Transporting a kayak question

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I used to kayak and canoe all the time, really miss that. Should get back to it.

this book was written by a really good friend of mine, a great winter read for those who like the water and a good adventure tale.
he has done some amazing things in kayaks, not the least of which was a solo trip in the late 80’s beginning on the red river of the north into lake Winnipeg and all the way down the Mississippi to Vicksburg.
if I recall, this book picks up on the next leg of that trip which went from MS to the Florida keys and beyond.

I did too, I used to do a lot of white water and general multi-day adventure trips in my twenties but then we all started moving away and getting more heavily into other hobbies. We started flirting with it again recently with some over night trips and the Devils River multi-day a few months back and it has reignited the fire for a few of us. It's something a lot of our buddies can still justify doing at this point in their lives as it's not extremely physically taxing and the cost to entry barrier is all relative to what you're willing to spend. I would like to invest in a 14-16' touring kayak that can carry a lot of gear for multi-day trips on the rivers here in Texas.

NOPEC

I did too, I used to do a lot of white water and general multi-day adventure trips in my twenties but then we all started moving away and getting more heavily into other hobbies. We started flirting with it again recently with some over night trips and the Devils River multi-day a few months back and it has reignited the fire for a few of us. It's something a lot of our buddies can still justify doing at this point in their lives as it's not extremely physically taxing and the cost to entry barrier is all relative to what you're willing to spend. I would like to invest in a 14-16' touring kayak that can carry a lot of gear for multi-day trips on the rivers here in Texas.

At north of age 70, we are still able to do wilderness paddling trips because of not having to carry stuff on our backs very often. Having a background in climbing, backpacking, cycle touring, etc., really helps with kayaking trips at our age because, one; you probably have much of the needed gear laying around in your basement already and, two; you are probably already used to hard days, aches and pains and general short term discomfort from previous pursuits, knowing very well that these go away pretty quickly. The physical discomfort gets a bit more acute as you age but still well worth it!! We did a 1000 kilometer prairie river trip this summer and were noticeably physically stronger and lighter at the end, never a bad thing!! Here is a pic. As far as kayaks, you are right on with your size choice. We are good for easily 3 weeks between re-supplies, excluding water. Our boats are fairly hi-tec 15.5 ABS plastic. The NZ manufactured C-Tug wheels you see in the photo are gold for senior citizen portagers!!!!

P1010065.JPG

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
You guys make my kayak look like a toy (10' Pelican). I'd love to do a multi-day trip. Mine's good for day trip paddling though.

I prefer to carry the kayak upside down so if it rains I'm not collecting water inside.

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles