Tires on Gen 3 - What are you running, how is the noise

nckwltn

Explorer
I have BFG all terrain on my 99 and nitto terra grappler's on my 03. The nittos are REALLY loud compared to my BFG, I would not buy the terra grapplers again because of the noise. it's so bad that I'm tempted to just replace the tires (1.5 years and 25k miles on them) for something else, and sell the used on craigslist.

it could also be related to sound isolation differences in the 99 to 03, but my 99 is pretty quite rolling down the freeway on 10.5" 33s

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I recently had a set of 265/75R16 BFGoodrich AT KO2s put on my '03 Montero. The previous owner had a cheap set of all-terrains on the rig when I bought it, and they were terribly loud (like driving down the road with a howler monkey on each corner of the vehicle). Compared to that noise level the KO2s are "barely there". I haven't had them on long so I don't know if they'll remain quiet, but from what I read and heard from other owners they are really hard to beat. Word is that if you rotate them properly (especially since the rear tires on the Montero have the negative camber they do) they'll remain quiet for many years to come.

plh

Explorer
I recently had a set of 265/75R16 BFGoodrich AT KO2s put on my '03 Montero. The previous owner had a cheap set of all-terrains on the rig when I bought it, and they were terribly loud (like driving down the road with a howler monkey on each corner of the vehicle). Compared to that noise level the KO2s are "barely there". I haven't had them on long so I don't know if they'll remain quiet, but from what I read and heard from other owners they are really hard to beat. Word is that if you rotate them properly (especially since the rear tires on the Montero have the negative camber they do) they'll remain quiet for many years to come.

This is where I'm leaning. like that statement about howler monkey... reminds me of the Falkens that I removed (in a bad remembrance kind of way)...

cnutco

Adventurer
BFG's KM2 255/85-16 (33"). Not quite, but I love them. Been 3 years on this set, fixing to purchase another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I have Toyo Open Country AT2's in 265/75/16 load range D on my '06 Montero (using 16" wheels from an earlier Gen 3 Montero). They have been excellent all-around, in snow, on dirt, gravel, somewhat soft sand, and on highway.

I have Yokohama Geolandar AT/S's in 265/75/16 load range D on my '03 G500 (using 16" Mercedes wheels I bought for the purpose). They have performed as well as the Toyo's, although I would say they are slightly quieter --- but then, that could be a difference in build of the truck (more sound deadening, etc).

I would choose either tire again for mixed use. They were similarly priced.

grandpa

On our 2001 we wanted a quite, comfortable, all weather tire and went with the Michelin LTX M/S2 in a P265/70R16. Our 2001 is 99% paved road use.

plh

Explorer
secondary question... 265 or 285/75R16? Who is running 285's? (gen 3) Any rub issue without a lift?

235/85R16 fill the wheel wells so nicely

IMG_20160425_202448.jpg

but skinny narrow!

IMG_20160425_201927.jpg

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Of the tires mentioned...

Michelin LTX & BFG Ko2 are the best. Quiet. Fantastic on road, snow, wet and off road.

Cooper tires are poor. I had a set. They roll hard. Meaning lots of Resistance. I ran 235/85R16 on my 2013 Tacoma (new at the time) with Firestone Destination MT it could get 18-20mpg on the road. Same size tires Cooper ST/Maxx it never got over 15mpg no matter the driving. Awful. They were noisier. Sidewall flex off road was poor. Snow traction was average. Had the right hand drift issue (same as Toyo MT).

Ko2 is my favorite tire. I've owned 3 sets now (3 different rigs). I've run most tires on the market. Typically buy 2+ sets per year.

KyleT

Explorer
I'm on the hunt for new tires for my 03. I have a set of 235's ltx at2's but they do look narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
bumping this up again, Adding the medium OME springs next week along with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, so will definately go for 285/75R16 tires on the 20th anniversary wheels.

Cooper AT3?

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Toyo Open Country AT/2 are my current front runners (planning on buying tires this month). I haven't really seen compelling arguments between the two of them.

Tread depot has the 6 ply Cooper for $132 and the Toyo for $156, very similar in basically every category.

One that popped up recently (today actually) is the Dean Back Country SQ-4. I was checking for the Les Schwab tire sale (I'm hoping they'll cut me a deal on Toyo's, because their standard price is ridiculous...) and apparently they're relatively new, pretty inexpensive, and seem to have at least the specs to be pretty nice. Other than that I couldn't find much about them.

RttH

Just put Cooper AT3 285/75/16 E rated on my 03 Montero. And OME Light duty front, medium duty rear. I am impressed with how quiet the tires are and the ride is just right! Stiffer ride now as the suspension is new, but improved. My noises come from drive line?? bad hum on the highway at 55mph +, but not from tires.

Had AT3 on previous 2000 Montero and really liked them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online