Tracker vs Sidekick vs Samurai TOAD......

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have plenty of tow capacity. Its a 2011 superduty.
The 3k limit is the limit I set myself for flat-towing a TOAD, with or without brakes.

And ultimately, Im looking to stay under that. Hence the tracker/sidekick/sami discussion.

Keeping it light makes things all the better when towing. Better road manners, on and off road, and better MPG.
2-3k behind this rig and it wouldn't even notice it, except on some of our nasty 7%+ grades around here.

motorman

bear with me for my diatribe
we have a 160 farm / ranch in N GA
the ground is pretty rough over about 35 ac and we had previously used kubota RTV's as our get around vehicles as walking or riding goats were the only option
their cost was prohibitive
under-powered
drank fuel like an irishman
BUT
the 4x4 was great and a light footprint

my sons were starting to drive and i bought the suzuki sidekick as a 'test' about 5 years ago for $2400 in very good condition
the boys drove it for a year and maint costs were zero after the initial service of all fluids

took it to the farm and drove it up the back hill against the fence line over a rough trail in street tires
placed both kubotas for sale the following week
sold them both and made $$ on the deals, and they were happy to pay me for the units!

bought the tracker already lifted OME and the large tires for $2000

heat is great
AC in the suzuki is great
4 wheel low will go anywhere on our place with the tracker
20k ac WMA is nearby and my kids have taken the tracker all over those trails too

suzuki needs tires, bald street tires dont do well in the snow but fine for general duty

ZERO add maint . . . until im shooting my mouth off now
these are farm vehicles used every week hauling fuel, people, stones . . . and and and

im always looking for another good one
true framed vehicle
divorced transfer case
super light footprint not tearing up the pastures
do not like the front tran-saxle and 2" is really the max lift the cheap way BUT i have never had trouble with the front axle
would love a SAS on a 4 door w/ a 1.6 NA VW motor . . .
interior door handles are the weak link. just keep a couple spares it is only one screw and 3-4 min to replace

any questions feel free to ask

IMG_20200208_093200-min.jpg

20200607_151329-min.jpg

sourdoughben

I have plenty of tow capacity. Its a 2011 superduty.
The 3k limit is the limit I set myself for flat-towing a TOAD, with or without brakes.

And ultimately, Im looking to stay under that. Hence the tracker/sidekick/sami discussion.

Keeping it light makes things all the better when towing. Better road manners, on and off road, and better MPG.
2-3k behind this rig and it wouldn't even notice it, except on some of our nasty 7%+ grades around here.
You are underestimating the tow capabilities of a V10 gas or diesel Superduty IMHO. My Ram 3500 Cummins weighs 11,000 lbs. and tows my 5,000 lb JLR like it isn't there. A 2 MPG lose and rolls 55 MPH easy up the steepiest interstate grades. You'll need auxiliary breaking on the toad for most states. I have Blue Ox's tow system and never had an issue yet in over 25,000 miles towing. 1Ton diesels are brutes.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Alright guys,

Ive got a pretty good idea of what Im after now, and what's what for what's currently available.

Currently eying a couple of Trackers, both 5-speed 2-door soft tops, first one a '95 that needs some engine work, but otherwise very clean and the second being a 2000 with the 2.0, that runs great but "needs" cosmetic/body work.
I'm leaning towards the newer of the two, mainly for the higher output motor and creature comforts that come with the 2nd gen Tracker.

Both are up for sale right now locally for less than $1500.
I figure if I budget all in for $8k for the (re)build and mods, I should have a light weight, reliable, and off road capable TOAD.

Thoughts?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive got plenty of junk around, dont really need or want a "parts" rig.

But I did land a tracker. Went for the 2000.
Drug it home yesterday.

Rolled it across the scales, 2600lbs WET
And I mean WET. The carpets must have weighed 150#
Completely soaked....
So first order of business was to gut the interior.

Cosmetically, its a heap. But mechanically its all there.
Remarkably, even with the water inside it, its rust free.
Just about perfect for the project at hand.... (y)

50633065563_79eb7517fe_b.jpg

billiebob

a bit of polishing compound, paint the grey parts below the belt line and the rims, only the grille will be a bit pricey.
Some of those little ents will just press out from the back side.
Has it got a roof?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, front soft top is intact.

Rear is not. And the trim pieces for these soft tops are unobtanium.

So Ill probably build fiberglass (removeable) hard tops for it.
Hard tops would be better for up here in the great white north anyhow :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94