UJOR Build Thread

Wood Kutter

Observer
I'm always a bit suspicious of websites that photoshop the snot out of stuff to look "cool". Love the in-depth reporting too. "As far as we know, both diffs sport ARB lockers!"

never fear "most of the lift comes from its 46-inch tyres, so the suspension and handling are not compromised."

How do you bolt on 46 inch tires without lifting the suspension?

Artic Trucks has been around for quite a few years. This is what they build, trucks for the snow. No photoshopping.

DzlToy

Explorer
It appears there is at least some suspension engineering on a new Tacoma. Arctic Trucks has been building cool stuff for decades and yes they cut the snot out of the body to fit large tires, though there are some suspension mods as well. I have a video somewhere of an F-350 being built in their shop. I will see if I can find it and re-post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJsLVtkmz0c

SHAFT

Observer
Didn't plan on it but I can. I ran a ton of ram assists back in the day, only a few on vans. For your brakes I would recommend the SSBC calipers & rotors, whats up with your steering?
just your typical super duty steering play. Not from the kit, it's always been a bit crap. not intolerable, but definitely has room for improvement. i think it's in the column or maybe the shaft that runs to the steering box though i'm really just guessing. everything after the pitman arm is tight.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So, we don't do interiors. :) Good customer of ours just picked up a new Quigley Transit and wanted the interior setup for his specific needs so I said yes. His son races bikes all over the country, everything from MTB to cyclecross so the van needs to be easily reconfigurable. He even has a trainer in the van for winter races, this Transit has a ton of room. They didn't want to be removing wheels and doesn't want hitch carrier. We added the flooring, 12v & USB chargers for the pass seat too.

16425834_1439915876027636_2355882046610661880_n.jpg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm sure it wasn't easy!
And I didn't know there was a formula for sizing airfilters either...
impressive.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Chris, wanted to thank you for your help this week getting squared away on the 4x4 conversion. It took me and one of our mechanics working an average of 5 hours a day, so we were closer to 50 hours than your estimate of 40 hours - but we probably had at least 10 hours of head scratching time as we read the instructions, etc which you wouldn't have to do.

Between Monday and Friday we were able to get everything done except for the drive shafts and the parking brake extension. Drive shaft guy pushed us out to next week, and the parking brake part is on order.

Other than the UJOR parts, we had to buy drive shafts (tbd), parking brake extension (~$20), pay a TIG welder to modify the fuel tank ($160), and pay the powder coater ($100). Also, because I was an idiot and damaged the oil filter assembly we had to buy a new one (~$100), but I'm not counting that in the build cost since it was my error.

Key shop tools to have are the plasma cutter and MIG welder. Other than the fuel tank the rest of the welding is pretty easy. I suppose it would be possible to do the conversion without a plasma cutter, but I don't think I would want to.

The biggest PITA is drilling those 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch holes.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, wanted to thank you for your help this week getting squared away on the 4x4 conversion. It took me and one of our mechanics working an average of 5 hours a day, so we were closer to 50 hours than your estimate of 40 hours - but we probably had at least 10 hours of head scratching time as we read the instructions, etc which you wouldn't have to do.

Between Monday and Friday we were able to get everything done except for the drive shafts and the parking brake extension. Drive shaft guy pushed us out to next week, and the parking brake part is on order.

Other than the UJOR parts, we had to buy drive shafts (tbd), parking brake extension (~$20), pay a TIG welder to modify the fuel tank ($160), and pay the powder coater ($100). Also, because I was an idiot and damaged the oil filter assembly we had to buy a new one (~$100), but I'm not counting that in the build cost since it was my error.

Key shop tools to have are the plasma cutter and MIG welder. Other than the fuel tank the rest of the welding is pretty easy. I suppose it would be possible to do the conversion without a plasma cutter, but I don't think I would want to.

The biggest PITA is drilling those 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch holes.

Excellent, from the pics everything looks nice! Be sure to post some pics of it sitting on all 4.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
B190 touch down! Few little items left, just added Aluminess bumpers to the build, delivery in 1 week!

16640572_1444759818876575_3732148315639588052_n.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Didn't plan on it but I can. I ran a ton of ram assists back in the day, only a few on vans. For your brakes I would recommend the SSBC calipers & rotors, whats up with your steering?

SHAFT, if Chris/UJOR is out of stock currently, I have brand new-in-box SSBC calipers/rotors/2 pad sets I bought from UJOR, for sale. PM me if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online