Weight

1000arms

Looks pretty specific to commercial vehicles.
I posted a link to Maine law, without making any particular point. :cool:

Although I might have missed it, I don't think anything on the page I linked limits the law to only commercial vehicles. :)

Back up a few sections and you'll find this:

" 2353. Weight limits. Except as provided in section 2355, the following gross vehicle weight limits apply to vehicles operating on a public way:
A. For a 2-axle vehicle, 34,000 pounds"

Section 2355 has a formula based on distance between axles. A 4Runner with a 9 foot wheelbase has a limit of 39,000 lbs.
That is the upper limit to operate on a public way. It ain't permission to exceed GVWR. :cool:

WOW...I guess you can go ahead and put that host camper on a Tacoma and let er rip in Maine....lol

See above: That "2-axle vehicle, 34,000 pounds" is the upper limit to operate on a public way.

Again, it ain't permission to exceed GVWR. :cool:

I guarantee EVERY state and province has a law like this. Often hard to find but it'll be there somewhere. ...

Many current one ton pickups exceed 10,000 pounds GVWR. :)

"An operator of a bus or truck with a registered weight or gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds or subject to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations who fails to stop at the weighing point when the signs are operating, unless otherwise directed by a state police officer, commits a traffic infraction "

As IdaSHO pointed out:

... This is why you see so many legit full size trucks with a 9900lb GVWR. ...

Choosing a vehicle that has enough weight capacity and towing capacity to do what one wants is probably the best way to stay safe as well as legal. :cool:

1000arms

Back up a few sections and you'll find this:

" 2353. Weight limits.
Except as provided in section 2355, the following gross vehicle weight limits apply to vehicles operating on a public way:
A. For a 2-axle vehicle, 34,000 pounds" Section 2355 has a formula based on distance between axles. A 4Runner with a 9 foot wheelbase has a limit of 39,000 lbs.
... That is the upper limit to operate on a public way. It ain't permission to exceed GVWR. :cool: ...

True. But the law you posted is not about GVWR.
:unsure: ... :unsure: ... :unsure: ... Hmm, I'm pretty sure that you quoted a different section of Maine law (2253), somehow misunderstood the gross limit for a 2-axle vehicle (although you quoted the 34,000 pound limit) and suggested that 4Runner has a 39,000 pound limit (5,000 pounds above the 34,000 pound gross limit that you quoted), and then jumped back to comment on the section of Maine law that I posted. ... Best of luck to you! Stay safe! ....:cool:

Say, ... in case you missed the most important point of my entire post, I'll quote it for.
Please see:
... Choosing a vehicle that has enough weight capacity and towing capacity to do what one wants is probably the best way to stay safe as well as legal. :cool:

Old Tanker

...you quoted a different section of Maine law...

...You cited a penalty section, that refers back to the weight limits sections. I quoted the two sections concerning weight limits. Two-axle vehicles get 34,000 lbs. 9 foot wheel base vehicles get 39,000 lbs. Obviously these limits are not meant to apply to normal passenger vehicles. Which makes sense, because weight laws are more about protecting pavement and bridges, and less about performance characteristics.

NoDak

That is the maximum weight legally allowed for my vehicle to be operated on public roads in the state of North Dakota. It's specific to my truck on my state registration for the vehicle. I'm not exactly sure how it's calculated but its the registered vehicle only. Not GCWR.

STREGA

Explorer
So Maine goes by registered weight. The registered weight for my 2014 F150 on my North Dakota registration is 10666lbs. My manufacturer GVWR is 7350lbs. I could be over GVWR by 3000lbs and be legal.

Like that person in congress said “it’s all about the Benjamin’s”.
Back in the mid 80’s I was registering a new to me 1 ton Chevy dually. The friendly lady at the DMV asked me what GVWR I wanted to register it with. Well I said 10K (can’t remember what the exact number was but that was 35 years ago) because that was what the manufacturer rated it. She said that was okay but added that if I ever was forced to weigh it and it was at 10,001 lbs. I would be fined. If I wanted to I could register it at 12K or even more and would not be fined, IIRC there were 2K increments of course the registration fee’s increased with the higher weights. I went with the 10K rating since I didn’t think I would ever go over it. The higher fees are for paying for the wear and tear on the roads and bridges etc. that heavier vehicles do like some one else mentioned.

Edit: forgot to say this was in Nevada don’t know if they do that anymore either.

tacollie

Glamper
Like that person in congress said “it’s all about the Benjamin’s”.
Back in the mid 80’s I was registering a new to me 1 ton Chevy dually. The friendly lady at the DMV asked me what GVWR I wanted to register it with. Well I said 10K (can’t remember what the exact number was but that was 35 years ago) because that was what the manufacturer rated it. She said that was okay but added that if I ever was forced to weigh it and it was at 10,001 lbs. I would be fined. If I wanted to I could register it at 12K or even more and would not be fined, IIRC there were 2K increments of course the registration fee’s increased with the higher weights. I went with the 10K rating since I didn’t think I would ever go over it. The higher fees are for paying for the wear and tear on the roads and bridges etc. that heavier vehicles do like some one else mentioned.

Edit: forgot to say this was in Nevada don’t know if they do that anymore either.

My understanding is some states do that if the vehicle is registered commercially. More money! I don't think any do it for non commercial vehicles. Kind of a crazy concept.

D

Deleted member 9101

My understanding is some states do that if the vehicle is registered commercially. More money! I don't think any do it for non commercial vehicles. Kind of a crazy concept.

Florida goes buy weight for everything, which makes perfect sense. My F150 creates more wear and tear on infrastructure than my wife's Fusion.

NoDak

My F150 with 10666lb reg. weight is personal use non commercial.

eyemgh

Not that the Maine law applies anywhere else, but they do classify infractions up to 500lbs over on two axle vehicles as “minor” and waive any penalty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior