USA-CAN-USA, July 2017 (16 US states and 4 Canadian provinces)

molanginaeda

Observer
With my trip all done, these are some facts I will remember about my trip...

TRIP DAYS: 25 days through 18 US states and 4 Canadian provinces
TOTAL MILES DRIVEN: 9,100 miles
TOTAL COST OF GAS: $1,656 of mostly premium gas. The worst price of gas was in Canada at about $4 USD a gallon.
OIL CONSUMPTION: 2 quarts of full synthetic added on this trip. Not something that happens when I am home as I change my oil every 5,000 miles
MECHANICAL PROBLEMS: Minor scrap on my front bumper and rear bumper. My led fog lights burnt up. Seller on ebay just sent me a new replacement set. Check engine light came on halfway on the trip, but it is off now by itself.

2 quarts of oil? Need to check for leak. Glad you make it home safely.

I only drove 7741 miles in 17 days. My gas cost is as high as yours as I'm towing. Overall, I only get 12mpg.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Great photos PFA. You seem to have hit all the guidebook "must see" spots. I have no patience for crowds like that (maybe from living in a tourist mecca for 28 years has taken its toll??).

I probably saw you at the Washington border crossing as I am back and forth across there at least 3x per week. You drove within 500 yards of my acreage which is about a mile from the border.

On another note, who do you use for image hosting?

Nice report. I enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing the Infinity off-road.
Thanks and thanks for taking the time to read it. My Infiniti did impress me very well. I really had great expectations for it though. And it met the expectations. But last year it disappointed me a lot on same offroad course. But I had street tires back then. This time, I had offroad tires and the QX did drive like the Nissan Patrol I expected it to perform like.

I enjoyed checking in on this trip report and thoroughly enjoyed your stories and tidbits of info. Well done, PetitFrereArmada, thanks for doing it.
Thanks for the compliment and I appreciate you taking your time to read the report.

Great ride report, and really enjoyed the photos! Thanks for the effort.
Thanks for stopping by and glad you enjoyed the pictures. If not of the image hosting site acting up, I really wanted to post some more random pictures of the trip. And I do appreciate you taking your time to read the thread.

Last edited:
2 quarts of oil? Need to check for leak. Glad you make it home safely.

I only drove 7741 miles in 17 days. My gas cost is as high as yours as I'm towing. Overall, I only get 12mpg.

Oh wow. You too spent about $1,650 on gas too? I did not expect you would spend that much on gas to cover only 7,741 miles since you use regular while I use premium. But now that you mention your mileage based on you towing the camper, I see how you would use a lot more gas.

Yeah, I did top off with 2 quarts of oil. That has bothered my mind a bit. But God, did I do some serious long drives as I put those pistons to work rubbing against each other and using all the lubrication they could to keep the car sustaining those long drives of 24 hours non stop and about 3 18 hours non stop drives. So, I can see why some oil was used up, though 2 quarts seems high. There are no leaks on the car since I just got an oil change at the dealership like 3 days after I got home and I was in the work area to ask if I could take a look at the underbody of my car. I just hated seeing the scraps on my bumper that I got from offroading. Some real battle scars. Well, I just already took it to a body shop and paid to get those fixed and the bumpers are back to like nothing happened.

The other things that bothered me halfway into this trip is I picked up a rock somewhere that broke one of my fog lamps housing and my led fogs all went out. I was not happy about that. I contacted the seller on ebay who was nice enough to ask me to send pictures of the bad leds. Then he sent me new replacements. New release of their new batch of led fog lights. It looks really good. I also went ahead and just ordered 2 new fog lamp assemblies from ebay.

So I went to work on my QX and changed the fog lights assembly and installed the new fog leds. Now it looks and works great with the new fogs.

206etxh.jpg

WLfJrMO.jpg

9ih1j5.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos PFA. You seem to have hit all the guidebook "must see" spots. I have no patience for crowds like that (maybe from living in a tourist mecca for 28 years has taken its toll??).

I probably saw you at the Washington border crossing as I am back and forth across there at least 3x per week. You drove within 500 yards of my acreage which is about a mile from the border.

On another note, who do you use for image hosting?

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for reading.

You are right. I did get as many guidebooks I could find and found the must see places to stop and visit on this trip. Yellowstone park sells a book that is like a personal guide. It is a really great book and takes you from one attraction to the next. I wish these books could be available to people before they get to Yellowstone. I bought and have one. It is a really great guide book.

There is one fact about Yellowstone national Park that many people do not know and I was surprised when I heard it because I just did not expect it nor did I know before I went there. The park is 3,472 square miles, bigger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined. That is a fact I did not know. That the park is bigger than those 2 states combined together. So visiting Yellowstone and driving all around it is like driving around the whole of those 2 states.

Also, know that driving from the south entrance to the north entrance takes you atleast 4 hours. This is straight driving and maintaining the speed limit of 45 in the park. The time gets longer if you meet an animal blocking the road and people just turn the highway into a parking lot.

As for the border crossings, I personally love to have a picture of the welcome to sign. And since it is vacation and I have nothing but time, I make it a rule to always stop at each of those signs and have my picture taken infront of my car. I am collecting them. I hope to someday have all 50 states pictures with me and my car in it. That is very interesting to know I was really close to where you live at the border crossing. I guess we may have passed by each other when I was in Washington. Next time, please honk. Would be nice to say hello.

I use 2 image hosting sites. My favorite is www.tinypic.com. But it is acting up lately. So my next choice is www.imgur.com. But I always go with my first choice and when it does not work, I use the second choice to get the pic.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I tried imgur today, but it wouldn't load at all. The app said "your device sucks, and is not cool enough to run our fancy software". I may be paraphrasing slightly.

seeNik48

Adventurer
No kidding. And that is what I did. Just drove through.

There is much to see in Idaho. You need to get off the interstate which you did in other states. Few people, many backroads, scenery, waterfalls, old growth cedar Forests, ghost Towns, history, etc. We spent a month there last September and want to return.

Currently on a spontaneous trip to London to visit my brother and then today on my way to Paris for 3 days. I was going to create trip report, but not much to report, so just wanted to mainly post pictures of every cool site I visit while on this trip.

Today, I am about to board the high speed train for Paris. Posting this before boarding.
cBurtZ6.jpg

And this is where you print your tickets before boarding and going through the international boarder control
g5hq9WY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online