UJOR Build Thread

JJ72Roofer

Was reading through the old UJOR posts and came across this picture. Then I saw something that made me laugh. As a parent I could see myself sitting on the forklift and having my kids running around. Me yelling at them to get out of the way, "This is dangerous". Then they disappear and I try to hurry to take the picture. Of course a big van with a ladder needs to be climbed on when you are a kid. If this was my kid my wife would still be mad at me but I would still be laughing.

Attachments

• File Feb 10, 9 28 30 AM.jpg
    File Feb 10, 9 28 30 AM.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 106

screwball48

Explorer
Was reading through the old UJOR posts and came across this picture. Then I saw something that made me laugh. As a parent I could see myself sitting on the forklift and having my kids running around. Me yelling at them to get out of the way, "This is dangerous". Then they disappear and I try to hurry to take the picture. Of course a big van with a ladder needs to be climbed on when you are a kid. If this was my kid my wife would still be mad at me but I would still be laughing.

Look near the front drivers side tire in that picture. Looks like a bluejeans covered knee. My guess is a couple of shop monkeys on that side checking out the clearance on compression. Simply looks like a kids foot hanging off the side of a ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Excellent, from the pics everything looks nice! Be sure to post some pics of it sitting on all 4.

Hoped to get the E-350 back today but the rear driveshaft didn't balance up right so having a do-over. Bummer but more important to get it done right.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Look near the front drivers side tire in that picture. Looks like a bluejeans covered knee. My guess is a couple of shop monkeys on that side checking out the clearance on compression. Simply looks like a kids foot hanging off the side of a ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea all over that thing checking clearances/etc.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
B190 off to alignment. Just needs some miles and a big box to show up from Aluminess!

16708539_1447534621932428_6806393434568625159_n.jpg

Mag shoot yesterday for FourWheeler and Driving Line, great weather and good times with the guys.

16649119_1448272141858676_689256352707886122_n.jpg

16683803_1448545771831313_2561001766651130477_n.jpg

flightcancled

Explorer
Unsure about the email situation, Chris can chime in. We are constrained by the length of our shipping tubes, the longest rack we can ship assembles to 122" which is about 12" shorter than our "full length" rack. The nice thing about the 8020 is that you won't neccesarily be constrained by standard kayak J mounts, id guess you could fit at least 10 kayaks fairly easily.

Edit to clarify: I fit 4 flat water boats on their sides on my 8020 rack which is only 46" wide, our standard racks are 60" wide

Chris explained that to me and I totally get it. I'm just saying why not make the lengthwise end 2 parts with a set of joiner plates, add another tower, and extend it full length. That would meet the shipping criteria, and from there you could even make a full length LB rack that would fit UPS shipping too.

I'd think that would add a lot more value to the end user. For $1700 (current cost) + shipping I'd like to not have to extend it on my own. I'll be taking 14+ demos to whitewater festivals, and moving ~10 at a time multiple times on weekends.

Just a thought. If not I'd still order it as is I guess.

Alex

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris explained that to me and I totally get it. I'm just saying why not make the lengthwise end 2 parts with a set of joiner plates, add another tower, and extend it full length. That would meet the shipping criteria, and from there you could even make a full length LB rack that would fit UPS shipping too.

I'd think that would add a lot more value to the end user. For $1700 (current cost) + shipping I'd like to not have to extend it on my own. I'll be taking 14+ demos to whitewater festivals, and moving ~10 at a time multiple times on weekends.

Just a thought. If not I'd still order it as is I guess.

Alex

That is what we do, cut the side rails in 2 so they fit in the 60" tube. The middle foot and top plate joins them together so its all solid.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Ha ha always that one guy....!

:wings:

Got a question. I'd imagine you did a bunch of research on tires/wheels when setting on your combos of choice. If I wanted something in a 37" tire, what do you think has the best selection while keeping economy in mind, for the wheel diameters? 17", 18", etc.

I'm not sure I want to stay with the militaries, but I do want to stay with a true(-ish) 37" tire.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Chris, wanted to thank you for your help this week getting squared away on the 4x4 conversion. It took me and one of our mechanics working an average of 5 hours a day, so we were closer to 50 hours than your estimate of 40 hours - but we probably had at least 10 hours of head scratching time as we read the instructions, etc which you wouldn't have to do.

Between Monday and Friday we were able to get everything done except for the drive shafts and the parking brake extension. Drive shaft guy pushed us out to next week, and the parking brake part is on order.

Other than the UJOR parts, we had to buy drive shafts (tbd), parking brake extension (~$20), pay a TIG welder to modify the fuel tank ($160), and pay the powder coater ($100). Also, because I was an idiot and damaged the oil filter assembly we had to buy a new one (~$100), but I'm not counting that in the build cost since it was my error.

Key shop tools to have are the plasma cutter and MIG welder. Other than the fuel tank the rest of the welding is pretty easy. I suppose it would be possible to do the conversion without a plasma cutter, but I don't think I would want to.

The biggest PITA is drilling those 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch holes.

Driveshafts took a while longer than I would have hoped, but there just aren't a lot of folks that build driveshafts anymore so the ones that do stay really busy - we're lucky to have one in town.

For those keeping track, the custom driveshafts (double cardon, all new components) ran ~$1700 installed.

5nto67G.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
:wings:

Got a question. I'd imagine you did a bunch of research on tires/wheels when setting on your combos of choice. If I wanted something in a 37" tire, what do you think has the best selection while keeping economy in mind, for the wheel diameters? 17", 18", etc.

I'm not sure I want to stay with the militaries, but I do want to stay with a true(-ish) 37" tire.

For your rig I'd recommend the Toyo MT for its weight rating. ~4500 lbs ea if my memory is correct.

Driveshafts took a while longer than I would have hoped, but there just aren't a lot of folks that build driveshafts anymore so the ones that do stay really busy - we're lucky to have one in town.

For those keeping track, the custom driveshafts (double cardon, all new components) ran ~$1700 installed.

5nto67G.jpg

Looks great! Thats too much $$ in my opinion, I'm trying out a new supplier that has much better pricing and they're quick too. And they'll ship.

I know..... too late for this info! I've been toying with mail order shafts for a long time, maybe I need to gat that ball rolling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz