Trans Labrador Highway and other places of interest 2010

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
How would you lift something UP to the higher water level? It would seem that you'd need something heavier pushing down on the other lift gate, or am I missing something.

-

articulate

Expedition Leader
What a cool trip. You two did it all! Great pictures and a really inspiring trip all around.

Love this one:
DSC03176-1.jpg

The research i've done showed me the highest you can go is Esker, a small train stop. Going west after churchill you should have seen a branch going north west. This road take about 3-4 hours up to esker, Esker is about 80 km from Shefferville. Only way to shefferville is By train.

Awesome tripp you did, were there alot of flies, up there?

There has been some debat about this. This is what my research shows.
Esker N53 53.012
End or Orma Lake Road N54 25.801

source: MetroGuide Canada V4

The flies will eat you alive.

eleblanc

Adventurer
Oups looks like you are correct, but Esker is much closer to schefferville, but useless since you can't get there anyway.

The road seem to continu higher from where you stoped tho?
EDIT: i just saw you didn'T reach the end of the road!

There has been some debat about this. This is what my research shows.
Esker N53 53.012
End or Orma Lake Road N54 25.801

source: MetroGuide Canada V4

The flies will eat you alive.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
What a great trip, I'm jealous!:elkgrin: No Newfoundland for us for awhile so it's nice to viisit vicariously through your trip report.

Oh...you didn't miss anything by getting a cabin on the ferry. Last time we were heading over to the Rock we had a bunch of drunken Quebecians singing French ditties all night in the adjacent cabin while the ferry was travelling through some rough water. Enough so that we spent the evening listening to the ferry crash into the waves as we were tossed about in our bunks. While none of us got much sleep, it was sort of fun.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice trip! Finally had a chance to get the 'ol laptop up and online to view it all. Love the first people in North America to see the sunrise bit. Good stuff. Looks like the rolled semi just happend, the lights were still on! Did you stop? Makes me look forward to getting up there sometime for sure, the other recent Newfoundland/Labrador report also got me salivating.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think this trip should qualify for the new Trip of the Month contest starting August 1st...even if it was in July...we'll make an exception...

:)

scarysharkface

Explorer
Also enjoyed your trip report. I've got something similar in mind as soon as I can get out of here. Do they allow you to stay in your RV ? with your dog ?

On the ferry? That is verboten. Nobody on the vehicle decks while the boat is in-motion for both safety and security.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Yup - dogs go to the kennel, people are supposed to go to the gift shop.

NICE WRITEUP!!!!!

Your pics are MUCH BETTER than mine - fantastic. :wings:

We passed each other along the road somewhere!
We started out June 30 and did the loop clockwise. Back home July 17th. I wonder where we crossed paths? We only saw 3 other Americans in Newfoundland and only one in Labrador. The place is mostly empty. Loved it.

I hope your popup seals better than ours did - I spent one night outside Lab City standing over my sleeping son killing black flies and mosquitoes before they could land on him. The poor kid was dripping blood - don't tell my wife ;0)

We;re planning on trying to get back up there next summer - you?

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles