Total Composites Slide In Camper Kits

USMC_07

Nice, but damn, 17K? Is that correct? Maybe I've got the price wrong. For that kind of money these should fit like a glove. I'm in manufacturing in another industry, so I know all about the manufacturing and logistic headaches that would create, but still. Add additional markets in the shop and cut additional sizes, your name is on the product and that gap over the cab **************************** and is unacceptable. It would cost you pennies on the dollar and a little thought on shop throughput to make it right. I think you have a good product and I'm certainly not knocking it, but you know what I'm saying here.

USMC_07

Ok, let me jump in here again before someone gets the wrong idea. I think the product from this company is very good, that's why I'm here. I'm looking for something like everyone else, so please understand my comments are constructive in nature. I work in the automotive world, we design and manufacture product for the service industry. I have been doing this for a very long time. The thing is we try to make common components when ever we can, just like everyone else. We will not however sacrifice functionality or aesthetics to do it. Why? Because our name is on it. It can be a logistical pain because OEMs will change sheet metal mid year and you can't rely on body builders books. And then of course there is manufacturing, quality, and shipping the product. If you are trying to manufacture lean or JIT, or unfortunately rely on another companies supply chain (we all do to some extent), that's even worse.

We are always invited to measure the upcoming model year change, and then changes are later made on the pre-production line before production. We often don't hear of these changes until vehicles are showing up at the dealers (or our installers) and we are already producing. Yes I know, but we can't wait, it's the nature of fleet ordering and the industry as a whole. The only chance you have is to make sure that the components that can and will come back to bite you are managed to a sustainable level, that is they are as low impact as possible (from both a financial and procurement perspective). Bake it into your business plan, it will happen. At Total Composites, you're kind of on easy street because who else is doing what you do on a meaningful level? When the market becomes congested, and it will, you will be struggling to market correct fitting kits for each model platform let alone model year changes. I can guarantee your competition will be doing it. Best wishes.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Nice, but damn, 17K? Is that correct? Maybe I've got the price wrong. For that kind of money these should fit like a glove. I'm in manufacturing in another industry, so I know all about the manufacturing and logistic headaches that would create, but still. Add additional markets in the shop and cut additional sizes, your name is on the product and that gap over the cab **************************** and is unacceptable. It would cost you pennies on the dollar and a little thought on shop throughput to make it right. I think you have a good product and I'm certainly not knocking it, but you know what I'm saying here.

Dimensions have been changed/updated to reduce the gap. Hence us being transparent and publishing the dimensions. Pictures above are our PROTOTYPES.

In any case, I appreciate your input and concerns. BUT please read through the details and see how we evolved and developed these campers. Sadly, we can't please everyone when it comes to design and features.
The price point is in line (or cheaper) with other less quality/insulated campers on the market. A lot of people compare our pricing with pop up campers... That's like comparing oranges with apples...
Then there is our competition that hit the mark with many consumers: Scout.
People are finally posting honest reviews about them. Ice build up on the interior and condensation on the corner extrusions as well as unfinished plywood and through bolts in the roof is not something I would be proud of. Those campers are higher priced than ours and sell like hot cakes. We are also lightweight compare to them (even if you consider the weight of materials to outfit them).

In any case, our team is extremely proud of these new campers and I'm sure that consumers know what will be important to them and will make their choices based on their needs and budget . There are plenty of options out there.

Ninelitetrip

Early days for this product. Changes will be made. The folks in Red Deer have made numerous tweaks to their slide in and flatbed models for 2021. They have also been very open to feedback, much of it here on this forum.

The folks in Oklahoma are trying their hand at something similar I believe. What I like with their path is that they have teamed up with someone to make flatpack interior modules to install. The Ikea method so to speak.

Three things I look forward to from TC. An 8 foot flatbed model. More dealers in the US, especially on the east coast. And flatpack interiors that can be assembled and installed either by the dealer, or buyer.

Keep it up Victorian, I think this is a winner.

ripperj

Explorer
/\ I’m holding out for the 8’ flatbed model also.. I don’t care about the flat pack interior, but I can see why some would find it attractive. North/ south sleeping is a must for me.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hellojava

/\ I’m holding out for the 8’ flatbed model also.. I don’t care about the flat pack interior, but I can see why some would find it attractive. North/ south sleeping is a must for me.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Earlier in the thread, Victorian posted a quote form you can use to get a price on a custom sized flatbed camper shell. There are plenty of individuals here who have built the 8’ TC flatbeds.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Nice, but damn, 17K? Is that correct? Maybe I've got the price wrong. For that kind of money these should fit like a glove..

I'm not sure if you've priced a shell model on anything equivalent, because, well, there ISN'T anything that even comes close to the quality of these shells in North America, you will understand that that is extremely fair. Roughly the price of a "kit" but without the labor of assembly? The gap is a little big but I'll want one like that so I can have a rack on there for when the camper is off. Seriously, I've been quoted $35-60k for a composite shell this month. And comparing to FWC, well there is not comparison. Isn't their shell more than $17k and its a tent top with antiquated aluminum frame construction. Their pricing goes up to $70k with bells and whistles.

Victorian

At less than 15 lb for the set of brush guards we think it’s worth the investment to protect your solar panels and skylight. These are offered as an accessories.
there is also a full roof rack system that will tie into the guards. perfect if you like to bring your kayak, canoe or mount a storage box.
1700228B-D6C8-413A-B39C-C651A69FC9FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 3CE545A0-7680-4EAE-80B6-987C15595109.jpeg
    3CE545A0-7680-4EAE-80B6-987C15595109.jpeg
    822.9 KB · Views: 33
Dimensions have been changed/updated to reduce the gap. Hence us being transparent and publishing the dimensions. Pictures above are our PROTOTYPES.

Great to see the final dimensions! If you can share what changed from the prototype that may help us evaluate the pictures with a more accurate lens.

FWIW I was hoping to have a bit more cab-over height than the 30”. I’m sure it’s a tricky thing to choose a size that fits the range of trucks you’re targeting but was hoping for a bit more of a chance to sit up in there.

————

As a comparison point I did come across Cave Campers who seem to be using very similar dimensions to TC:

1616198451579.jpeg

Their gallery may give a more accurate feel for the cab gap.

————

At less than 15 lb for the set of brush guards we think it’s worth the investment to protect your solar panels and skylight. These are offered as an accessories.
there is also a full roof rack system that will tie into the guards. perfect if you like to bring your kayak, canoe or mount a storage box.

Curious if you have a particular weight limit in mind for roof storage? Could I stand up there while parked?

twokitties67

Your campers look great. I think the weight and price are fine. The only thing I see wrong is that the examples extend past the tail lights. This limits the rear bumpers that you can have, no swing outs I bet.

Victorian

Great to see the final dimensions! If you can share what changed from the prototype that may help us evaluate the pictures with a more accurate lens.

FWIW I was hoping to have a bit more cab-over height than the 30”. I’m sure it’s a tricky thing to choose a size that fits the range of trucks you’re targeting but was hoping for a bit more of a chance to sit up in there.

————

As a comparison point I did come across Cave Campers who seem to be using very similar dimensions to TC:

View attachment 649156

Their gallery may give a more accurate feel for the cab gap.

————

Curious if you have a particular weight limit in mind for roof storage? Could I stand up there while parked?

bed space is 31” tall. Biggest changes:
we reduced the distance between truck and alcove by 2”. That’s a dimension we felt good about. We also increased the overall height due to a couple inches more headroom in the cab over. We also added a 7‘ version for the Tacoma .

Alloy

View attachment 649153

Bending vs. mitred would reduced the labor by 50%

Be stronger if the mounts were at the corners. Might add flanges to corner covers that allow the pipe to bolt on. This would reduce the number of holes in the box.... i.e. will hitting the pie 1,2,3,4 times cause the screw holes to leak.

Might also consider making the brackets from 1/8" and/or a 45-90 bend so they crumple vs. damaging the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles