Tuffstuff Trailer???

thebigez

What brand is it? Have you measured the output?

I am thinking off adding a portable panel to my trailer as well.

I believe it came from www.continuousresources.com. I have not had a chance to really test it - since we have had rain / snow every single weekend since I got it. Hopefully this weekend will be the weekend. I had a similar one for my pop up trailer and it worked great.

bshinn

I'm having a difficult time finding BSP to NPT adapters for the water and gas lines, i'll just keep hunting. I have concerns about the exhaust from the heater damaging the pelican case. Did you shield or insulate the top of the case at all?

thebigez

I found adapters at Eriks House of Hose in Utah. https://eriksna.com/en/ I did some tests on the heat - and it does not get that hot - I think because it only runs for short periods of time and there is enough space at the top to dissipate the heat with the door open. But i will keep and eye on it - and if starts to get too warm I'll build a heat deflector on top.

thebigez

Update: The 1/2 NPT Female to 1/4 NPT Male is available on Amazon. Search for: TEKTON 4734 1/2-Inch NPT Female by 1/4-Inch Male Reducer.

thebigez

Here are a couple of pictures of the pump I use to get water from my two 5 gallon jerry cans to the main tank. You can find them on Ebay or Amazon - they are designed to pump water from the typical 5 gallon round water bottles. They run on 2 D cells.

Mine came with a longer spout that I cut down and added a piece of flexible tubing.

thebigez

I tried adding 4 mountain bikes to the rear hitch. The combined weight of the bike rack plus the bikes reduced my overall tongue weight to about 100 pounds. Since I like to have my tongue weight about 10-15% of the overall trailer weight, I was concerned having this much weight on the back. This weight included both the main tank and 10 gallons of extra water. To solve this I removed 2 of the 4 bike carriers and U bolted them to the front of the trailer. My original bike rack only held 2 bikes, but I purchased an extension that allowed me to bolt on another 2 bike carriers - so it was easy to take apart. It ended up working out perfectly. I got my tongue weight back to where I wanted it and the bikes were very stable. I have thought about adding a basket up front to carry firewood, chairs, etc.

bshinn

Update: The 1/2 NPT Female to 1/4 NPT Male is available on Amazon. Search for: TEKTON 4734 1/2-Inch NPT Female by 1/4-Inch Male Reducer.

None of the fittings on my Campmore are NPT, they're all BSP thread and I can't find FBSP to 1/4 MNPT adapter anywhere.

I got tired of waiting for the Smittybilt trailer I had on order....so I canceled that order and got one of these. Picked it up in Santa Ana over the weekend. I'm planning on doing a review thread on it, but so far its looking good. We towed it home without issues (550 miles).
Some small issues, but most of them are me just being uber picky.
All the electrical works fine, including the solar controller. Got the 100W panels from Harbor Freight. All 4 panels fit in the top storage area above the battery.
Fit and finish is pretty good. I havent found anything upsetting yet.
Here are a few pics...
View attachment 480877
View attachment 480878
View attachment 480879
View attachment 480880

For scale, I am towing it with an FJ Cruiser.
It has pretty much the same same track as the FJ. I can tell it is there up hills, but flat and level is fine.
It does have a ton of storage, and the slides are decently heavy duty. I sat on the fully extended rear drawer and it doesnt seem to mind (200lbs).
The built in lighting is nice. And all the wiring in the box is protected behind panels (removable) or run through the tubing.

Some quick notes:
It comes with 5on5 hubs.
It comes with a basic lug wrench.
If you get the trailer/tent combo (no annex), you get the folding awning mount. If you already have a tent with awning (like me), you get the riser bars and fixed awning mount.
The only drawer/door that doesnt lock is the under tent storage drawer.

Ill do a full review thread as soon as I can.
NV
Hi, does it fit in your garage with a tent? Do you know the dimensions from the ground to the top of the rack? Thanks

bshinn

Not sure about the Tuff Stuff, but the Crux will easily fit in a standard garage. Without the Rack, the tent when folded is about 5'9" off the deck or so. Rack would add 8-10".

thebigez

My Tuff Stuff fits in the garage no problem. I have a Tepui XL mounted to the rack which makes the highest point 7' from the ground. I raised the rack about 4" from the lowest position so that the bottom of the tent is 6' high - which allows room for the annex room underneath. 7' would be the maximum height - but you could easily drop that about 12 - 24" depending on how / if you add a tent on top.

bshinn

Could you post some images of the tent and rack please? I'm pretty sure I'm going to ditch the tent my Crux came with and put a 23Zero or Tepui up there and am looking for ideas.

Thansk

thebigez

Here is the rack. I think this is standard on the Tuff Stuff if you don't get the tent. The tent is high enough that it does not block the view through my rear view mirror. 521308 I don't have any first-hand experience, but I have heard the tent style that the Crux comes with take a bit of time to set up / take down.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Could someone take a couple of pictures of the spare tire mounting? I'm thinking perhaps the same could be done with the Smittybilt. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles