Traversing the US (and back)

mph

Expedition Leader
Great pics...I wish I would have known u were in the area. I used to live in JH. There r many ways to keep away from people:). Remind me next time u r in the area. I'll show u the goods:)

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great additions to the thread. Love the contrast of the sad face out the window and the picture in the pool. I can relate to feeling out of place with all the people and traffic. I always avoid a lot of people and pricey places. I prefer city parks and rec centers.

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 53: Outside Jackson, Wy. to Wind Rivers

Alright. I'm sorry for the break and I'm back at it now even though there isn't much left!

We woke up to sunny skies but they turned overcast before we left the campsite. As I did most mornings, I popped the hood and went through my fluids and bolts checklist. I like to check air pressure, important nuts and bolts and fluids on a daily basis to catch any problems as early as possible. When you are living in a car everyday, when it's your home, you get tuned-in in to what's going on with it. Anyway, this morning when I popped the hood there was a small field mouse standing on my cleaning rag that I keep under the hood. As light entered the engine bay that mouse nonchalantly looked at me from his perch on my oily rag and munched some morsel contemplatively. He obviously had no business being in there and I began imagining worst case scenarios in my head, counting how many wires he could have chewed through and how many lights might not work now. I yelled at him and started banging on the body panels. He took off down into the engine and I hoped that he hopped out but couldn't be sure.; If he was still in there I felt certain he would run for his life when I started the engine.

DSC02707.jpg DSC02714.jpg

We drove along the Grey River which was not as grey as the clouds. There were plenty of fisherman along the banks and camping nearby but it did not seem crowded.

DSC02717(2).jpg DSC02725(2).jpg

The scenery was pretty but resembled many river valleys that we had already passed through. I always enjoyed the first few hours of driving in the morning. The weather was always cooler, the light wasn't harsh or washing out the landscape yet and the kids were most often happy and able to entertain themselves. This morning was no different though it was colder than normal - no open windows.

DSC02727(2).jpg DSC02731(2).jpg

I remember that there were many steep side trails through this area that looked prime for two-wheeled exploration. But we kept to the main road, passing few other people and watching the clouds darken.

DSC02736(2).jpg DSC02748(2).jpg

It wasn't long before we encountered two very rare sights - a small strip of pavement leading nowhere in the middle of a gravelly and dusty valley and rain. We could count on one hand the number of times we'd seen rain and so, even surrounded by grey storm clouds, we were surprised when rain started falling.

After some quick miles on the Grey River road we turned east onto a smaller side road that headed up into and eventually over the Bridger Mountains. The scenery became spectacular as we gained altitude. The light was great as the rain would clear and the sun shine for a few minutes in between the strong showers.

DSC02750(2).jpg DSC02752(2).jpg

jessejman

Adventurer

DSC02754(2).jpg DSC02759.jpg

We were chasing the storm as it also moved east. As we slowly climbed the wet roads, the storm overtook us and moved ahead. But as we summited the mountain range and began to pick up speed in that high valley, we caught back up with the rain.

DSC02761(2).jpg DSC02765(2).jpg

These photos are deceiving because they look as if they could have been taken on different days. They were taken all within an hour's time. The weather changed dramatically and quickly.

DSC02770(2).jpg DSC02772(2).jpg

The wet roads provided a fun change of pace to driving on dry, dusty gravel.

DSC02777.jpg DSC02779(2).jpg

The first photo above is looking east into the storm and the direction we were traveling. The second photo is from nearly the same time looking north.

DSC02780(2.jpg DSC02783(2.jpg

jessejman

Adventurer

DSC02785.jpg DSC02786(2.jpg

We descended slowly out of the mountains and into a transit stage from the Bridger Mountains to the Wind River range further to the east. as we left BLM land and started back into open plains, we ran into some wildlife.

DSC02789(2.jpg DSC02792(2.jpg

These antelope were feeding after the rain had passed through and we were able to get pretty close to them.

DSC02793(2.jpg DSC02795(2.jpg

It was neat to let the kids pile up at the window and watch them eat for a few minutes. When they started to spook and move away, I was able to turn them with a whistle and they stayed a bit longer.

DSC02802(2.jpg DSC02804(2).jpg

We moved on through the relatively flat and dry transit stage between the mountains. The roads straightened out and we were able to move at a good clip.

DSC02810(2.jpg DSC02811(2.jpg

To the north the skies were sunny and ahead, well, we were still chasing the storm.

40tude

Adventurer
Again...thanks for seeing this through.

About your vehicle checklist, what bolts did you find loosening up? We have the same truck, and I would love to know about potential culprits.
Thanks

jessejman

Adventurer
About your vehicle checklist, what bolts did you find loosening up? We have the same truck, and I would love to know about potential culprits.
Thanks

The fluids were my main concern but I'm in the habit of checking all the clamps in the coolant system and the air intake system. My rubber air-intake tube cracked like many do and I replaced it with 3" pvc thinking it would be a temporary fix. That was more than a year ago and I it's doing the job just fine. However the large pipe clamps that connect to cleaner and throttle body loosen over time. Also when I did the PHH I didn't use the golden constant torque clamps. I just used nice, wide-band stainless clamps. I've found that they also loosen over time. I've even gone through the trouble to check the clamp that's down near the block and fairly hard to get to. That's the main stuff I guess and just a good visual inspection goes a long way. -Jesse

jessejman

Adventurer

The landscape changed again as we crossed the long plain between those two massive ranges. We plowed through some fast gravel and did a short highway stretch into a small town for gas.

We were getting good at finding lunch spaces. We pulled the town park up on googlemaps and gave the kids some time to play. Th skies were beginning to clear but it was still very windy.

Through this section we worked hard to stay on some preserved Emigrate Trails. We weren't on the Oregon Trail, I think we were on the Lander Cut-off. I will mention that it was completely unclear whether or not we were supposed to be driving on these trails. There was no signage though it was clear that people had driven on them before us. They seemed to be meandering dirt paths that paralleled other 'main' gravel roads.

DSC02812(2.jpg DSC02813(2.jpg

DSC02818(2.jpg DSC02824.jpg

DSC02825.jpg DSC02833.jpg

DSC02841(2).jpg DSC02842(2).jpg

DSC02843(2).jpg DSC02847(2).jpg

Still chasing the storm east where it thundered over the Wind River Range.

jessejman

Adventurer

DSC02849(2).jpg

Almost back in the mountains!

DSC02850(2).jpg DSC02857(2).jpg

Wind River Range - west side of Cirque of the Towers.

DSC02858(2).jpg DSC02861.jpg

DSC02865(2).jpg DSC02867.jpg

The approach via Big Sandy Road.

DSC02871(2).jpg DSC02874.jpg

The meadow we 'dispersed' camped in for free.

DSC02876(2).jpg

And my wife finally got some alone time after a tough run up into the mountains alone. That was a big step for her and, luckily, she didn't even get eaten by a bear. I think that I'd already fed the kids and they were still playing in a nearby creek. I promise she wasn't mad at me.

Not a bad spot to have dinner, eh?

jonharis

Jesse-
What a great adventure. Just spent well over an hour catching up on your trip. I envy what you and your great family have done. Way back in post #81 Our time together came up. You mentioned not having any pics, and I admit I was remiss for never getting them to you. her you go, working on the wanky wheel bearings in the garage till ungodly hours on a school night :). One of the highlights of my Land Cruiser days, truly the best community of vehicle enthusiasts on the planet!

Big thanks to TheThom for reminding me about this thread.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

jessejman

Adventurer
Day 1153: Heading back out in three weeks!!!!

Well, back in '12 we did make it home and much to my embarrassment I never actually completed this report. Jon's emergency help with the wheel bearings lasted until this year when I finally rebuilt the front end with new hub assemblies.

One week of exams and then the planning and preparation begins in earnest. This summer we have five weeks to work with and have a slightly different set of goals. We are going to stay mostly in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho and spend more time in places we like. I suppose that means less miles covered by vehicle and more exploring by foot or bicycle but we will, of course, be seeking out those far and out-of-the-way places.

Feel free to suggest favorite areas or campsites and, if you can, to come camp with us!

In the following days I'll post some of our preparations and also fill you in on a few shorter trips we've taken in the past three years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior