Thoughts....on what to do.

RPhil

Adventurer
I'm not in your shoes and I don't know all your situation but I'm going to tell you what I would do with your starting point. I'm going to assume all 3 vehicles are paid off.

First off, I'm keeping the FJ60 assuming there is the room for it, easy day.

Next off I sell that F150 since you are looking for something that would essentially replaces it. As much as I am an F150 fanboy those trucks [pre-2009s] are starting to show their age and aren't aging as well earlier trucks (think 9th generation and older). Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable with a timebomb like those 5.4s powering me around in the middle of nowhere.

The toss up for me is the LR3. If it was completely up to me I'd probably sell because as they age they will encounter more problems. I come from years and years of Land Rover ownership and I have a huge passion for it, but the LR3 doesn't quite do it for me like a D1 or RRC.

With those two vehicles out of your stable I would start looking for... You already mentioned an Excursion so I'll just roll with that. DO NOT BUY AN EXCURSION THAT HAS V10 IF YOU LIKE YOUR WALLET. DO NOT. Its not a bad vehicle and if you don't give a crap about MPG or cost then have at it. Instead I would look for (and be prepared to wait) for a 7.3 Excursion.

Alternatively you could look into Gen1 F250s with the 7.3L or the newer Gen3 with 6.7L. You'll be able to find all the things you're looking for (4x4, 4 door, not a Toyota) in those trucks. Gen1s will have tons of miles and will probably still have a 7.3 premium. You are smart to avoid the 6.0 but don't completely ignore the 6.4, from my limited knowledge is that they are easier to bulletproof that people like to give it credit for. Does it still have issues? Yep, sure does, but it shouldn't totally make you ignore a truck you otherwise like.

Agreed on keeping the FJ. Sell the F150 and LR3. Buy wife a cheap daily.

For the truck-

Ford still uses the same V10 that went into the Excursion (with some updates, of course). The few issues with the V10 from this era are well documented and easy to fix. Properly torque your spark plugs and replace the exhaust manifold studs with upgraded hardware. Having owned one for years, I would not hesitate to buy another V10 Excursion at all (if the price was right and it wasn't rusting away).

I may have misread but it looks like MPG isn't the biggest concern. All Excursions came with a 44 gallon tank. My best tank ever was 14.2 MPG on a highway trip. Usually I am closer to 11 with mixed driving.

If you have an astronomical budget, go ahead and wait for a 7.3 Excursion. The price for them is tremendous. Good luck finding a reasonably priced example that isn't rusting away.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would buy the best condition F250/F350 I could find from 2006-present to get the improved front radius arm suspension, depending on budget. Stay away from the 6.0 diesel (unless you know exactly what you are getting into). Stay away from the 6.4 diesel (even if you think you know what you're getting into...). Keep an eye out for the cleanest, newest example with the 6.2 V8 that fits into your budget. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 6.8 V10 either, personally. I would love an '08-'10 V10.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
Sadly keeping the FJ is really not an option. While I have poured a ton of cash into it getting it right, it has to go.
As for getting the Wife a commuter car, that will not fly. She is over due for something nice and happy wife happy life (even more so with my wife LOL)

6.0 I know well. I had one several years ago and while it never gave me any issues, it had been what they say bulletproofed. The 6.4 up until this week I knew nothing about. Now that I do, not a chance in hell would I get one.

While I would like an Excursion as I just like the looks of them, I have a feeling the F250/350 is the better choice in that size of a vehicle since I do not want a travel trailer.

The reality is this; If I am planning to use a camper, I either need to find a F150 with the payload package or update the suspension and take the risk or move up to a F250/F350 (350 is the better choice)
The 150 while large is nicer as a daily driver I feel. The 350 I had just felt huge in comparison. Plus I have hauled everything from cars to enclosed trailers with my F150.

Funny how things change, When I was 20 (I am 50 now) I had a 1985 F150, 2wd, 300/6, with the 4 speed manual and an 8' box. I put a 8.5' camper on it and drove it everywhere. I added solid rubber spring helpers and took it up forestry service and old logging roads with not so much as a problem and never getting stuck.
Now I am concerned with staying legal, making sure I have the right vehicle and keeping everyone safe.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Not sure you financial situation... But... My .02

I've been a Toyota guy my entire life and owned one of almost every series LC except the 55.

I found the 60 was cool looking, and that's about it.

It didn't really do much, if anything, well. It was under powered, drove like crap regardless how much you spend on suspension, huge rear overhang, parts are $$$, etc....

The 60s are fetching some pretty silly amounts of money lately, especially if close to stock. People want the image

I'd sell the 60 in a heartbeat while the market for them is red hot, and put the $ into the Ford, if you can do so and still be a bit under the weight limit.

Or... Sell them all and start over... regardless, id sell the 60

NOTE: Go one step bigger than you think you need and dont base a build of being JUST under the GVWR, give yourself a buffer

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
Not sure you financial situation... But... My .02

I've been a Toyota guy my entire life and owned one of almost every series LC except the 55.

I found the 60 was cool looking, and thats about it. It didnt really do much well, under powered, huge overhang, parts are $, etc....

The 60s are fetching some pretty silly amounts of money lately, especially if close to stock.

I'd sell the 60 in a heartbeat while the market for them is red hot, and put the $ into the Ford, if you can do so and still be a bit under the weight limit.

Or... Sell them all and start over... regardless, id sell the 60

NOTE: Go one step bigger than you think you need and dont base a build of being JUST under the GVWR, give yourself a buffer

Your points on the 60 are dead on. Under powered over weight.....i am starting to feel that way LOL.
I drove my 60 from VA to CO this past summer, while it did ok, in the mountains (even some of the steeper inclines in WV) 40 mph was about tops.
Plus add that parts are getting harder to come by and not any cheaper. I have put a ton into it and it still needs paint and lots of little things. I am just tired of "working" on it. That and it is just to damn slow.
I though about an engine swap, then decided that either upgrading one of my 3 vehicles or selling it out right is the solution.

Financial situation is ok, I just do not want to get another loan. I realized I have lived in the US for 21 years and in that time I have never not had a car loan until about this time last year.
It was nice to be free of that and it is the model moving forward. I told my wife we will get 1 car loan now and pay it off fast. That will be her car.

While I would like to keep my F150 (believe me it has been a great vehicle), at the higher mileage it is at, it is just not worth putting in much into the way of upgrades. While it will easly go another 100K I just cannot justify spending on it other than maintenance.

So now I need to figure out my budget, and start hunting for a F250/350 (ideally F350) with everything I want and having enough for some extras.
Budget was wiped out after discovering the 6.4L diesel was garbage. As the 5.4L gas was a solid engine and Ford is hit and miss with their diesels. Maybe gas is the way to go and What I will be looking for first. Good news is they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the diesel counterparts.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You didn’t say much about your type of camping use and or Wife camping comforts etc. Do you need a trail rig? Or just a nice riding utility with 4x4 snow, dirt road ability etc?

There are like a million + F150’s out there many city slicker low mileage weekend dad machines that can be had for cheap. Especially in high rent Urban places. I have 5 neighbors all with an extra vehicle ie rarely driven F150. At some point Someone will get a ripping deal on a clean low mileage F150 lol.
Get a cap for it and you have your comfortable, modern rig. Pick up a cute little used travel trailer for the wife factor and you’ve got all bases covered for a reasonable cost.

DCH109

Adventurer
You didn’t say much about your type of camping use and or Wife camping comforts etc. Do you need a trail rig? Or just a nice riding utility with 4x4 snow, dirt road ability etc?

There are like a million + F150’s out there many city slicker low mileage weekend dad machines that can be had for cheap. Especially in high rent Urban places. I have 5 neighbors all with an extra vehicle ie rarely driven F150. At some point Someone will get a ripping deal on a clean low mileage F150 lol.
Get a cap for it and you have your comfortable, modern rig. Pick up a cute little used travel trailer for the wife factor and you’ve got all bases covered for a reasonable cost.

Trail rig.....well sort of. Mainly old logging roads, forestry service roads, with some off the beaten track. I learned along time ago I am not a travel trailer guy, period.
Most of my travel is to the lake or river area that is harder to get to. I like to be away from the crowds.
The Slide in Camper is the only solution I am looking at. While my wife may come (it would be nice) my two kids would for sure. With that either they get a big comfy bed, or I do and the table in the kitchen areas will fold down to a bed (i have looked at several model with this, both popup type and hard sided type).
In the end the camper's only real luxury will be a self contained toilet/ shower.

Yes some may call it glamping, I will setup a tent for the kids......But after sleeping in a Roof top tent or ground tent and sitting on a little pett toilet, for the past 8 years since I have been car camping again, I decided that getting a slide in camper is now needed.
There is nothing wrong with the tent/ port a pottie. I am just over it, now in my life. Either I do the hotel/motel, or I setup my rig to be self contained. I prefer the self contained idea.

My last slide in camper was awesome and looking back it I was reminded on why I had it. I backpacked for years and a tent, foam mattress and sleeping bag were the norm. I got tired of that and moved to a camper. The ability to stop anywhere, crawl in the back and sleep with a locked door was a massive luxury. One I am going back to.

I will never stop camping even if my wife or kids do not like it or go with me again. So it is never in vain. But a travel trailer is absolutely out of the questions.

Sorry little rant there......

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Trail rig.....well sort of. Mainly old logging roads, forestry service roads, with some off the beaten track. I learned along time ago I am not a travel trailer guy, period.
Most of my travel is to the lake or river area that is harder to get to. I like to be away from the crowds.
The Slide in Camper is the only solution I am looking at. While my wife may come (it would be nice) my two kids would for sure. With that either they get a big comfy bed, or I do and the table in the kitchen areas will fold down to a bed (i have looked at several model with this, both popup type and hard sided type).
In the end the camper's only real luxury will be a self contained toilet/ shower.

Yes some may call it glamping, I will setup a tent for the kids......But after sleeping in a Roof top tent or ground tent and sitting on a little pett toilet, for the past 8 years since I have been car camping again, I decided that getting a slide in camper is now needed.
There is nothing wrong with the tent/ port a pottie. I am just over it, now in my life. Either I do the hotel/motel, or I setup my rig to be self contained. I prefer the self contained idea.

My last slide in camper was awesome and looking back it I was reminded on why I had it. I backpacked for years and a tent, foam mattress and sleeping bag were the norm. I got tired of that and moved to a camper. The ability to stop anywhere, crawl in the back and sleep with a locked door was a massive luxury. One I am going back to.

I will never stop camping even if my wife or kids do not like it or go with me again. So it is never in vain. But a travel trailer is absolutely out of the questions.

Sorry little rant there......
Got it. Sounds like the logging roads I grew up traveling on to remote trail heads in the Sierras, Coastal range, etc. As crazy as it sounds we hardly ever took the truck. Most trips were in the VW no joke! It sounds like you need the load capacity of the F250. Even a light weight popup type camper can start to weigh too much for the logging road trek. Pavement trucks/campers getting heavy isn’t a big deal, but logging road type stuff weight is a big enemy. Not as many cream puff city slicker F250’s as F150’s but if you take your time you can find Grandpas camper F250 with low miles and low wear n tear etc. F350 would be cool but even packed light getting a F350 stuck where lighter trucks zip on by wouldn’t be fun.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No wife - dad and kids only camping trips I go backpacker style. Small 4 man tent, tarp, chairs, basic cook stuff. Before I sold my Subaru Outback that was more less perfect for that type of trip. Now I have a 2019 Expedition and do lots of ride sharing hauling kids to sports etc. I do have a camp trailer basically a 4x6 utility trailer that has a tent that sits on it. Mostly used as a utility trailer, but we do a couple of trips a yr camping with it. Our 12day 2800 mile Zion-Moab National Park trip the tent/trailer was our crash pad.
With my two kids if I could go truck it would need to be a 6ft bed and I would probably get one of those pop up caps kids in bunk o cot on the floor and me up top. I looked at campers for yrs and they just don’t work with kids or more than 2 people.
Plus we never are “in” camp we are out hiking, boating exploring etc all day. Camp is just a spot to park, eat and sleep.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Your paying cash. Everything is paid off. Decide exactly what you want and save for 6-12 months until you can afford exactly that.

Don’t settle for the car equity you have today that doesn’t buy quite what you want. You’ll always be a little unhappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCH109

Adventurer
What is the budget then? Because I linked 3 trucks all under 30k w/7.3L.

After looking at everything I will have to boost my budget. It was under 20K, but It may be more now. 30K is still a stretch as this would have to include any modifications.

Your paying cash. Everything is paid off. Decide exactly what you want and save for 6-12 months until you can afford exactly that.

Don’t settle for the car equity you have today that doesn’t buy quite what you want. You’ll always be a little unhappy.

Exactly, paying cash and that is what I am holding off for a few months till I can raise more capital. I do not need much, but after looking what is available, vs what I will be happy with, I need to push the budget up a bit.
This truck need to last for the next 5-8 years.

DCH109

Adventurer
No wife - dad and kids only camping trips I go backpacker style. Small 4 man tent, tarp, chairs, basic cook stuff. Before I sold my Subaru Outback that was more less perfect for that type of trip. Now I have a 2019 Expedition and do lots of ride sharing hauling kids to sports etc. I do have a camp trailer basically a 4x6 utility trailer that has a tent that sits on it. Mostly used as a utility trailer, but we do a couple of trips a yr camping with it. Our 12day 2800 mile Zion-Moab National Park trip the tent/trailer was our crash pad.
With my two kids if I could go truck it would need to be a 6ft bed and I would probably get one of those pop up caps kids in bunk o cot on the floor and me up top. I looked at campers for yrs and they just don’t work with kids or more than 2 people.
Plus we never are “in” camp we are out hiking, boating exploring etc all day. Camp is just a spot to park, eat and sleep.

The SUV will be my wife's. that is the sports, long haul to Disney or the beach.
The camper is the weekend or week trip with the kids (and wife) to fish or hike or what ever.

I grew up in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Every chance I got I would get out of there into the mountains. I started with a '83 VW rabbit. then to a BJ42 Land Cruiser, then to my F150 and eventually with a camper. That camper was the best. I took it everywhere and yes many places the VW would have made it to and much more it would have not. While it only had a port a potti in it, it was nice to cook inside and when pouring rain stay nice and dry while I watched other in tents getting soaked.
I want my kids to like camping and the outdoors (how I grew up) but I do not want them to hate it if it is raining. Alot of kids (where i live now) never go outside, are stuck in front of the boob tube or just play on their phone or video games. Getting them away from it all and if I can do it comfortably for them, why not.

As for a camper for 4, they are still young as they get older yes I would agree it will get tight. At that point I will look at alternitives and maybe buy a piece of land somewhere. For now they are the right size, and as you mentioned only a base camp.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Rain is going to be miserable in all the things you’ve talked about for a family of 4. I’ve been there.

A few campers ago we bought a nice few year old pop up on a 12ft box. I flipped the axle and put real AT 215/75r15 tires on it and went through the whole thing making it tough. I ended up with about $7k in it. It was crazy comfortable inside for how easy it was to tow. I could also get it anywhere I wanted on the dirt.

We spent rainy days in it and it was really nice due to the wide open windows making it feel much larger than it was.

If I didn’t live in an area that was 95 degrees in the summer I’d still have it.

I think that direction is a severely under looked option that would be a much better solution than a lot of the “overland” stuff people on here get starry eyed over.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
This is what we ended up with. That manual slide made it huge inside and there was zero to break on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior