Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

ExploringJeeps

I attached the awning mounts that I bought from John to my J30 today. I went through and removed all of the bolts that hold the J30 to the Jeep, and then went about trying to figure out how to lift the top up high enough to be able to...um... "mount" the mounts. Working alone it quickly became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to lift the top and wedge some sort of support under it to keep it off the frame. I had already drilled the holes for the mounts and with a lamp I was able to see the holes from the front seat of my Jeep. With the use of some rachet extenders, a swivel joint, and a deep socket, I was able to attach the mount to the top without having to raise the top off of the Jeep! It took a bit of work, but they are on there now and I'm happy! I WILL have to get help to mount the awning onto the brackets though. That thing is heavier than I thought it would be.
Presto88 it’s a tough job isn’t it? I have to admit that I wish I had them put on with my original build. I had to pull out all kinds of tricks. Magnets, duct tape, angle grinder. I should have just taken the whole top off, but of course we had a trip to go on...
My biggest piece of advice to anyone else doing it is to make sure the mounting holes in the stainless bracket are de-burred. I forced the bolts through, not thinking much of it. I gunked up my threads on one bolt. Lock nut started getting tight midway through. I tried to force it, and then it jammed up. Couldn’t back it out. So then I had a loose bolt. Had to drill it out, buy a new bolt, and start over. Yes, there was some swearing involved.
It’s great now though. I made some brackets that are affixed to the awning and slide down over the j30 brackets. I can remove the awning by loosening up a few bolts and just lifting it off. Goes on just as simple. The goal eventually is to be able to leave our awning and room setup at camp and drive away. Need to find some sturdy poles though.

Presto88

Adventurer
I love the idea of brackets attached to the awning to allow me to just slip the awning on! That's how I pictured it when I ordered the mounts. When I got the mounts and saw that single hole at the top, I thought that was where I would put a lock or something to keep people from stealing my awning (I hadn't ordered the awning yet). You are right in that it should be pretty straightforward to rig up something like that. I'll have to give it some thought.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
We've had our J30 for just over a week and could not be happier! Traveled from Michigan out to San Diego to have it installed and then camped our way back home in it. The first night or two the cushions seemed too firm but the more nights we slept the more comfortable it got and we're sleeping like babies now. It's fun how much attention it gets when folks notice. We stopped in a rest area for a break and this couple came up to ask if that was a camper on top of the Jeep. About 10 seconds later I had it popped up and showed it off, less than a minute to close it back down, they were very impressed.

The only thing we aren't used to yet is getting up at night for nature calls, if one person is getting up both are getting up. It is impossible to quietly slip out for a bathroom break. We're thinking about ways to make this easier.

View attachment 461905View attachment 461906View attachment 461907
We have a telescoping ladder and I have brackets on both sides, it works so well we never use the hatches anymore!IMG_4400.JPG

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I'd love to know a bit more about the brackets you are using to keep the ladder in place. Can you share a bit more info an perhaps a close up picture or two? Thanks in advance!!

Sense I am a boat guy I found a quick release for a binimi top. Here is the link. there is a little puck that you bolt to the top and then I attached the quick release assembly to the ladder.

Here is a link to the part

https://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-bimini-deck-hinge-tr153688-quick-release-1-4-inch-stainless?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp1075716&sc_intid=1075716&gclid=CjwKCAjwy_XaBRAWEiwApfjKHhNOkweAFDnjzjdL4lXuTZ_3NwjChAQh2CUjhw0CbaKGqz7S7VAhhhoCpEQQAvD_BwE

I will try to get a couple close up pictures for you when I get a chance. If you look close there are 2 small silver mounts above the rear window.

IMG_4791.JPG

Jay61

Since the talk is on awnings, has anyone figured out how to mount an Alu-Cab Shadow awning on the Ursa Minor?

JARunning

Since the talk is on awnings, has anyone figured out how to mount an Alu-Cab Shadow awning on the Ursa Minor?
Not a shadow, but the updated Rhino Rack BatWing fits and works spectacularly on the standard Ursa Minor brackets
It’s also half the price of the shadow and about 15lbs lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Not a shadow, but the updated Rhino Rack BatWing fits and works spectacularly on the standard Ursa Minor brackets
Thanks, that looks awesome.

I have a question that I can't quite answer from your photos - I'm interested in how much of the tailgate is "covered" by the BatWing when it's open.. i.e. if you had a tailgate table for cooking, is it entirely covered by the BatWing, or does the BatWing end kind of at a right angle to the rear?

If it's not too much trouble, a photo showing how far "around" the BatWing goes would be much appreciated! Thanks

-Dan

Jay61

Dan Grec, I believe it comes out past the tailgate due to where the pole is on his next to the last photo.

JARunning

Dan Grec, I believe it comes out past the tailgate due to where the pole is on his next to the last photo.
Indeed, the tailgate is fully covered. I can stand under it with tailgate table open and fridge slide extended and be fully under cover.

More pics coming in a bit...

JARunning

Thanks, that looks awesome.

I have a question that I can't quite answer from your photos - I'm interested in how much of the tailgate is "covered" by the BatWing when it's open.. i.e. if you had a tailgate table for cooking, is it entirely covered by the BatWing, or does the BatWing end kind of at a right angle to the rear?

If it's not too much trouble, a photo showing how far "around" the BatWing goes would be much appreciated! Thanks

-Dan
Having a tough time getting the right angle to show the coverage, but here it goes:

When/if the wind dies down tomorrow I’ll see if I can get an overhead shot that will make the most sense.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Having a tough time getting the right angle to show the coverage, but here it goes:

When/if the wind dies down tomorrow I’ll see if I can get an overhead shot that will make the most sense.
This is great, thanks very much!

It looks like if you had a vertical "wall" section on the right here, it will drop straight down and even the spare tire would be within the enclosed space.

Perfect!

-Dan

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Sense I am a boat guy I found a quick release for a binimi top. Here is the link. there is a little puck that you bolt to the top and then I attached the quick release assembly to the ladder.

Here is a link to the part

https://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-bimini-deck-hinge-tr153688-quick-release-1-4-inch-stainless?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp1075716&sc_intid=1075716&gclid=CjwKCAjwy_XaBRAWEiwApfjKHhNOkweAFDnjzjdL4lXuTZ_3NwjChAQh2CUjhw0CbaKGqz7S7VAhhhoCpEQQAvD_BwE

I will try to get a couple close up pictures for you when I get a chance. If you look close there are 2 small silver mounts above the rear window.

View attachment 463207
Nice! That was a great idea...