Water container with spigot/hose

krick3tt

Adventurer
Just because an item comes from a hardware store does not make it dangerous, it is brass and can be cleaned before during and after.
Of course that is just an opinion.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I'd discourage anyone from using a hardware store spigot for potable water cans. Kinda defeats the purpose of using a food grade container for potable water then slapping a hardware store spigot on it :rolleyes:

I knew when I posted a photo of a brass fitting on a water can that it would bring this admonition.

Everyone is entitled to one's viewpoint. Mine is that in the context of potable water containers for camping and recreational use the avoidance of brass fittings is buying into nanny state nonsense. The low lead fittings pictured were fully approved for use with potable water until January 1, 2014 when by legislative fiat they suddenly became dangerous and something to be avoided at all costs. Like 60w incandescent light bulbs and 1.6 gal./flush toilets.

In reality, even in the context of a household system where there is constant contact between the water supply and a brass fitting, and even in the worst cases of leaching from high chlorine content, if one runs the tap for just 1-2 seconds it flushes out the small volume of water in and around the fitting that might have accumulated some measurable trace of lead. The moving water can't pick up enough lead to be measured.

The brass fittings in the Rotopax can pictured are not in contact with the water inside unless water is flowing through them or the can is stored on its side. Since the can is stored vertically there is no direct contact with water and the risk of harm from lead poisoning is zero. Even if stored on its side for an extended period, or in the case of a container with brass spigot at the bottom, flushing the valve with just 1/4 to 1/2 cup of running water restores the risk of harm to zero.

That being said, I have no issue with those law abiding citizens who would prefer to use certified "food safe" fixtures and plastic valves. As you can see from my first post in this thread I used a plastic spigot for my Wavian/ProQuip water can. For my Rotopax can I proudly chose brass.

YMMV

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
We also drank from the hose, letting it run a bit to not splash hot water on each other from the hose sitting in the sun. Seat belts were a novelty and the hood ornament was an airplane. We ran bare foot in the summer and rode our bikes without helmets and knee pads, looking back it is amazing that we lived. But we did, well, at least most of us.
Freaking out about a brass fitting on a water can is a bit much.
Forgot to mention, if the water freaks you out better hold your breath and not breath the air.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
If filled with domestic water, did that come thru a ’hardware store’ spigot ?
Fwiw,
Occasionally I worked at municipal waterworks. I seen whats inside pipes and reservoirs !

That's a good point actually! I fill my container at those water dispensers in front of the grocery stores as I head out of town to go camping. Hopefully their filtration system works as advertised. I don't detect any type of smell or taste, so hopefully the water quality is decent.

I've been dully chastised for my comment and I deserved it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles