed or box bed. I want a #350 camper, and I'm quite sure it can be done.

rruff

Explorer
A really nice, super strong short bed camper shell can be built under 350 pounds using modern materials.... I don't need to recreate my living room in the outback. I need a dry place to sleep and prepare a meal in bad weather. I need enough insulation to make the camper heat-able in winter conditions. Good basic shelter. Most importantly, I need it to not be more of a burden than it's worth. I need something that doesn't limit my travels, but enhances them.

Perception must be that the market is too limited to be worth it. That's why I have to build my own. Either that or pay someone to do it.

What are the actual dimensions you are after? Wide as the truck bed, tall enough to sit in a chair, cabover storage, etc?

downhill

Adventurer
Perception must be that the market is too limited to be worth it. That's why I have to build my own. Either that or pay someone to do it.

What are the actual dimensions you are after? Wide as the truck bed, tall enough to sit in a chair, cabover storage, etc?

Yes, that must be the perception,..hoping to give us some voice here I guess. I've been playing with some designs that are 60" wide, 72" tall and cab over. Like you, I will build my own. Actually, wood can be very good if used properly, again look to the boat building world. The problem is that it can be pretty labor intensive to build that way.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
And that's where the ball normally drops.

I build using what most would consider boat building techniques.

It is light, but labor intensive. So it isnt cheap. Still, nowhere near 40k for en empty shell. :Wow1:

downhill

Adventurer
And that's where the ball normally drops.

I build using what most would consider boat building techniques.

It is light, but labor intensive. So it isnt cheap. Still, nowhere near 40k for en empty shell. :Wow1:

All of you guys who build these campers put a ton of work into them! It's not a get rich quick thing at all. I'm sure the profits are not what people think either, well unless you are charging 40K LOL.

UHAULER

Explorer
These threads pop up every so often, people want a lightweight , simple camper for cheap. There are quite a few threads on builders who are capable.
Like I said earlier, most guys are DIY'ers who have time and not deep pockets. What would you expect to pay for a quality, lightweight 400# slide in camper shell ? Cave Campers has one for 10k, is that too much ?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You also need to know what side of the line you are falling on with regards to "custom"

A lot of MFGs clam to be custom MFGs, but all they allow are options within a pre-designed base model.

Very few actual custom builders.

downhill

Adventurer
These threads pop up every so often, people want a lightweight , simple camper for cheap. There are quite a few threads on builders who are capable.
Like I said earlier, most guys are DIY'ers who have time and not deep pockets. What would you expect to pay for a quality, lightweight 400# slide in camper shell ? Cave Campers has one for 10k, is that too much ?

Cave lists their camper at #750. I think it would be tough for anyone to build anything worth having for less than $10K

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
They have a neat product for sure, but it certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all, and personally I feel it is still on the heavy size.

My prototype I use as my own camper came in at roughly 700 lbs (shell) and it is considerably bigger.

But again, we are getting back to my point that regardless of construction, the shell weights are actually pretty similar.

Composite core, XPS core, stick framed, aluminum framed... none of them are substantially lighter than the other once done up as an insulated shell. So it begs the questions....

So where do you expect to save weight??

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
My build is light for the size 12.4 x 7.4 x 7. 2" FRP composite panels, 14 gauge 4x4" roadcage, add 1/8" polyurea coating, light trays,door, windows and flooring is around 1200 lbs . Water tanks will be on the truck.
Kevin

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Any info on the polyurea coating you mentioned?

I know its cool stuff, but it cannot be very light. I bet the coating alone is probably 150# or better on a box that big.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Kenny,
Poly is heavy
Panels are 1lb per/sq ft 455lbs
Going with lighter cage, goes from 400lbs to 200. Using alum on the next one and hard shell lifting roof on sliders. This one is too tall.
1/8 Polyurea is 300lbs, 1/6 gets you to 150
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles