Wet weather jacket advice please

jeepgc

Adventurer
I don't mind spending money on quality products that work well and last. A good jacket will typically last me about 5 years of relatively frequent use. I use my outdoor clothing for a variety of self propelled outdoor sports that often take me into the backcountry for multiple days so functionality and durability are king. I don't buy the latest lightest "wonder fabric" but tend toward more durable proven fabrics and functional designs. I currently have an Arc'teryx jacket and bib pants which work well, but have owned a number of different "well known" manufacturer's products over the years. When zippers fail or I rip a piece of clothing I get it fixed. Most larger cities or outdoor oriented town have outdoor clothing repair shops. Search for warranty repair centres, many of them service a number of manufacturers warranty repairs as well as individual's non-warranty repairs. Any on the topic of warranty in my experience Arc'teryx is outstanding in warranting their products.

Thanks for tips Greg.

Yep, will get the zip fixed, my wife is an expert seamstress, she has other projects ahead of my jacket in her queue, but she said she'd take a look at it.

The Berghaus was only a stop gap until I found a better quality jacket, I hear you re functionality and durability, exactly what I'm looking for also.

Was initially impressed by the Berghaus even though it was a lot cheaper than some of the brands being mentioned on this thread, but looks like zips are still a weakness, either mine or for Berghaus.

perterra

Adventurer
Well, my Berghaus's external breast pocket zip broke today.... nothing to do with dogs, foliage etc.

Just zipped it up and it came apart.

Am I being hamfisted? I don't think so.

May be time to look at a Barbour or Filson , never broke anything on mine though I have worn holes in the cuffs and lower parts of the sleeves. I usually send them out and have the holes mended. I think my oldest Barbour is from 95 and my newest Filson is around 05. For what it's worth, last few years I have worn a Frogg Togg Toadz more than anything else, relatively cool, light weight, but if I am around arcs and sparks, sharp edges or thorns then its back to Barbour or Filson. I think I paid $59 for the Toadz.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Hey Perterra,

Thanks for the recommendations.

I used to have a Barbour, pre dogs.

Although, hard wearing, waterproof etc was not very breathable, was like a portable sauna and it was heavy.

The Filson stuff looks like it might be what I'm after

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

wildorange

Observer
Hey Perterra,

Thanks for the recommendations.

I used to have a Barbour, pre dogs.

Although, hard wearing, waterproof etc was not very breathable, was like a portable sauna and it was heavy.

The Filson stuff looks like it might be what I'm after

Have you tried the newer Barbours, I recently got the Sapper which is different from my other two older style Babour’s.

Just a thought.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thank you wild orange.

You guys have just made me realise I've been looking for the wrong thing.

Since we've had our dogs, we haven't been travelling and won't be until they pass on, well not too far anyway.

All walking we do is with the dogs, not on our own, so all of our treks are for the dogs mainly, so I don't need something super light/fold up to the size of a coke can etc.

What I need is something that can put up with my dogs, brush, thorns, mud/dirt and of course all weathers that is still comfortable to wear on less than approx 5mile walks and has good strong zips and big pockets.

So looking at that, the Barbour is going to tick a lot of those boxes, except for the lightness/flexibility, but if the new ones fall into this category, then I need to take a serious look.

So as much I like the outward bound, walking/trekking jackets, I need something more hard wearing, more in the game/fishing category maybe.

So jackets along the same lines as Barbour/Filson/Simms etc.

Still covers quite a few, but narrows down the massive choice.

Thanks for all the input so far, will take a look when our stores are back open, so some website searching is on.

Anymore recommendations in this area would be greatly appreciated.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Have you tried the newer Barbours, I recently got the Sapper which is different from my other two older style Babour’s.

Just a thought.
So wildorange, how do you rate the sapper?

Is it more breathable? Do you still have your older style Barbours?

What motivates you to wear the sapper over the other 2 and vice-versa?

wildorange

Observer
So wildorange, how do you rate the sapper?

Is it more breathable? Do you still have your older style Barbours?

What motivates you to wear the sapper over the other 2 and vice-versa?

I've only had the Sapper since Dec 19 so rather premature to give a full & comprehensive review however very positive so far, no regrets.

I've an old Beaufort that stays in the car & a Barbour International alongside the Sapper in the house. IMO The International is more of a hipster designer type jacket & the Beaufort is an old classic that continues to go on despite what's been thrown at it.

What motivates me, Sapper is well designed, plenty of pockets, quilted & made from Sylkoil and overall just very comfortable to wear & improved winter weather proof jacket. I'm 6' XL and its flexible but if need be, add an extra layer if the really bad cold incliment weather requires it.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

jeepgc

Adventurer
I've only had the Sapper since Dec 19 so rather premature to give a full & comprehensive review however very positive so far, no regrets.

I've an old Beaufort that stays in the car & a Barbour International alongside the Sapper in the house. IMO The International is more of a hipster designer type jacket & the Beaufort is an old classic that continues to go on despite what's been thrown at it.

What motivates me, Sapper is well designed, plenty of pockets, quilted & made from Sylkoil and overall just very comfortable to wear & improved winter weather proof jacket. I'm 6' XL and its flexible but if need be, add an extra layer if the really bad cold incliment weather requires it.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Sensible not to prematurely review :).

Cool, thanks for the update.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
+1 for Arc’teryx - their jackets are on the high side for price - but you can find them on sale/deals and they are very well-made/durable.

And as I found out, sometimes counterfeit... 70% off...???... I contacted Arc,teryx and they pointed out no seam tape on the lowest hem and the zippers aren't YKK... And, it was missing the garment care tag in a pocket... Otherwise it's extremely well made... The Arc guy said so as well... Looking for a patch to put over the logo...

I tried to cancel the purchase as soon as I saw the web address didn't link anyway to Canada... Tried to have PayPal cancel the purchase within an hour of purchase... Then I waited twenty days, as promised, to get the coat... Well made, no, extremely well made, of what, I don't know... I sheds water awesomely...

After I contacted Arc" they sent me a "How-To" to get a refund of my purchase... Long story short, not worth my time...

Bottom line, beware of Last Season Clearance ads on Facebook...

BTW: I am sure that what you see folks wearing on the street is likely a huge percentage counterfeit... Unless you make them, you can't tell...

Last edited:

jeepgc

Adventurer
OP, I am sure you have made a decision already. But if not... While I have tons of Arcteryx I would say this jacket probably meets your needs the best. https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-coats-jackets/Shoreline-Jacket-J162 I have owned one for a long time and can say it has been a great jacket. Easy to just slip on and layer underneath if you need to. Price is very reasonable.

Thanks Land Shark, yeah Carhartt have caught my eye, how hard wearing is it? Not sure how much of the thread you read, I started off out by looking at outdoor/adventure style jackets and @wildorange put me down the path of Barbour, which is looking like the favourite.

I sometimes have to push through brush, thorns etc to get sight of my wild hounds as is the main reason for this all weathers jacket, dog walking, not much travelling these days sadly...

jeepgc

Adventurer
And as I found out, sometimes counterfeit... 70% off...???... I contacted Arc,teryx and they pointed out no seam tape on the lowest hem and the zippers aren't YKK... And, it was missing the garment care tag in a pocket... Otherwise it's extremely well made... The Arc guy said so as well... Looking for a patch to put over the logo...

I tried to cancel the purchase as soon as I saw the web address didn't link anyway to Canada... Tried to have PayPal cancel the purchase within an hour of purchase... Then I waited twenty days, as promised, to get the coat... Well made, no, extremely well made, of what, I don't know... I sheds water awesomely...

After I contacted Arc" they sent me a "How-To" to get a refund of my purchase... Long story short, not worth my time...

Bottom line, beware of Last Season Clearance ads on Facebook...

BTW: I am sure that what you see folks wearing on the street is likely a huge percentage counterfeit... Unless you make them, you can't tell...
So all worked out in the end then? Good quality jacket for 70% less than asking (y)

Land Shark

Thanks Land Shark, yeah Carhartt have caught my eye, how hard wearing is it? Not sure how much of the thread you read, I started off out by looking at outdoor/adventure style jackets and @wildorange put me down the path of Barbour, which is looking like the favorite.

I sometimes have to push through brush, thorns etc to get sight of my wild hounds as is the main reason for this all weathers jacket, dog walking, not much traveling these days sadly...
Unfortunately, I cannot speak to briars. I have used mine in others ways. Sim training, all day rifle classes, teaching CQB, and all day outside with various conditions. With my experience I have been intimate with all sorts of wood, splinters, etc... But no briars :)

jeepgc

Adventurer
Unfortunately, I cannot speak to briars. I have used mine in others ways. Sim training, all day rifle classes, teaching CQB, and all day outside with various conditions. With my experience I have been intimate with all sorts of wood, splinters, etc... But no briars :)
Well that's still a lot of wear on the jacket, no briars yet .....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles