Top Gear (again) and the cinder hill

After watching the episode yet again (compared to most things on TV, I'd rather watch a re-run of that vs. a re-run of the other crap), I began wondering about the cinder hill sequence and why the LR did so much better than the other vehicles going up it. It seemed to not have any issue in the loose stuff, where the Brute seemed to struggle more and just muscled it's way up. It obviously wasn't power, otherwise the Brute would have fared better. The FJ eventually did make it up but it struggled from the beginning. It's not like the LR is that much lighter, it's probably 1000lbs lighter than the Brute though. If it was weight, the FJ should have done better. Tires (and driving style) probably didn't help the Brute but it's not like Tanner was light on the throttle with the LR. I'm assuming no lockers in the FJ which was probably part of it's problem. Of course, the route up the hill could have been part of it too, it was hard to tell but it looked like the track the LR used was more compacted where the other 2 went up was very loose. Or, is the LR system that much better, and if so why/how?

jlandon

Get Dirty.
I would consider the shortcomings staged.

Though the FJC was equipped with the worst tires in the group.

It did have a rear locker and ATRAC.

Driver is also a big factor.

But as you noticed, the line they chose was an issue as well. When the FJC made it he was several yards to the right of his original line. The brute suffered from line choice as well but had the power and traction to overcome it. I think the LR made it so easily because of his line.

What, are you saying Top Gear is not the most factual, all knowledgeable source of information for all things automotive? That the trials and competitions are not spontaneous and all done in 1 take? I'm deeply troubled by this. At least there's still the Housewives of Beverly Hills and Atlanta to keep my trust in TV shows :)

Every so often, just maybe, it might be possible to gleam some real info out of the crap that is fed us.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I watched an "LR vs. Jeep" vid that showed how the LR with stock tires climbed up a rock/sand hill so much better than a Wrangler on 33's. Thanks to my functional brain, I was able to see that it was pretty much completely because the driver of the jeep picked the absolute worst line there was, and did everything he could to make it not go, while the LR took to the more level parts, where sand wasn't covering the rock. But of course the video just pointed to it all being the same hill, and suggested that we believe that the LR uses traction magic that no other car manufacturer has figured out.

Basically, there is no such thing as traction magic, or a gravity defeat mechanism, and a LR or other vehicle with limited flex and stock tires isn't going to do better in the rough than something with good tires and flex if you compare it fairly. LR's traction control is VERY good, but if you find yourself needing traction control, then you're out of flex or tire or both, and so already at a disadvantage.

Stop believing what you see on TV. Particularly on Top Gear. Their "shootouts" are ONLY for entertainment, not for actual comparisons. :)

Not meaning to offend LR purists. They do put together a good all-around vehicle, and seem to pay more attention to actual offroad capability than most of the other mfg's out there. From what I saw at OE14, the LR's Traction Control is EXCELLENT. (I used to be a calibrator for Traction Control Systems, so impressing me is not easy!) Suspension flex is nonexistent though, and I'll take flex over traction control EVERY TIME if I have a choice. :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Watching that episode and cringing through the entire thing, I wonder if anyone has ever told those guys about the concept of airing down the tires for proper use off road?!?!?!?!?!?

Scott Brady

Founder
The LR4 was better in the cinders. Mild all terrains, IFS/IRS, high-revving 385HP V8, 6-speed close ratio automatic and good weight distribution. Even after Tanner drove the hill, one of the producers (with no experience) also drove the LR4 to the top.

It is important to note that Overland Journal had NOTHING to do with this show beyond providing the vehicle. No sponsorship or payments were made to Top Gear. We had no input or control over the script or use of the vehicle. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior