Traditional Tent vs Canvas Tent INFO PLEASE

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
yeah I always set mine up before a trip. yesterday I bought 4 adjustable tent poles from walmart, some decent 3/16 rope and some super heavy duty tent stakes. along with my tarp i set up a stellar shade/ wind block. staked down one end, pole in center and up about 7 ft, last set of poles were about 6.5 ft and it is just about perfect. My tarp is brown on one side and silver on the other. set up with silver up and I swear it was 10 maybe 15 degrees cooler under it. Might buy one more set of stakes and a little more rope as the tarp i have it frickin long. I think about 20ish ft. x about 12 wide.

almost to bad your way down in the OC. We have a toyotas only trip going in june across squaw ridge/ pardoe trail. south east of sacramento.

Honu

lost on the mainland
curious why no oztents etc... ???

asking serious :) not trolling I have never had one ? but have had lots of other normal tents and now with a family etc.. the easy setup seems very cool idea of not having to mess with things as much !

would love to hear a more detailed pros cons list of why you dont like hub style tents like the oz etc..

thanks :) I am thinking of a oztent to ad onto our trailer as it will make a extra room and they seem to work with the trailer I have quite well from another post I saw so that is why I want more info before I pull the trigger on one

Robert - Get the Base Camp 6 lol. I like canvas but only if i am in one place for a week or more. no Turbo Tents or OZ tents which are just another hubb style tent. sort of a remake of all those hubb family tents made 4-5 years ago. I think your in the right track with the Base Camp 6.

barlowrs

Explorer
yeah I always set mine up before a trip. yesterday I bought 4 adjustable tent poles from walmart, some decent 3/16 rope and some super heavy duty tent stakes. along with my tarp i set up a stellar shade/ wind block. staked down one end, pole in center and up about 7 ft, last set of poles were about 6.5 ft and it is just about perfect. My tarp is brown on one side and silver on the other. set up with silver up and I swear it was 10 maybe 15 degrees cooler under it. Might buy one more set of stakes and a little more rope as the tarp i have it frickin long. I think about 20ish ft. x about 12 wide.

almost to bad your way down in the OC. We have a toyotas only trip going in june across squaw ridge/ pardoe trail. south east of sacramento.

Hmm shoot me the details, I grew up in nor cal, so its not unheard of for me to make my way up past sacramento. Might be something I can try to shoot for.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
curious why no oztents etc... ???

asking serious :) not trolling I have never had one ? but have had lots of other normal tents and now with a family etc.. the easy setup seems very cool idea of not having to mess with things as much !

would love to hear a more detailed pros cons list of why you dont like hub style tents like the oz etc..

thanks :) I am thinking of a oztent to ad onto our trailer as it will make a extra room and they seem to work with the trailer I have quite well from another post I saw so that is why I want more info before I pull the trigger on one

For a trailer setup I suppose it would not be that bad but I have seen to many hubbs break in the wind to care for them. I do not care for the turbo tents because of the lack of thought put into it for year round use. If all you dois play in the desert then the turbo is fine. I spend about 70% of my outdoor time in the woods or on the coast were wind and rain are a major factor.
As for the OZ tents, dude the price is so ridiculous i can not even fathom spending that kind of money to save 5 minutes of setup time. I can buy a full 4 season completely comfortable in any situation tent for 500-700 and spend the other $400+ on other gear i might need.

Vapor_Trails

I don't see how a tent like that could survive 60+MPH winds on a mountaintop.
I'm not sure about 60MPH mountain top winds but if you're planning on camping in those conditions you aren't looking at $400 tents. I can say that My Kodiak Canvas 10x10 stood up quite nicely in 30+ desert winds unlike the REI Base Camp 4 pictured below (user review on REI website):

7334729_62589_full.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
That's what happens when you do not have the proper stakes in loose rocky soil. I have a lot of experience with both canvas and dome tents. One of my first upgrades on any tent I buy is to replace the stakes. Canvas tents are great. Usually with higher dollar canvas tents have a frame structure that is extremly capable of high winds (35+) when combined with adaquate guylines. The same can be said of dome tents. I generally will not buy a tent fiberglass poles. Guylines are usually garbage on these tents. A small mildly rigid cord with a weight rating of maybe 10lbs. Change this out with a 25+lb. Rope and it will be much better. If your looking for a tent capable of 60mph winds cabelas xwt extreme. The only tent to my knowledge under $1000 that can handle 75mph winds without problem. Other such 4 season tents for 6+ people can run as high as $5000 and are intended as a base camp in very extreme conditions.

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks for feedback :)
good brain food for sure
being a normal tent guy my whole life I have no real experience with the turbo types :)

For a trailer setup I suppose it would not be that bad but I have seen to many hubbs break in the wind to care for them. I do not care for the turbo tents because of the lack of thought put into it for year round use. If all you dois play in the desert then the turbo is fine. I spend about 70% of my outdoor time in the woods or on the coast were wind and rain are a major factor.
As for the OZ tents, dude the price is so ridiculous i can not even fathom spending that kind of money to save 5 minutes of setup time. I can buy a full 4 season completely comfortable in any situation tent for 500-700 and spend the other $400+ on other gear i might need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior