waterproofing tailgate gaps

fiddypal

Adventurer
Title pretty much says it all, what are you guys using to close up the gaps in your tail gates to prevent water from getting into your bed area? My 2014 silverado has MASSIVE gaps on each end of the tailgate, so i am going to have to figure something out if i want a dry sleeping area.

Thanks!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I used adhesive backed bulb seals from McMaster Carr.

They worked OK (certainly better than nothing), but there was always a bit of water and dust that worked its way through.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Are you worries about rain getting in? Perhaps a magnetic, rubber strip would work well as a dam type of barrier.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I had the same problem with my '98 GMC, but it's not an issue on my Dodge or Toyota. GM trucks seems to be more prone to this issue. I don't remember the brand name (AgriSeal or something like that), but I found a big, fat self-adhesive bulb seal sold specifically for sealing up truck tailgates. Wider and fatter than anything I have found as weatherstripping. Pretty much solved the problem. Check with your local truck accessory/camper shell place, or Amazon, or Tractor Supply.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Thanks guys! I do realize that i will not get 100% waterproof, but i will have my sleeping stuff back there and don't want it getting soaked.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Looks like i need to buy some closed cell foam blocks to jam in the big *** holes under the bed rails too.. ************* GM!!!! (although i am sure i'd be bitching about another brand specific issue with another car)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Worst case scenario, you can get one of those heavy duty dry bags that river rafters use and put your sleeping bag in that.
Depending on where you travel I would be more worried about dust. I don't know about you but I hate getting to the end of the day and seeing the bed entirely filled with dust that seeped in from around the tailgate, and having to sleep in that (That's actually one of the reasons I like an SUV over a pickup with a shell.) I've seen people do some creative stuff with closed-cell foam pipe insulation. Doesn't have to be 100% but any reduction in dust is a good thing when you want a nice place to sleep.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Well, i am already considering a design where i will build up walls where the wheel wells poke out, and if i make them come up to the top of the bed rail then i should be fine, because it will keep all the dust and water behind the wall and route it to the floor of the truck which already had bedliner sprayed on.

I will need to make sure i treat the wood so it can stand up to the elements, but this is probably my best chance in addition to liberal amount of bulb seal and RTV to keep the water and dust out.

I dont plan on doing any crazy off roading, this is my everyday driver so not going to be abusing it off-road.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
That Cabela's link looks like the seal I used. Note that it's a lot wider than typical weatherstripping, that's why it works. If you are getting leaks between the shell and the bed rail, just lift the shell and replace that seal. Don't overthink this.

fiddypal

Adventurer
The cap was just put on and is not leaking, i am just concerned about the massive gaps in the tail gate and the holes up under the rails. I will have to get a pic next time i am in the cab, you can see 2 huge square in the top corners of the tailgate.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
the holes up under the rails.
There should not be any holes under the rails, unless you are talking about stake pockets. And stake pockets should be covered by the shell, with a drip edge on the shell to carry water away from the rails.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Well it happened to rain pretty hard last night and into today. I have a small leak at the front because the guy who installed the cap let a little gap get folded over, not the end of the world... Looks like its just clamped down by 4 clamps so i'll loosen them and fit the molding.

I am actually getting more water in from the gaps in the front than the tailgate, but it could be the slight slope i am parked on. Here are pics of the holes and leak areas. Nothing crazy so i am not worried in the least, a little bit of weather strip and i am good to go.

Gap in top left of tail gate looking from inside the cab back.
20160315_161346_resized.jpg

Holes under rail which i heard allow dust and rocks in bed.
20160315_161416_resized.jpg

20160315_161441.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior