Water container with spigot/hose

shade

Think im going to do this to one of my 10L scepters. Have you ever had any leaking from the spigot? I worry maybe changes in temperature or altitude would start a leak that would go unnoticed until its too late.
If a good valve is used and installed correctly, it should be ok. If it's still a concern, consider installing the valve so that the can is transported with the valve up, and reposition the can for use. Installing a valve in the main cap is one way to do this, and you haven't permanently violated the integrity of the can.

You could also install a valve in a second cap, and only install it when you want to use it.

alia176

Explorer
Think im going to do this to one of my 10L scepters. Have you ever had any leaking from the spigot? I worry maybe changes in temperature or altitude would start a leak that would go unnoticed until its too late.

No leaks on both cans I've added this spigot too, going on seven years I think. I am super careful when I remove the cans from the vehicles and refill it at the water vending machines. That plastic spigot can be broken rather easily.

The best part about my water solution is that I don't use/discard plastic water bottles/jugs.

akpostal

Adventurer
Spigot in the cap and vent in the opposite corner. Mounts vertically tap up or down with no leaks or horizontally tap down.

rubican011_479af490e2ff0d2ee2ae7a6c6f0abbe8be66ed69.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Nearly every jeep I have owned over the last 48 years has had a jerry can for water mounted on the back with a spigot for convenience. I was attracted to the ProQuip/Wavian 22L water cans because they are already threaded for a spigot. They are also almost identical in dimension as the Wavian NATO steel fuel cans. A bit pricey at $49, but if the ProQuip/Wavian 22L can really is ready to go right out of the box then the premium price might be worth it. So I bought one.

Rear of Jeep.jpg

Unfortunately, the spigot supplied with the can is a disappointment. It tends to stick and turn the entire valve body when the handle is turned on or off. Sometimes it takes two hands, one to hold the valve body and the other to move the handle, which in turn requires a third hand hold the vessel being filled. No bueno.

Original Spigot.jpg

My solution was a bottling spigot from my local home brew store that came with a food grade washer and an "O" ring from a bin at my local Ace Hardware. The valve action is smoother and the valve handle is on top so the valve body cannot turn with the movement of the handle.

Spigot Comparison.jpg

New Spigot Installed Side View.jpg

New Spigot Installed End View.jpg

The ProQuip/Wavian 22L water cans are available here, $49 as of 03/05/2020: https://expeditionexchange.com/shop...ro-quip-22-liter-od-green-water-jerrycan-3214 I have less than $10 into the new spigot, washers, o-rings and 100% silicone adhesive sealer.

If I had it to do over I would probably buy a mil spec Scepter or LCI 5 gal. water jerry can and drill a hole for a brass valve from Home Depot or Lowe's. However, my modified ProQuip/Wavian can works just fine and I have no reason to change.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Robert is that a standard 3/4" NPT thread on that spigot? A brass hose bib ought to work...

Threads for the bung on the Wavian/ProQuip Australian made water cans are 3/4" BSP (British Standard Pipe) which has 14 threads/inch. BSP threads have a 55° angle and have rounded peaks and valleys (Whitworth thread form).

Most U.S. fittings are NPT (National Pipe Tapered). The 3/4" size also has 14 threads/inch, however NPT/NPS threads have a 60° angle and have flattened peaks and valleys (Sellers thread form). [The threads in the cap of the Scepter or LCI water can pictured below in the post by @krick3tt are standard U.S. 3/4" NPT so no thread compatibility issues with U.S. 3/4" NPT fittings.]

U.S. garden hose fittings are 3/4" GHT (Garden Hose Thread) aka NH (National Hose) or NPSH, which have 11.5 threads/inch.

The mis-match in thread angle and shape between BSP and NPS is why trying to install a NPT fitting seems like it fits until the fitting hits the stop in the water can and the fitting skips the threads and pops out. The mis-match is also why there isn't a good seal.

The best option would be to find an imported spigot with BSP thread, but these get expensive fast because the shipping charges on Ebay, etc. are often 3x the price of the part.

The second best option is to use a 3/4" NPT fitting and some silicone caulking to "glue" it in place and seal against water leakage with a substance that can be removed later if necessary unlike a true glue or epoxy.

Some have used standard 3/4" GHT fittings with JB Epoxy but I suspect that the GHT threads are only engaging at the outer portion of the threads, not the deeper threads, and that it is the epoxy that is creating the fit and seal rather than the threads and that the same could be accomplished with a 3/4" NPT fitting and silicone using the deeper threads. See photo for illustration:

Threads in Water Can.jpg

And to respond to @rayra, who posited that a brass 3/4" hose bibb should work with some silicone to seal it. Yes, it should, but I didn't want to risk damaging the fragile plastic threads in the water can and I wanted a spigot rather than a hose bibb so I stuck with the food grade 3/4" NPT plastic spigot from the home brew store that had the correct orientation and cost less than half as much as a brass valve.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've had bad luck with any water container with a press-in vent plug. Too much sloshing / surging around off-road and the plugs get pushed out and you end up with a bunch of your water outside the container.

Thanks for the info Robert. I'm wondering if it would be possible to run a 3/4"NPT thread tap into that Wavian can. At the right diameter and thread count, it should just remove a slight bit of material, changing the thread angles from 55 to 60deg, if I'm imagining it correctly.

But / too, it ought to be fairly straightforward to add a bulkhead fitting to a milspec MWC, since the mouth is big enough to stick your arm thru. But as krick3tt shows it's easy to put a bib in the cap and not compromise the jug itself.

another_mike

Adventurer
I've had bad luck with any water container with a press-in vent plug. Too much sloshing / surging around off-road and the plugs get pushed out and you end up with a bunch of your water outside the container.
ive had the same experiences with that type of vent plug.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Rotopax 2 Gallon Water Can with Brass Spigot and Vent

Speaking of vents, I recently installed one in a 2 gallon Rotopax water can for a 3-week overlanding trip in my Xterra. The can was stored vertically, easily accessible from the rear hatch. No leaks; no problems.

Rather than mess with hoses or siphons or any of the other gadgets and contraptions we overlanders love to invent in the name of camping convenience, I followed the maxim simpler is better, less is more - a 1/4 turn brass garden spigot replacing the yellow plastic spout that came with the can. This arrangement requires a vent to prevent vacuum lock so I drilled a hole and added a vent.

Rotopax Water Can with Brass Spigot and Brass Vent.jpg

I considered and rejected "Mr. Yellow Plug" and similar push-in plastic vents. Internet comments suggest that the Rotopax plastic is too thick for these to "pop" into place. Besides, what pops in can also pop out and few glues successfully bond to the slick food grade plastic used by Rotopax.

s-l500.jpg

I also considered and rejected the "Pops-A-Vent" aluminum vent. Internet comments similarly suggested that the Rotopax plastic is too thick for the fitting to "pop" into place. My emails to the company went unanswered, but it appears from the product photos that if the can material is too thick for the fitting to "pop" it can necessarily only be held in place by a single barb in the fitting and glue. For $14 including shipping it didn't seem like a good bet to me.

71fiYIpjT3L._SX679_-200x139.jpg

It turns out that everything I needed was at Ace Hardware, Lowe's or Home Depot.

Parts List:
Valve - 1/2" brass valve; 1" to 1/2" Sch. 80 PVC reducer bushing; appropriate size washer from the bins at Ace Hardware; original retaining collar from the Rotopax can.
Vent - 1/4" NPT brass air compressor tank drain cock; 1/2" "brass colored" washer; 100% silicone adhesive sealant.

Partially Assembled Valve for Rotopax Water Can.jpg

Valve Installed in Rotopax Water Can.jpg

Vent installed.jpg

Assembly:
Assemble the valve as shown. You will need to evenly sand down the edges of the reducer bushing flange until it fits into the Rotopax threaded collar. The valve fits tightly into the reducer bushing after only a few turns so no sealant is necessary. Try to be gentle with the threads of the bushing if you hold it there with vice grips or water pump pliers during assembly. In the photo you can see that I wasn't. However, this is merely cosmetic because the bushing slips into the slightly larger opening of the water can and any buggered up threads will be out of sight, out of mind.

Drill a hole in your Rotopax can for the vent using a 7/16" or 15/32" HSS bit. (A 1/2" hole will be too big.) Then either cut threads in the hole with a 1/4" NPT tap or improvise a home made tap. (I used a male threaded air hose coupler, tapped it with a mallet to get it started in the hole, then threaded it in by hand.) Use some 100% silicon adhesive sealant on the threads of the drain cock and under the washer, thread in the drain cock, wipe off excess silicone. (With the 15/32" hole it is a relatively tight fit so sealant isn't really necessary and the Rotopax plastic is fairly thick where illustrated so there should be sufficient threads cut into the can to hold the vent in place.

So far so good. No guarantees with thinner cans.

Note: Some may be disappointed with the gravity feed flow rate of a 1/2" valve with small air vent. A 3/4" valve would certainly flow more water but I rationalized the 1/2" valve this way: (1) I already had a 1">1/2" bushing in one of my parts bins, (2) I don't know if there is such a thing as a 1">3/4" bushing that would fit inside the Rotopax threaded collar, and (3) the slower flow with a 1/2" valve tends to waste less water. YMMV

Another Note: For my view regarding the use of brass fittings for containers used to store potable water see Post #33 below.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I got rid of my older Aquatainers because of the push-in vent. The newer ones have a nice threaded vent cap, but then the blow-molding got really thin / too fragile for my liking, so I passed them along to a neighbor / Scoutmaster.

oh excellent on the reducer working with that cap style, which looks identical to those on the newish Scepter 'civilian' 20L fuel and water jugs. I'm going to try that immediately / this weekend. I'd love to put a spigot on the 20L cap. And I'm probably going to try those yellow vent plugs on a 'civilian' scepter jug. They're about 2/3 as thick as a milspec jug, by weight. They come with vented flex/pour spouts, but I'd like to use one on its side with a spigot. I'll report back on whether their thickness works with the yellow inserts.

gascache181105.jpg

WVI

Adventurer
When I was in the service, I would take a water can and drill a hole towards the bottom and use a garden hose bib with a piece on the back side to thread in to.
I used RTV silicone on both sides.
We would use this for hand washing and such. Depending where we were, I could put it in a black trash bag and it would heat the water some.

alia176

Explorer
I'd discourage anyone from using a hardware store spigot for potable water cans. Kinda defeats the purpose of using a food grade container for potable water then slapping a hardware store spigot on it :rolleyes:

Another solution on top of the nice one posted above is to use a coffee dispenser spigot. I had to drill a hole in my scepter can then use the supplied washers for a water tight seal. Going strong for 10+ years.

. 1583766860552.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior